Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R.I.P. Sid Haig

Super Moderator

UK

R.I.P. Sid Haig

Sid Haig - perhaps best known as Captain Spaulding from "House of 1,000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects", but also numerous classic 70s exploitation movies like "Coffy", "Foxy Brown", "Savage Sisters", "Black Mama White Mama", "The Big Doll House" and "The Big Bird Cage", as well as numerous other movies like "Bone Tomahawk", "Hatchet III", "Halloween (2007)", "Jackie Brown", "Galaxy of Terror", "THX-1138", and a whole host of television appearances including "Mission: Impossible", "The A-Team", and "The Fall Guy" - passed away on Saturday the 21st.

We'll get to see him play Captain Spaulding one last time in "3 From Hell", although unfortunately his role had to be minimised due to his poor health at the time - but they sneaked him on-set for one last blast as the killer clown, thankfully.

Here's a little taste of Spaulding's introduction in "House of 1,000 Corpses".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V82hFRJcrj0

Administrator

England
    We're getting to that distance away from all these films now aren't we
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    I've always loved anything he was in, or at least his performances. Will truly be missed.

United States
    I was so mad I got to the theatre late for 3 From Hell. This dude was cool af. What a presence.

Was an instant fan once I saw Captain Spaulding.

RIP, Captain.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Ireland
    Captain Spaulding me arse.

This is the real Sid Haig

Attached Images
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    This dude was even in the old Batman TV show, he was King Tut's Apothecary

United States
    Captain Spaulding was awesome. Gave the man a Resurrection and more work. He loved and appreciated the role.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Neil - yeah, sadly for us genre fans, I think the next few years are going to be rough as so many of our icons are in their twilight years. However, we will always have their work to remember them by, and they'll be able to continue having their work appreciated and enjoyed for generations to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Captain Spaulding was awesome. Gave the man a Resurrection and more work. He loved and appreciated the role.
    Aye, I was reading that he was so pleasantly surprised to get a new lease of life on his career at the age of 60. He thought he'd retired from the biz, but Captain Spaulding produced another 20 years of work and brought him to a whole new audience's appreciation.

Seems like he was a genuinely good dude, too.

Once you get to recognise an actor such as Sid Haig, everytime you watch something and suddenly they pop up on screen it brings a big smile to your face.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Neil - yeah, sadly for us genre fans, I think the next few years are going to be rough as so many of our icons are in their twilight years. However, we will always have their work to remember them by, and they'll be able to continue having their work appreciated and enjoyed for generations to come.

Aye, I was reading that he was so pleasantly surprised to get a new lease of life on his career at the age of 60. He thought he'd retired from the biz, but Captain Spaulding produced another 20 years of work and brought him to a whole new audience's appreciation.

Seems like he was a genuinely good dude, too.

Once you get to recognise an actor such as Sid Haig, everytime you watch something and suddenly they pop up on screen it brings a big smile to your face.
    He was for sure a character actor. He'll be missed.

United States
    Sad news. He will definitely be missed. RIP Sid.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Tootie-f*ckin-Fruitie.

United States
    Just watched 3 From Hell and wow did he look bad in that. Hard to watch

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenochrome View Post
    Just watched 3 From Hell and wow did he look bad in that. Hard to watch
    It was amazing they even managed to get that little bit filmed - the insurance company covering the film didn't want to insure Haig on-set, so they literally had to sneak him in for a couple of hours to get the wrap-up stuff with Spaulding.

A real shame. However, it's interesting to watch the film as you can see some echoes of Spaulding in the character of Foxy, who was written in to replace Spaulding.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It was amazing they even managed to get that little bit filmed - the insurance company covering the film didn't want to insure Haig on-set, so they literally had to sneak him in for a couple of hours to get the wrap-up stuff with Spaulding.

A real shame. However, it's interesting to watch the film as you can see some echoes of Spaulding in the character of Foxy, who was written in to replace Spaulding.
    I got to the theater late and totally missed Sid Haig’s part. Was waiting for him the whole movie.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I got to the theater late and totally missed Sid Haig’s part. Was waiting for him the whole movie.
    Dang.

Have you been able to re-watch the movie yet?