Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    More because it was landmark for its time. You're looking back through the cultural detritus of a lot of things built upon similar concepts and that makes it look pedestrian.
    ah, Charles Schultz syndrome then.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I just started Robert Heinlein's unabridged Stranger in a Strange Land.
    My aunt, who loved sci-fi and reading as much as i do, left me a first edition of Stranger - with the dust jacket intact and in nearly perfect shape. One of the nicest things anyone ever gave me.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    My aunt, who loved sci-fi and reading as much as i do, left me a first edition of Stranger - with the dust jacket intact and in nearly perfect shape. One of the nicest things anyone ever gave me.
    Luv Luv this book, but then I'm a child of the sixties and seventies so it's almost a requirement ...

And with a harem of hotties, Jubal's Angels? as well ... as an intellectual horndog, I so grokked this.

Wayne Z

Undisclosed
    My wife (actually we're not married, but hey, she's the mother of our two sons) gave me a huge box in gift wrap paper. Inside I found the six volumes of Otomo's original Akira manga.

Finished reading them the other day. Mind blown.

United States
    Currently, I am reading a thread entitled "What are you currently reading?" on homepageofthedead.com

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    Currently, I am reading a thread entitled "What are you currently reading?" on homepageofthedead.com
    *smack!*
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    I'm reading Liebe Deinen Nächsten by Remarque. yeah, he wrote other books beside Im Westen Nichts Neues.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    Reading Son of Perdition, by Wendy Alec, part 3 of the Chronicles of Brothers series. Got all four published volumes of a planned seven. Follows the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Lucifer from God's plan to create Man, with the first part actually called The Fall of Lucifer, and follows three Earthly brothers, Jason, Adrian and Nicholas de Vere, one of which is Lucifer's clone.

Good Christian based fantasy from the beginnings of Man to the Final Battle in the near-future.
    "and I looked and beheld, a zombie stamped with the number of the Beast"

United States
    11/22/63 was great, really enjoyed that. moved on to another recent king work, joyland, which is pretty damn good so far.

United States
    Right now, reading Jeff Lindsay's "Dexter's Final Cut"

When I'm done, it's off to read Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep"

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    11/22/63 was great, really enjoyed that. moved on to another recent king work, joyland, which is pretty damn good so far.
    11/22/63 is a brilliant book, i didnt really enjoy joyland much though

- - - Updated - - -

im a massive Stephen King fan and ive read all his books and now im starting again from the beginning with Carrie
    Get that damn screwdriver out of my head!

United States
    yes, 11/22/63 was the best book i'd read in ages.....joyland started out promising, but really kinda petered out and left me feeling kinda let down.

edit: and i'm currently reading the big sleep by raymond chandler, with intentions of reading all the marlowe novels in succession.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 19-Oct-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: .

Gospel Oak/Chalk Farm (around that area), Camden, London
    UK
    Too many things at once lol

1984 by George Orwell
    Neuromancer by William Gibson
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland

and about 6 other books that i can't remember the titles to right now.

England
    I'm about a third of the way through World War Z now, just after the battle of Yonkers part, really enjoying it so far, no idea why I haven't read it before now!

Administrator

England
    Rendezvous with Rama 2 & 3... And wishing I wasn't... Pretty poorly written affairs!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan