Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you recon that within 100yr the human race will be ****ed?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I dont buy the whole "global warming" thing,especially as this winter has been the coldest in the UK for a good few years!
    That's the point. Global warming is to blame for that.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    That's the point. Global warming is to blame for that.
    Maybe so,but i dont feel concerned or guilty about it!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by axlish View Post
    I don't buy into the theories that have the Earth rapidly declining into descent at an immediate and exponential rate, but I do think that the changes will be significant enough in the next hundred years to force everyone to adjust their lives a bit. Here's hoping that technology and awareness meets the appropriate levels in time to either do something about it, or prepare us for survival after the results.
    well said, eric. i hope that humans do realize what a perilous thing our existence can be and take steps in the future to assure our survival. i may seem a bit pessimistic at times but for all the pain people have brought to the world, i keep in mind the beauty and majesty that we are capable of at times.

if we don't spread out to other planets and eventually to other star systems, one day there will be nothing left to even show that we existed. the sun is going to get hotter and brighter as it ages, this is an undisputable fact and in a several million years or so, the earth won't be the same place we know now and won't be a place that is very hospitable to humans.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United Kingdom
    The way I see it, we humans are just as natural as the planet we live on and the animals and plants we live alongside. Therefore anything we create or do is just as natural, I mean you don't see an animal in the wild using a rock as a tool and say 'that's unnatural'. After all we're just really clever and inventive animals.

Now I'm not saying I think we shouldn't care what happens to our planet, I think we should try and preserve it as much as we can to ensure our survival. I'm just saying I don't agree how people can act as if we have any less right than the plants and animals to be here, doing what comes natural to us (bad or good).
    Same with war, a topic I'm very interested in. War has been around for as long as the human race has it seems, so in my opinion that sort of proves it's a natural thing for humans to engage in, not a nice thing but natural nonetheless. If we do somehow become completely peaceful, utopian race, then that'd be a natural change too.
    Last edited by Craig; 01-Feb-2009 at 03:24 PM.

Kazakhstan
    Maybe, maybe not. I think what will wipe us out is either

1 - plague
    2 - nanotechnology
    3 - a huge climate change (unlikely)

A pandemic would just screw us over, it takes about 2 days for everyone in london to get the same cold. On a long enough timeline nanotechnology will get good, and weaponised nanos seem inevitable - grey goo scenario, or nanites programmed to engage in ethnic cleansing, whatever the result, it'll be bad.

Climate change could kill us but my gut says it won't. The weather is pretty mental, but there's always been fluctuations.

I don't think we will buy it in all out nuclear war, as I believe someone somewhere will always survive something like that.

The main problem we have as a race is that we are bound to this planet, so we have to weather whatever happens here. If we colonised other planets, or had large & sustainable populations on space stations, our chances of survival as a race would be much higher.

But how far away is that? Is WW3 just around the corner? If it happened, it would put such endeavours behind by several decades, if not destroying the infrastructure of global civilisation & communication itself.

So yeah, it just depends if we get off the planet & set up communities in space that can survive without us
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

England
    Have you read Michael Crichtons "prey" Liam?thats an interesting book about weaponised nano's

United States
    Every generation thinks they're the last. A hundred years from now the hype will have gone from global warming, to global cooling, and we'll probably be back to global warming again, the charge led by a whole new class of sensationalist reporters and scientists, further promoted by whichever party needs power at the time.

Things move in cycles, including the weather.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The way I see it, we humans are just as natural as the planet we live on and the animals and plants we live alongside. Therefore anything we create or do is just as natural, I mean you don't see an animal in the wild using a rock as a tool and say 'that's unnatural'. After all we're just really clever and inventive animals.
    But no other species is burning billions of tonnes of fossil fuels every year...

The things is, at the bottom of the oceans is enough frozen methane to completely change our climate to something we (& most animals/plants) would have trouble surviving in.

The frozen methand slowly increases and increases and then when the seas happen to warm up just enough it starts to escape and a snow ball effect begins. Methane is a far far more effective greenhouse gas than co2, so once this snowball begins to form it gets big quick.

The climate continues to warm, and so the cycle begin. Another interesting thing about escaping methane, is that it also sometimes ignites. Imagine areas of the sea boiling with methane coming to the surface and on fire!

Once it starts there's basically no stopping it. And it will happen again... The concern is we're going to tip the scales enough to make it happen again far sooner rather then later...

Quote Originally Posted by Arcades057 View Post
    Every generation thinks they're the last. A hundred years from now the hype will have gone from global warming, to global cooling, and we'll probably be back to global warming again, the charge led by a whole new class of sensationalist reporters and scientists, further promoted by whichever party needs power at the time.

Things move in cycles, including the weather.
    Let's hope so... Rather a lot of rather well qualified people disagree though...
    Last edited by Neil; 01-Feb-2009 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I believe that global warming is neither man-made nor preventable [at this point]. And we've survived dozens of periods of global warmings and dozens of periods of global coolings. We've survived ice ages, for chrissake. I think we'll be alright.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneCrusader View Post
    I believe that global warming is neither man-made nor preventable [at this point]. And we've survived dozens of periods of global warmings and dozens of periods of global coolings. We've survived ice ages, for chrissake. I think we'll be alright.
    We've survivied nothing.... Our ancestors, who were experts at survival, survived some minor hurdles. Most of us however, well, most of us would starve without a microwave.

Put us through an ice age now, and can how many billions would starve? And what would happen to how huge monstrous technology deck of cards?

Now, back to the methane ice sheets thawing due to global warming... The last time that happened, most of life on earth (plant/animal) died... That means human civilisation would be gone. Yes, some humans might survive, somehow, but I suspect it would be a decreasing number as resources failed them.

Couple of quotes:-
    Washington (US) October 31, 2008 - Levels of climate-warming methane -- a greenhouse gas 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide -- rose abruptly in Earth's atmosphere last year, and scientists who reported the change don't know why it occurred.

Dr Semiletov has suggested several possible reasons why methane is now being released from the Arctic, including the rising volume of relatively warmer water being discharged from Siberia's rivers due to the melting of the permafrost on the land.

The Arctic region as a whole has seen a 4C rise in average temperatures over recent decades and a dramatic decline in the area of the Arctic Ocean covered by summer sea ice. Many scientists fear that the loss of sea ice could accelerate the warming trend because open ocean soaks up more heat from the sun than the reflective surface of an ice-covered sea.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    We've survivied nothing.... Our ancestors, who were experts at survival, survived some minor hurdles. Most of us however, well, most of us would starve without a microwave.

Put us through an ice age now, and can how many billions would starve? And what would happen to how huge monstrous technology deck of cards?

Now, back to the methane ice sheets thawing due to global warming... The last time that happened, most of life on earth (plant/animal) died...

Couple of quotes:-
    Washington (US) October 31, 2008 - Levels of climate-warming methane -- a greenhouse gas 25 times as potent as carbon dioxide -- rose abruptly in Earth's atmosphere last year, and scientists who reported the change don't know why it occurred.

Dr Semiletov has suggested several possible reasons why methane is now being released from the Arctic, including the rising volume of relatively warmer water being discharged from Siberia's rivers due to the melting of the permafrost on the land.

The Arctic region as a whole has seen a 4C rise in average temperatures over recent decades and a dramatic decline in the area of the Arctic Ocean covered by summer sea ice. Many scientists fear that the loss of sea ice could accelerate the warming trend because open ocean soaks up more heat from the sun than the reflective surface of an ice-covered sea.

yeah, but now we have bunkers and cellars and stuff.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneCrusader View Post
    yeah, but now we have bunkers and cellars and stuff.
    You're joking right?

In a world where the methane sheets have melted, the majority of the world is a desert. Most animal and plant life (land and sea) is dead...

But I'm sure the human race can happily survive in their cellars playing on their XBox360s

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    You're joking right?

In a world where the methane sheets have melted, the majority of the world is a desert. Most animal and plant life (land and sea) is dead...

But I'm sure the human race can happily survive in their cellars playing on their XBox360s

LOL

my bad, wasn't paying much attention. i was just thinking of a "Day After Tomorrow" scenario.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Neil the human race is already fucked, its just that no wants to admit it.

ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    http://www.seed.slb.com/en/scictr/wa...nge/change.htm

The bottom graph is the best illustration of the point that man-made global warming is a) a hoax, or b) overstated. I don't believe that it's a hoax overall; I do believe that there are some hucksters out there just trying to make a buck, and they are leading all the feel-good, do-as-I-say-not-as-I-do crowd by the nose.

When you see a guy like Algore preaching on global warming and such, then he's jetting around on a private jet... or the Hollywood celebs showing up in DC on their own private planes after waxing philosophic about the environment, these things make me think that they know it's not nearly as bad as they would like you to believe; they are just doing it to make themselves feel better at our expense.

And the government is happy enough to tack on more taxes to things like gasoline due to global warming. Everyone prospers--except us.
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.