Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oldest metal fan in Britain?

Kazakhstan
    I think Kraken knows that a thread concerned with the metal in anyway with inevitably turn to discussion of the metal in terms of best LPs

Countdown to Extinction rules. I stick by my opinion, Metallica won the war, but when it came to streamlining the thrash sound for the radio, Megadeth won the battle. By the way decline of western civilisation 2 is on youtube
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    By the way decline of western civilisation 2 is on youtube
    i haven't seen that in like 15 years or more. a lot of it revolved around bands i really couldn't stand back then and still can't stand. the only things i really remember about it are: one of the dudes from WASP (i think) sitting in his pool on a floaty piss drunk holding a bottle of booze while his obviously embarrassed mom looked on. a couple of assholes in a shitty band talking about how they were more famous than the doors (or was it the who)? and one of the dudes from aerosmith (steven tyler maybe?) going on about how much money he'd spent on coke over the years. those few things and that ricki rachtman managed to insinuate himself into the film somehow.
    Last edited by Mike70; 21-Jan-2009 at 11:57 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i haven't seen that in like 15 years or more. a lot of it revolved around bands i really couldn't stand back then and still can't stand. the only things i really remember about it are: one of the dudes from WASP (i think) sitting in his pool on a floaty piss drunk holding a bottle of booze while his obviously embarrassed mom looked on. a couple of assholes in a shitty band talking about how they were more famous than the doors (or was it the who)? and one of the dudes from aerosmith (steven tyler maybe?) going on about how much money he'd spent on coke over the years. those few things and that ricki rachtman managed to insinuate himself into the film somehow.
    I own this movie and love it/watch it a ton, because it's pretty hilarious.

It was Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P. - he was kicked outta the band after the movie premiered, for his behavior in the film. Pretty unmetal, if you ask me.

Can't seem to recall anyone mentioning being bigger than The Doors or The Who.

Yes, it was Steven Tyler, along with Joe Perry.

Ricki Rachtman was in the film because he helped run The Cathouse, which was a club that was somewhat bio'd in the film.

PS - I'm a fan of Faster Pussycat. And L.A. Guns. And Dangerous Toys. And I don't give a fuck what anyone says!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    yep, sure has. it happened while you were on vacation.
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    I think Kraken knows that a thread concerned with the metal in anyway with inevitably turn to discussion of the metal in terms of best LPs
    Yeah, it's cool - I'm a bit of a metal head myself - so it's all good. The only reason I haven't joined in the debate is that I'm not so much a thrash nut as a power metal fag.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anything Early Metallica or Megadeth for me when it comes to older Metal. For todays Metal I prefer Black Label Society, which is more a hard rock than Metal, but still a rockin' good time.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Can't seem to recall anyone mentioning being bigger than The Doors or The Who.
    i could very well be crossing memories. i know that somewhere, once upon a time, i heard an interview with a totally shitty band and they were bragging about how they were more famous than either the doors or the who.

i probably saw this on headbangers ball back in the late 80s/early 90s instead of in this movie. i'm getting old and confused

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Yeah, it's cool - I'm a bit of a metal head myself - so it's all good. The only reason I haven't joined in the debate is that I'm not so much a thrash nut as a power metal fag.
    do we have a manowar fan in our midst?
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Jan-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    do we have a manowar fan in our midst?
    Quite like them, although I wouldn't say they're exactly power metal (lyrically similar, but more akin to old-school trad-metal in their sound). I tend to listen to more stuff like: Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Helloween, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Metal Church, Alestorm, etc etc. Maiden are probably my favourite band.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 22-Jan-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Quite like them, although I wouldn't say they're exactly power metal (lyrically similar, but more akin to old-school trad-metal in their sound). I tend to listen to more stuff like: Sonata Arctica, Kamelot, Helloween, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth, Turisas, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Metal Church, Alestorm, etc etc. Maiden are probably my favourite band.
    that was my lame attempt at humor.

iced earth and metal church are both cool bands. honestly, i haven't heard anything that metal church has done in eons. i heard david wayne got killed in a car accident, sad news that.

i really liked "horror show" by iced earth. that is probably the record of theirs that i've listened to the most. the cover album they did had some cool shit on it too.

maiden are, well, maiden and i've been listening to them since like 1981 or 82. in fact, since i first saw the videos for "iron maiden" and "running free" on MTV when it first started up, you know, back when MTV actually played music.

this very video in fact:

Last edited by Mike70; 22-Jan-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Manowar fan? Guilty! How can you not like ultra-cheesy/overthetop lyrics over arena-esque heavy metal?! Plus, they do have some pretty blazing tracks (Wheels Of Fire comes to mind).

Metal Church rules. Armored Saint is cool. Other than those two, power metal is one subgenre of metal that I just can not get into.

Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.

I'm going to go add to the metal thread in Media Discussion if anybody cares on continuing this discussion there!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Manowar fan? Guilty! How can you not like ultra-cheesy/overthetop lyrics over arena-esque heavy metal?! Plus, they do have some pretty blazing tracks (Wheels Of Fire comes to mind).

Metal Church rules. Armored Saint is cool. Other than those two, power metal is one subgenre of metal that I just can not get into.

Kraken, I don't know if this is what you were doing, but Maiden isn't really lumped into the power metal category.

I'm going to go add to the metal thread in Media Discussion if anybody cares on continuing this discussion there!
    i'll be on over. i like manowar too, though i consider them a rather guilty pleasure.

capncnut
    i like manowar too, though i consider them a rather guilty pleasure.
    Well, with titles such as Drums Of Doom, Kings Of Metal and The Power Of Thy Sword, it's kinda hard to not have a soft spot for ol' Manowar.
    Last edited by capncnut; 22-Jan-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    Well, with titles such as Drums Of Doom, Kings Of Metal and The Power Of Thy Sword, it's kinda hard to not have a soft spot for ol' Manowar.
    how bout "hatred" from "into glory ride?" the tune that has those extended wails from eric adams that sound as if someone has his dangling bits in an ever tightening vice grip.

i mostly like the stuff from "into glory ride", "hail to england", and "sign of the hammer." some of the stuff from "fighting the world" is cool but that album is over produced as all fuck in my opinion.
    Last edited by Mike70; 23-Jan-2009 at 12:37 AM.