Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phenia Films "Flowers for the DEAD" zombie short Romero Tribute

Undisclosed

Phenia Films "Flowers for the DEAD" zombie short Romero Tribute

Hey Fellow Ghouls,
    I recently wrapped up Principal Photography on my Zombie Film "Flowers for the DEAD".

This Super 8 B&W film is currently in post producton...
    and is in tribute to the 'Dead' films of Mr George A Romero and the great Livng Dead' films he as brought to us.

The film shot in New Jersey and also shot in the famous Cemetery where all this started The Evans City Cemetery, Where the original NOTLD as filmed almost 40 years to the date.
    The film when completed will be submitted to various short film compititons, horror/zombie websites and may have a chance to have the film screened at 'the Living Dead Fest' in Evans City PA next Halloween..a now annual event which as put together by non-other than Mr Gary Streiner (brother of Russ 'Johnny' Streiner)which will have its outdoor big screen showing of 'Night of the Living Dead' with special guests and events...see what happens.

In the meantime..the trailer for 'Flowers' will be up on Youtube soon.
    And we also have a Behind the scenes look of the film, shot on the last two days of shooting here in New Jersey.
    The 'making of Flowers for the DEAD' was put together by one of my featured Ghouls and Special effects/make up man Richard Moschella.
    The (10min 2 part) segment can be seen on Youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwc6u...e=channel_page

Also the kind people over at 'Popstarsplus' website, has created a nice webpage for the film and is just underway..complete with Photos and Inteviews/write ups of my short film...and shold be updated soon
    heres the link

http://www.popstarsplus.com/movies_f...forthedead.htm (UPDATED)

heres another interview we had on the production from 'Quiet Earth' aka
    'Undead Backbrain'

http://roberthood.net/blog/index.php...-an-interview/

for more photos,note of the production check my profile/photos
    more soon..including a trailer

thanks
    Joe Barbarisi Director Flowers for the DEAD
    Last edited by Phenia Films; 05-Feb-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Administrator

England
    *rubs hands togethor*

Thanks! Look forward to watching this

United States
    I like the make up; it's not over-the-top. The movie seems to have a 1970's vibe about it, too, which interests me.
    Always like seeing the "making of" sections - these guys had fun making their movie and hope it pays off for them.

Super Moderator

United States
    Jersey? Well, that's damn near local! Very good. I'll be sure to give it a look.

Thanks for the heads up!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I dont mean to disparage his film or anything, but these kinds of posts always seem kind of "spammish" to me. Come here, register, make one post, then leave, never to be heard from again. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that, but seems like it wouldnt take much effort to putting at least a little time into becoming part of the HPOTD community before pimping your movie.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I dont mean to disparage his film or anything, but these kinds of posts always seem kind of "spammish" to me. Come here, register, make one post, then leave, never to be heard from again. Maybe there is nothing wrong with that, but seems like it wouldnt take much effort to putting at least a little time into becoming part of the HPOTD community before pimping your movie.
    While I know exactly what you mean, Philly, the cool thing is the guy did drop his thread in the right forum and wasn't a drop-in who spammed multiple forums or placed it in the wrong one. Plus, he could be a member from before the forum changeover.

All that said, I do agree that it'd be nice to have people who come here to pump their products invest more time, but at least it speaks of the site's relevance to the genre that they feel it necessary to stop by and lay the knowledge on us.

But, I know what you mean.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Hey guys..
    worked pretty hard on this movie..over 2 years on free weekends.
    and this is a 'Zombie' movie site correct? didnt even know about this site till recently..whats wrong with spurring some interest out there to zombie film fans..for my zombie film. so i guess iam 'pimping' my film...i owe it to the people involved..not out to make a buck, just wanted to make my own 'dead' film. see how people react.
    Maybe get some interest out there, so i can make another film in the future.

not for nothing, ive only had interest in horror films sites, and of course Zombie sites...so if i find a good one..ill stick to it.
    The HPOT is right up my alley.

And with a chance to have my film screened in Evans City is enough for me.
    why wouldnt i try to get some interest out there...

and its been a long time since ive seen a film shot other than Digital nowadays.
    Im old school and always will be..maybe my film will encourage others to go out and make there own 'film' and you will find it to be alot of fun, and feel youve accomplished something..digital is easy, but you will never get the look of film..and once you see the look of 'film' you may not want to go to digital.
    And youll learn more about light meters, recording/dubbing audio,film processing,conversions,etc..
    i can go on forever..no more said
    Last edited by Phenia Films; 30-Jan-2009 at 04:54 PM.

capncnut
    Thanks for letting us know, Joe. I can't wait to get my teeth into this.

Undisclosed
    thanks all..
    looking foward in spending some time on the HPOT

Hope i can put up a trailer soon too

JB

United States
    No offence meant to you Phenia by my post, just talking about a general feeling I have when I see those types of posts. Like I said, maybe nothing wrong with it. I hope your film is good and that I get to see it someday.

Undisclosed
    none taken Philly..no sweat

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

sweet

Someone else who has the balls to shoot a film on film! It's stressful for sure not knowing for a week or 2 if there is anything at all on the film that you spent so much money on, but it sure is a great feeling watching it in all of its true film glory. Can't wait to see it!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahsleety View Post
    Someone else who has the balls to shoot a film on film! It's stressful for sure not knowing for a week or 2 if there is anything at all on the film that you spent so much money on, but it sure is a great feeling watching it in all of its true film glory. Can't wait to see it!
    Wahs,
    i know what your talking about..but i was pretty much thinking ahead of time before any shooting.
    you really have to pick certain days..where there is good sun light for the exterior stuff..shot completely outside (other than a dream sequence).

But id say anything lost after processing wasnt much....maybe 50ft if that.
    But you really have to keep a heads up with light meters. You can just shoot a scene after checking your meter once. you have to check before any shot, dont take it for granted...focus too, its a pain in the ass, but well worth it after seeing the processed films...it like "YESSSS" done!

last thing i noticed with that..dont fuck around with the Super films before you use them..you have to keep in in a refrigerator before and after filming sealed in plastic or water proof containers (no moisture or your scewed)
    Should get them processed sooner the better (PAC LAB NYC!) and even send them out in a styrofoam box sealed in plastic zip locks w/coolpaxs.(no shit)

capncnut
    Expect a review when it's up. Enjoyed the making of very much, Joe.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed

yeah man

Quote Originally Posted by Phenia Films View Post
    Wahs,
    i know what your talking about..but i was pretty much thinking ahead of time before any shooting.
    you really have to pick certain days..where there is good sun light for the exterior stuff..shot completely outside (other than a dream sequence).

But id say anything lost after processing wasnt much....maybe 50ft if that.
    But you really have to keep a heads up with light meters. You can just shoot a scene after checking your meter once. you have to check before any shot, dont take it for granted...focus too, its a pain in the ass, but well worth it after seeing the processed films...it like "YESSSS" done!

last thing i noticed with that..dont fuck around with the Super films before you use them..you have to keep in in a refrigerator before and after filming sealed in plastic or water proof containers (no moisture or your scewed)
    Should get them processed sooner the better (PAC LAB NYC!) and even send them out in a styrofoam box sealed in plastic zip locks w/coolpaxs.(no shit)

yes pac lab is where i also used to process my film, until i found a cheaper faster place out west somewhere, forget exactly where, been a couple years. I shot with mostly kodachrome 40 until it was discontinued, havent shot film since, moved on to digital after I learned the discipline of film, hopefully one day I will go back to film, but for now it's just me and my hvx200!
    here is a link to the teaser trailer from my film if ya want to check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sng1etdeHdg