Thread: another tale of parental idiocy...

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

another tale of parental idiocy...

this time involving the sale (for purposes of marriage) of a 14 year old girl for, get this, beer, meat and $16,000.

WTF??

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7829382.stm

the assholes involved in this case are trying to argue that such exchanges are part of their "culture."

Police said they learnt of the deal when Marcelino de Jesus Martinez came to them asking for help after his neighbour failed to pay up.
    Mr Gebmeier said that when his officers began investigating the case, the Trique community had not been aware that it was against the law to arrange a marriage for money with a minor.
    in the words of the cop investigating:

"We're aware of the cultural issues here, but state law trumps cultural sensitivity."
    it damn sure does. nothing pisses me off more than when someone tries to excuse their idiotic and illegal behavior by claiming it's part of their "traditions" or "culture."
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    As reprehensible as this is to western cultures, this sort of practice is common in parts of rural Mexico. Not defending the practice, mind you, -personally I find it to be awful- but that this happened might in fact be a figment of the father's ignorance of the laws of the USA.

Likely this dude and the 18 year old "groom" will do little, if any, time for this crime.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    This is just backwards. I liked it better when we got dowries for gettin' hitched to chicks. That gives me a thought...

One male: mid-30s, economically stable and in good health (kung fu grip + child bearing hips), will take XBox 360, pallet of Cheetos and 1 case of Sobe Power for a promise of marriage. Substitutions accepted, but must be negotiated ahead of time.

Please, no ugos.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post

One male: mid-30s, economically stable and in good health (kung fu grip + child bearing hips), will take XBox 360, pallet of Cheetos and 1 case of Sobe Power for a promise of marriage. Substitutions accepted, but must be negotiated ahead of time.

Please, no ugos.

the pallet of cheetos part is what sent me over the edge into guffawland.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."