Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

United States

I'm currently re-reading my Executioner collection. Polished off the 1st eighteen & started #19 today. Loves me some Mack Bolan I does.

Super Moderator

Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    that is a damn fine read, ron. should be a quick one too. the book to me is like listening to jazz, it just keeps falling forward into something new. i love the way there is not one single wasted word in the entire work. very spare prose and very little use of punctuation.
    I am about 70 pages from done. I like it a lot even though it plays upon the emotion and fears of being a parent. Yet I think it is accessible to most folks who want a good read.

Administrator

England

Tis a looooooong read.... and I don't read much! Read the first of the two books in it, so just the second (longer) book to go! Argh!

United States
    The Last Stand of Fox Company by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.
    234 US Marines in Korea trying to hold a hill while severely outnumbered by the Chinese. Three-fourths of Fox Company are killed but they still manage to hold out until reinforcements arrive. Amazing book.
    Last edited by DawnGirl27; 11-Jan-2009 at 08:22 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    I am about 70 pages from done. I like it a lot even though it plays upon the emotion and fears of being a parent. Yet I think it is accessible to most folks who want a good read.
    i read an interview with cormac mccarthy recently where he talks about that very thing. apparently, he wrote the boy in the book to closely resemble his son.

McCarthy said the inspiration for The Road came during a 2003 visit to El Paso, Texas, with his young son. Imagining what the city might look like in the future, he pictured "fires on the hill" and thought about his son. He took some initial notes but did not return to the idea until a few years later, while in Ireland. Then, the novel came to him quickly, and he dedicated it to his son, John Francis McCarthy
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I got this as an xmas gift.
    destined to be a classic I'm sure.
    I never knew bigfoots were into womens underwear.

United Kingdom
    I am currently reading:

and re-skim-reading:

Bonfire of the Vanities is a bit like a crap 60s version of American Psycho minus the sex and violence so far (admittedly I'm only 1/5 of the way through)... not that it was actually written in the 60s... it just feels like a hippie writing about the 80s I will try to finish it though.

Subculture: The Meaning of Style is great, even though I don't necessarily agree with 100% of it, it is a very interesting look at mainly punk.

The next book I'm planning on reading is:

I saw her on a TV show the other day (honest! She was a talking head on some MTV programme) and according to her Wiki entry she's had a pretty interesting life!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

England
    I think we've all seen some of jennas "oscar performances" chic

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I think we've all seen some of jennas "oscar performances" chic
    I'm probably the only person in the world who actually hasn't I'm quite tempted to now though, she was adorable in that MTV thing, and I usually find that whole bleached hair/ fake tan/ pink lip gloss/ silicon D cups look pretty dull.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    I'm reading "Rorke's Drift - 1879" by Ian Knight. Hell of a battle. I've read it before, but years ago. An easy read.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post

Tis a looooooong read.... and I don't read much! Read the first of the two books in it, so just the second (longer) book to go! Argh!
    FANTASTIC book. I'm currently on the last book in the Endymion Omnibus (the sequel story to the Hyperion books) and I really feel like I've been on a 400 year journey. It has, after all, taken me the best part of a year to get through the first three books.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    FANTASTIC book. I'm currently on the last book in the Endymion Omnibus (the sequel story to the Hyperion books) and I really feel like I've been on a 400 year journey. It has, after all, taken me the best part of a year to get through the first three books.
    Finding the beginning of the second book a bit slow... But I'll keep battling on

Undisclosed
    I just finished a non-fiction book, In Heaven, Everything Is Fine. It tells the story of a musician, Peter Ivers, who helped bring the L.A. New Wave to the forefront in the late 70's, early 80s. People like John Belushi, Harold Ramis, Chevy Chase - they are all part of this story. (Anyone remember New Wave Theater on Night Flight on USA?)

And then it gets into the details of Ivers brutal murder in a downtown loft.

It's very well written and if you have any interest in punk/new wave music of the 80s, it's very detailed.

pJ
    Last edited by PJoseph; 14-Jan-2009 at 12:43 AM.
    "See you in L.A., Marvin." - Jack Walsh

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by PJoseph View Post
    (Anyone remember New Wave Theater on Night Flight on USA?)
    hell yes i do. loved that segment and night flight in general. i watched that show pretty much every weekend. you never quite knew what you were going to see on there but it was almost always something really cool.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Undisclosed
    Hogfather by terry pratchett. I cant get enough and he finally got his knighthood, and Bonfire of the Vanities? Ive been meaning to read that for a while had it reccomended by a few. Worth the read Chic?
    Why arent you laughing?