Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zombie Film and Director Question - Zombie Mythology

Super Moderator

UK
    I just absolutely love the music in the trailer for Zombi 3, it's pure class.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    We'll have no-bad-mouthing of italian pop while I'm around!
    As bad as Italian Pop might be, I'd rather chill to that than J-Pop any day of the week. Still might be diet soda, but better than the Japanese Variant.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    I prefer a creature that makes sense given the rules and theme of the movie. That is, if you craft a story around it that makes since it won't matter if they walk, run or just sit there and fart.

For example and just to piss MZ off cause he's clueless the zombies in Dawn 2K4 worked because Dawn 2K4, a clumsy remake of Aliens, is an attempt at an action movie. They were never meant to be creepy, or scary in the traditional sense. They needed walking dead that came as a fast powerful waves, not in a slow lumbering fashion. The benefits of a slow zombie wouldn't have worked. Likewise, fast moving zombies would ruin the original night, dawn or day.

Now, D2K4 had problems, mostly in the script to be sure, but the zombies were right for that style of movie and the rules it set out. Personally, I found it fun, but it's certainly not a classic. A solid B movie.

So in terms of your movies, just make your creatures fit the story. In my opinion, shamblers work best when the zombies aren't the antagonist of the story. That's why Day/Dawn/Dead work while Land/Diary ultimately fail.

Twitching

United States
    Personally I'm of the opinion that it isn't what speed the zombies move at, its what kind of story you have going on that's important. It's when directors/scriptwriters do things "originally" solely for the sake of being different that problems arise.

Conversely, I think there are conventions in the genre so overdone that they can't be successfully re-used. Example: What can one really add to the Humans Besieged By Zombies concept? One B-movie or another has done just about every setting imaginable for humans to barricade themselves inside of to try and protect themselves from zombies. What story of any quality can really be told with such a tired convention?

I'm also gonna have to say I agree with all those that mentioned whatever "rules" you decide on for your zombies you need to adhere to them religiously. One of my biggest beefs with the Resident Evil series is that every time they want to break their conventions they simply whip up T-Virus Version 1 million and Twelve and voila, new weird mutant dead thing.

I'd like to see some stronger characterization in zombie flicks. GAR gave us some truly memorable characters, but who else did as much? If pressed, your average zombie fan could probably come up with Alice from RE. Otherwise most characters are forgettable redshirts, forgotten as soon as the credits roll.