Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Great Orator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Sad but true, for most people (non-politicians) as well, I'm sure. God knows I'm no mean oralist,
    I heard that you were quite the "oralist"...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Sad but true, for most people (non-politicians) as well, I'm sure. God knows I'm no mean oralist, but I do love the English language. It helps me to communicate, don'tchaknow?
    You betcha!

-stray-

Super Moderator

UK
    Dj - guess what we had last night on our news...

OBAMA: DAY 8!

Ugh ... I can see this running and running ... cah'-maaahhhhn...

Bloody news channels.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    They might run with it the full 10 because

A. he is the first black president, leader of the largest super power in the free world, in a country known to have issues with racism.

B. The bush administration fucked things up so badly, they're probably trying to see what he does to fix most of the shoddy work Bush did in his 8 years.

C. He made a lot of promises during the campaign trail and they want to see if he keeps those promises.

However, I am going with A. It is a pretty big historical thing for the US, so they will probably play it up to death in the media.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    The media is always a double edged sword.

yeah it seems like they are following everything
    he does like they worship him but really it comes down
    to a few things:

the first 100 days of a new president is usually followed
    if you remember when Clinton came into office it was the case.

they are looking to see what Obama will do about all the
    things Bush set in motion and how many of them he will reverse.

they are keeping track so that they can say "its been 3 years
    and Obama hasnt kept the promise he made on his 5th day in office"

they always build people up so they can knock them down.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Aww, stray! You fell for my trap! Thanks!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    They might run with it the full 10 because

A. he is the first black president, leader of the largest super power in the free world, in a country known to have issues with racism.

B. The bush administration fucked things up so badly, they're probably trying to see what he does to fix most of the shoddy work Bush did in his 8 years.

C. He made a lot of promises during the campaign trail and they want to see if he keeps those promises.

However, I am going with A. It is a pretty big historical thing for the US, so they will probably play it up to death in the media.
    Sounds like all three, but mainly A and B. I mean, hell, Obama is all but diametrically opposed to Bush so people are looking to see just how much...change (yeah, I said it)...there will actually be.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'm gonna wax poetic here for a bit so excuse me, i'm in that sort of mood. it's cold as a frost giants nuts outside and there's ten inches of snow on the ground.

anyhoo, i think that winston churchill was the last truly great orator in the classical style. his speeches, even almost 70 years later, literally can send shivers down the spine.

the ancient style of rhetoric is pretty much dead. everything now is focus groups, mass appeal and the media of various types dissecting your every word. the days where a dude wrote his own speeches are done as well.

if you want to read the speeches of someone skilled in elegance of thought and expression, read marcus cicero, the roman senator, consul and defense attorney. his rhetoric is awe inspiring even in english translation and read in latin is an almost spiritual experience. his political speeches are widely considered the best ever. he saved the republic in 63 bc by uncovering a plot by another senator, lucius catalina and in an incredible series of speeches, both to the senate and the roman assembly, denounced him and drove him from the city.

his moral courage to attack mark antony in a series of speeches as last attempt to save the republic is not only amazing but also moving when you consider that they cost him his life.
    Last edited by Mike70; 31-Jan-2009 at 02:49 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."