Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Eh? Who was she?
    Ah, just realised I'm thinking of 'Smoke and Mirriors'

In that case it was not such a good book as I can hardly remember anything of it, just "Thor" and the description of some of the gods in their true form.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    Ah, just realised I'm thinking of 'Smoke and Mirriors'

In that case it was not such a good book as I can hardly remember anything of it, just "Thor" and the description of some of the gods in their true form.
    I've read Smoke and Mirrors too and I don't think I remember that... was that the woman who ate the dog??

The only ones I remember are that one, the alternate Victorian universe one and the troll one.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Just started Day of the Triffids as I've been on a John Wyndham kick (I LOVE and highly recommend The Chrysalids and The Kraken Wakes). It seems to be delivering pretty well so far, jumping straight into some very haunting stuff.

I've not been able to tear through it as much as I'd want though, as I've just started a training period for a new telephone banking job complete with a shitload of product knowledge and compliance-based homework that is really refusing to comply with my braincells, and at the same time I'm doing an OU degree in English Language and Literature...

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    I've read Smoke and Mirrors too and I don't think I remember that... was that the woman who ate the dog??

The only ones I remember are that one, the alternate Victorian universe one and the troll one.
    I just had a look at Smoke and Mirrors, its all short stories so its not that.

It's Neverwhere! Thats the book! >< Damn my pickled mind!

It's near the start when he gets taken to the Rat god, which is actually a rat. The Rat tells his worshipers to help him to the market to find Door (I think thats her name), Anastasia is the one volunteered to take him.

They get on really well and there might have been a small romance there, but as they cross the bridge which is in complete darkness she is taken by something. Short but sweet character.
    Last edited by LoSTBoY; 17-Apr-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Absolution

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by LoSTBoY View Post
    It's Neverwhere!
    Ah okay, haven't read that one! I've been slightly put off Gaiman's novels after American Gods but maybe I should give that one a go.

While I wait for the 2nd and 3rd True Blood novels to come in at the library (just ordered them in yesterday!) I am now currently reading:

After watching the film I was always put off reading the book as I thought it would be really heavy going, impenetrable sci-fi, but chapter 1 at least is very straightforward!
    La freak, c'est chic!

Undisclosed
    I could see how American Gods would put off those who aren't familiar with the source mythology. I always liked that so as I read the book I had a ton of those "wait a minute" moments where I thought I knew who he referred to and was almost always right except I got Shadow totally wrong funny enough.

I travel the U.S. extensively and especially love the the old Indian country in the western half of the U.S. and especially like that mythology/religion of the various tribes. I nailed "whisky jack" immediately which most never figure out.

But all in all I like the language and tone of the book. Gaiman sets a very definite tempo that marches relentlessly toward armageddon and yet it has all the time in the world to flesh out Shadows lonesomeness and want to let others manipulate him (or so it seems).

In my op, American Gods is as great of an American Gothic Novel as Good Omens is a spirited English Comedy. Both are great reading and I highly recommend them.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    American Gods is as great of an American Gothic Novel as Good Omens is a spirited English Comedy.
    That might be it actually- perhaps the American-ness of American Gods made it harder for me to really "get" most of it (not being familiar with 95% of the mythology or any of the locations) whereas the essential English-ness of Good Omens tapped straight into my brain and made me fall in love with it immediately
    La freak, c'est chic!

United States

thread resurrection time

just got a copy of "johnny got his gun" in the mail yesterday after hearing good things about it. anyone ever read this?

i'm aware that it's very much an anti-war novel and could possibly counter many of my feelings about the subject, but i'm not that close-minded where i can't enjoy great writing due to personal feelings...

United States
    I found this author Thomas Ligotti and he
    is really something.

The book is titled "my work is not yet done'
    and it really is like nothing i read in a while.

Twisted stuff, but written in an almost Lovecraft fashion.

United States
    thread necromancy again, but just wanted to share that i'm currently being blown away by stephen king's 11/22/63 and i highly recommend it to king fans and those with an interest in time travel and/or the jfk assassination.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 27-Aug-2013 at 01:39 AM. Reason: .

Administrator

England
    I'm on a bit of a Arthur C Clarke run at the moment. This includes:-

A Fall Of Moondust (1961)
    The Fountains of Paradise (1979)
    The Ghosts From The Grand Bank (1990)
    Richter 10 (1996)
    The Light Of Other Days (2000)
    Just starting... The Hammer Of God (1993)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    highly recommend it to king fans and those with an interest in time travel and/or the jfk assassination.
    On my list!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Metro 2034, self-explanatory
    Alla monster måste dö (All Monsters Must Die), a non-fiction book written about a trip to North Korea.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Lots of things in Danish...hmm
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    The Long Goodbye, Raymond Chandler.

Brilliant.