Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wow! Tough justice! 15yrs for $100!

Administrator

England

Wow! Tough justice! 15yrs for $100!

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/265402

Seems somewhat harsh surely, given your average murderer/rapist would get this or less!

United Kingdom
    What kind of asshole could sentence a man in that situation to 15 years for a measly $100? Surely he will appeal?!
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    What kind of asshole could sentence a man in that situation to 15 years for a measly $100? Surely he will appeal?!
    OK, he prented to be armed (but wasn't). But only took $100, not the whole lot, AND turned himself in... Huh!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Man...that's a bit harsh considering how many other, more severe crimes are happening elsewhere.

"I got thrown out of a window! What's the charge for getting pushed out of a moving car? Jaywalking?"

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    On the surface it does seem very fascist, but...

Considering he was stealing money to have somewhere to live and get clean from drugs, it's possible that he and the judge came to an agreement on this. I mean, possibly going to jail would be better for him than living on the streets. In a way, he now has a home for the next 15 years.

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I mean, possibly going to jail would be better for him than living on the streets. In a way, he now has a home for the next 15 years.
    I was wondering about that... I have heard of homeless people committing petty crimes in order to have somewhere to stay and some food... but 15 years is one hell of a detox program.
    La freak, c'est chic!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Seems somewhat harsh surely, given your average murderer/rapist would get this or less!
    A old, homeless black man in the Deep South gets the book thrown at him by a good ol' boy judge and district attorney. Who could have guessed?

Here's the maximum penalty for bank robbery as set by U.S. federal law:

Subsection (b) outlines the penalties for anyone who takes and carries away, with the intent to steal or purloin, any property or money or any thing of value in the care, custody, control, management, or possession of any bank, credit union, or savings and loan. The maximum penalty for violation of this subsection is a fine and ten years imprisonment if the value of the property exceeds $100. The maximum penalty is a fine and one year imprisonment if the property's value is $100 or less.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Man...that's a bit harsh considering how many other, more severe crimes are happening elsewhere.

"I got thrown out of a window! What's the charge for getting pushed out of a moving car? Jaywalking?"

LMAO - Nice Beverly Hills Cop Quote.

The sentencing guidelines for a federal crime for Bank Robbery is less than one year when the value of the property is less than $100. His court appointed lawyer will get him off on appeal.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 28-Jan-2009 at 02:06 PM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Administrator

England

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    The maximum penalty for violation of this subsection is a fine and ten years imprisonment if the value of the property exceeds $100.
    So how did he manage to get 15 years? Maybe because he couldn't afford to pay the fine?

Theft/ destruction of property/ money is kind of what the law seeks to protect the most... hence fraudsters getting banged up for 20 years and rapists getting a couple of months, or, not that long ago, a fine!
    La freak, c'est chic!

Undisclosed
    "Christian Milton of Wynnewood, Pa., declined to comment during a hearing in U.S. District Court in Hartford. Judge Christopher Droney also fined Milton $200,000 and ordered him to report to the federal Bureau of Prisons on March 25."

Blomberg: "The judge could have given Milton a life sentence after ruling that the fraud cost AIG shareholders as much as $597 million."

Why is this convicted criminal walking around free for two months? Do they have to find him a prison bed or something?

And it just gets better and better...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Again, that's a perfect example of the miscarriages of justice that go on in this country. And it's not even a racial thing, it's more economic than anything. If you have the money you're going to skate.

And that's a beautiful illustration about the idiotic sentencing guidlines that are governed by mandatory minimums. Even if they wanted to let him go they couldn't. They'd HAVE to give him that time. Plus there are so many mitigating circumstances such as that he was homeless, hungry and remorseful. I guess the constitution can't provide for common sense.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    Yes he pretended to have a gun... But this to me is a clear example of...

Common Sense <-- ---------------------------------------------------------> The Law

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yes he pretended to have a gun... But this to me is a clear example of...

Common Sense <-----------------------------------------------------------> The Law

Well, as a law student i know that, in New York at least, that even if you give to person you're robbing the impression that you have a gun you will be charged as if you had one.

There are a bunch of other dumb rules such as a year for evey bullet in the gun and so forth.

Ya... I know.

But as was already said, COMMON SENSE PEOPLE. Once the truth is known and mitigating factors are considered they should proceed off of that.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    To quote Discharge...

"Does the system work?"