Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My company has started letting people go

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Sounds familiar. Years ago I used to work for a chain of retail "entertainment superstores" that specialized in music, movies, books & software all under one roof. They incompetence-ed themselves right out of business. Liquidators came in & let most people go immediately w/ no prior warning, right before Christmas. They kept the rest on for a few weeks while the clearanced the store out, letting them go gradually. Then one day they showed up for work & the doors were closed.

Fortunately I had been gone a for a few years before that went down, but I still had friends there. I could see the writing on the wall even when I was there, though. Gross mismanagement of a great concept.

I know there was a major cookie company here in Ohio just a month or two ago that the employees showed up for work one day & *BOOM*, doors are locked, plant's closed. Lot's of LONG term employees who can kiss their retirement goodbye.

Good times.....
    That wasn't MediaPlay perchance was it? I used to work there too. . but I was out years before they went out of business. Great place tho. I miss it.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    That wasn't MediaPlay perchance was it?
    Hehe, I almost asked the same question the other day! It sucked when Media Play closed, they had 90% of everything I wanted to spend extra cash on and had great business hours to boot.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    That wasn't MediaPlay perchance was it? I used to work there too. . but I was out years before they went out of business. Great place tho. I miss it.
    Yes, yes it was. I was a great chain & a great concept. As I said though, poor business management lead to it's demise unfortunately.

United States
    Well, the hits keep on comin'...the announcement was made today that the company is closing 3 fulfillment centers across the country. Other FC's in the region are picking up the extra volume.They're smaller, older ones, so it's probably overdue & a good business move, but still...

Fortunately, my FC is the largest (not in sq footage, but volume) in the company, AND they just sunk a million bucks into this building last year to expand it, so I'm still pretty safe, but it's a sad sign that tough times continue...

United States
    Good Luck man. I hope you stay on. . it can definitely be harrowing during time like these.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    They always bleat about being "under projected sales". Funny how they don't mention the multi-billion-dollar profits they're still making. It's not like they need to close things and fire people to stay in business (and still make billions), it's that they aren't making as many billions as they think they "should". Put greed over your job, every time.
    Last edited by SRP76; 07-Feb-2009 at 02:00 AM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    They always bleat about being "under projected sales". Funny how they don't mention the multi-billion-dollar profits they're still making. It's not like they need to close things and fire people to stay in business (and still make billions), it's that they aren't making as many billions as they think they "should". Put greed over your job, every time.
    You got it exactly. The company is still doing well, but because they're not raking it in like they were a year or 2 ago then, "Quick! Time to run in circles & start panicking!"