Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm on a bit of a Arthur C Clarke run at the moment. This includes:-
    have you ever read "the city and the stars" by Clarke? if not, you should give it a look.

"the years of the city" by Fredrik Pohl is a good read as well...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Finally cracking open DUNE, i always considered the movie garbage, but now the hate for it makes sense.

United States
    I have breezed through the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher recently. They are pretty awesome. I'm on book 9 right now. . . loving it. Gonna be sad when I am caught up.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    I have breezed through the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher recently. They are pretty awesome. I'm on book 9 right now. . . loving it. Gonna be sad when I am caught up.
    Not heard of them before - Worth a read then?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah. . sort of magic/noir. . . like a snarky Sam Spade in an urban fantasy setting. First person perspective. Very self aware. Not deep stuff at all, but really great fluff with a suprising charm. Just Fun
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Undisclosed
    Actually just finished rereading The Hunger Games trilogy ( which sis got me last Xmas, because I like dystopian/end of the world books and movies ) and I've decided it's still a decent series. Of course, as a much older reader than its intended audience, there's alot of 'I've read this before. ' moments.

I've also been reading a nonfic book by C.S.Lewis, based off of a radio series which he performed during World War II, called 'Mere Christianity. ' given to me by this sweet young lady who life-guarded at my pool this summer. Although it's not as fun as The Screwtape Letters, it is still very much the work of a spiritual intellectual and is quietly specific as to what should matter most in being a Christian.

Wayne Z

United States
    Just picked up a book about the history of National Lampoon. as Michael O'Donohue & Doug Kenney are comedy gods to me, it's been an enlightening read...
    Those aren't real problems, Sam.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by wayzim View Post
    Actually just finished rereading The Hunger Games trilogy
    I enjoyed them, but I found them a bit up and down in quality/interest.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I enjoyed them, but I found them a bit up and down in quality/interest.
    It's the sad fact that we are no longer young readers, I think. And there were always bits within the over-all history of Panem which I still question how it can work. In all honesty, as she endlessly shifted between hero and antihero, Katniss sort of grated on me by the end of the second book. Still, alot of that comes from my over familiarity with the genre.
    And I still haven't seen the first movie yet.

Wayne Z
    Last edited by wayzim; 30-Aug-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: cuz

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The Dresden Files was a decent show too...
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

Germany
    Recently finished Stephen King's 11/2​2/63, and I just started Robert Heinlein's unabridged Stranger in a Strange Land.

Undisclosed
    Well.....its been....years fellas. I recognize a few names from the old days. Howdy.

The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbeque by Daniel Vaughn. There is only one bbq and that is Texas bbq. Forget that pretender crap in Kansas City or that garbage pulled pork in the Carolinas. Vaughn takes you on a MASSIVE road trip through Texas with the good and bad of the Republic of Texas bbq. Its a large hardbound book with great photos, recipes, maps, etc... If you worship the gods of smoked meat, then get this book.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappingbear View Post
    Well.....its been....years fellas. I recognize a few names from the old days. Howdy.

The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbeque by Daniel Vaughn. There is only one bbq and that is Texas bbq. Forget that pretender crap in Kansas City or that garbage pulled pork in the Carolinas. Vaughn takes you on a MASSIVE road trip through Texas with the good and bad of the Republic of Texas bbq. Its a large hardbound book with great photos, recipes, maps, etc... If you worship the gods of smoked meat, then get this book.
    A BBQ road trip? OK! That's different at least!
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Finished DUNE the other day. First half is great, like a sci-fi game of thrones, then it turns into avatar "white man goes native, but still shows how hes better than them" horseshit and ends in full wish fullfilment "and then my literary avatar won everything and became literal emperor of the universe"...

I wouldnt recommend it honestly. Not sure why it gets so much praise.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

I wouldnt recommend it honestly. Not sure why it gets so much praise.
    More because it was landmark for its time. You're looking back through the cultural detritus of a lot of things built upon similar concepts and that makes it look pedestrian.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany