Thread: Vacation to...Eastern Europe?!?!

United States

Vacation to...Eastern Europe?!?!

So, I get the other half of my enlistment bonus this year which should be right around $8,000.

But, why spend it on Silly capitalist trinkets and wasteful technology, when I could head to the glorious...

SOVIET REPUBLIC OF BELARUS!

Why Belarus you ask? Well A few reasons, first of all I hear everything is quite cheap, crime is low to because of that whole dictatorship thing. The fact that the KGB is still called the KGB in Belarus.

The fact that it's the last echo of the cold war in Europe. I grew up when the cold war was already a thing of the past, so to be able to see part of it still alive intrigues me.

I mean how many countries still do this?

I would like to spend some time in Belarus, then head up to St. Petersburg and take the trans-Siberian railroad to Vladivostok and fly home from there, but that's probably uber expensive, so I'll probably just stay there.

That and this

That's a picture of my family taken in Pinsk in the early 20th century. That little boy in the top right is my great grandfather. I would like to see if any of that side of my family survived two world wars, Nazi persecution against Jew's and the oppression of the Soviet Union.

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Who wants to come with?
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'll pass on coming but it sounds like a great idea, esp. if you really could find any of your distant relations.

i can relate the whole family thing. i visited england when i was in my mid 20s and two of the places i went to were York and Carlisle, which are where my family originally came from. i made no attempt to find anyone i might be distantly related to (after 3 centuries that'd be damned hard anyway) but it was still very, very cool to be in the places where they started out.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

England
    [QUOTE=Mike70;174934]two of the places i went to were York QUOTE]

I was out on the razzle in york last saturday night,i like it there!loads of history,plus i met a hot girl