Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow! Tough justice! 15yrs for $100!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Again, that's a perfect example of the miscarriages of justice that go on in this country. And it's not even a racial thing, it's more economic than anything. If you have the money you're going to skate.
    Which is a racial thing because a majority of black people are kept on the lower rungs of the economic scale while the good ol' boys keep the wealth amongst themselves. Ironically, only the gangsta rappahs, the athletes and the gangstah athletes get the chance to skate, and the worst of them belong in prison.

England
    He wont do it again thats for sure!well,hopefully anyway..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    To quote Discharge...

"Does the system work?"
    It obviously doesn't. We constantly see cases where inexplicable things occur. The sentencing guildlines are all screwed up as well. Neil gave an example earlier in the thread. How messed up is that?

What kind of system do we have when a rapist gets 7 years and a person found with half a kilo gets 15 to life?

So.... ya...

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    So how did he manage to get 15 years? Maybe because he couldn't afford to pay the fine?
    because of the way the united states works is the real answer. the penalty that DC quoted was a federal law that covers crimes committed on federal property (like the post office for example) and doesn't supercede a state's right to set harsher or lesser penalties for the same offense.

for example, let's take another case: weed laws. federal weed laws are pretty harsh. simple possession can net you up to a year in jail and $1,000 fine. in ohio, where i live (and has some of the most lenient drug laws in the US), possession of less than 100g is a simple payout ticket of $100. no arrest, no court, no jail. it is like getting a speeding ticket, except you don't get points on your drivers license.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    It doesn't matter that "it was only $100". He robbed a bank. That's a big no-no. You either commit a robbery, or you do not commit a robbery. You don't "commit a little bit of robbery".

If he had robbed a convenience store instead, he'd have got off a lot lighter. He just chose the wrong target.

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    He robbed a bank. That's a big no-no.
    A pity the banks don't get the same treatment for robbing the American people for billions.

United Kingdom
    It doesn't matter that "it was only $100". He robbed a bank. That's a big no-no. You either commit a robbery, or you do not commit a robbery. You don't "commit a little bit of robbery".
    Strongly disagree. Have you ever been a victim of theft? How much is taken makes an enormous difference.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    It seems harsh but the laws here get real ugly
    when a gun is involved in the commison of a crime.

a robbery where u just stuff something in your pocket
    will get you one sentence but to have or imply u have a
    gun and steal the same item moves the penalty way up.

believe me I know.

But, in all reality he will never serve 15 years.
    thats what he was sentenced to.

I had a friend get 5 years on a gun charge
    and he was out in 3 months.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    If he had robbed a convenience store instead, he'd have got off a lot lighter. He just chose the wrong target.
    Perhaps he chose the right target, though; at convenience stores you get "heroes".

Norway
    Judges are like priests, its a tempting job for evil people who crave power over others. I think this judge and others like him does what he does for his own sadistic amusement.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Sounds like the Romanovs are back in business to me...

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    I think POSSIBLY most of us are looking at this wrong. It could be that the judge knew that the parole board would release the felon but gave him enough time so he could get three hots and a cot through the winter.

Just a thought,

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    This story made Sir Bernard Madoff shed tears from
    uncontrolled spasmodic laughter at
    his luxurious penthouse "confinement".

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    I think POSSIBLY most of us are looking at this wrong.
    I think it's MOST LIKELY that I'm looking at it the right way. It's a wasteful and idiotic sentence. Having this guy in jail for 15 years will cost taxpayers so much more than putting him in a shelter or detox clinic.

Better yet, just send him to church. Isn't the Church supposed to be all about charity and forgiveness? Kenneth Lay's family pastor sure argued damn hard on behalf of a criminal that should have never been allowed to see daylight again.

Oh wait a sec, his pastor is Methodist...
    Last edited by DubiousComforts; 10-Feb-2009 at 09:07 PM.

United States
    The article doesn't mention if the man has a history of being in trouble with the law.

If he does many states have mandatory sentences for a habitual offender.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_strikes_law

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse