Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NOLD 90 Movie Mistake

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Well, isn't it?

Yeah...I completely agree. I love the film, but it's as dated and cheesy as they come. I totally understand why newcomers would be turned off by it. It's honestly not that good looking anymore. And probably anyone that argues otherwise is only doing so because their love for the film is blinding them from the truth...

Out of Romero's films the only one that really feels timeless is Day, imo.
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Jun-2009 at 03:53 PM.

United States
    I'm going to go against the common consensus here. I like Night '68. I hate Night '90.

The original was a horror movie. The remake was an action flick. The atmosphere, pacing, intensity, acting, plot - I like the original in every aspect over the remake.

In my opinion Barbra was exactly right in the original. She saw her brother assaulted and had to flee from the attacker. She was traumatized. That made sense. As opposed to Night 90 where Barbra becomes a commando. Bleck. You can keep her, cause I'm not buying it.

This thread is really just an extension of my problem with movies in general. These days people cannot sit through a movie with suspense and plot if there isn't the proper explosion/minute ratio. A movie without car chases/shootouts/fight scenes/whatever is doomed. Horror movies are now gauged by gore and special effects over storyline.

I think we need a color remake of 12 Angry Men with hard-bodied 90210 teens, a few car chases, some explosions, and oh btw - the whole court-case aspect was slow and monotonous so let's edit that out.

Yes, I'm old. You kids stay off my lawn!!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^^^^

You Rang?

Is that what you mean Bassman?

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Yeah...I completely agree. I love the film, but it's as dated and cheesy as they come. I totally understand why newcomers would be turned off by it. It's honestly not that good looking anymore. And probably anyone that argues otherwise is only doing so because their love for the film is blinding them from the truth...

Out of Romero's films the only one that really feels timeless is Day, imo.

I'm just Yanking your chain Trin.

We like the old Romero films just fine. But the bottom line is that they do come off as dated and cheesy especially to those of this generation. We were just commenting on the fact that audiences today wouldn't even sit through half off either one before most of them start thinking"dude are you serious!?! Where's the real movie"?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't want to make it seem as if I don't absolutely love the original, which I do, but are you saying that the original ISN'T guilty of most of those things?
    Oh it's certainly guilty of alot of things. But not as many things as the remake! Dull, poorly made, no ambition are three things I think off when I think of the remake! I actually watched it again a few weeks ago to see if I'd changed my mind. Nope. It's just plain old boring. And the music is so incredibly bad...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Dull, poorly made, no ambition are three things I think off when I think of the remake!
    Well, if that's your opinion, fine.

One thing we can agree on though is that the original is none of those things.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    I'm not disagreeing with Bassman. Night '68 does look dated. Okay, I disagree with cheesy. But I can see the argument. In my mind it's no more cheesy than Exorcist or Amityville Horror or Psycho. And they're all considered classics. Or Ghostbusters (oh, yeah, I went there ).

Looking dated, however, is not enough to make me embrace a half-witted remake. Color crap is still crap.

I'm not sitting anyone down in front of commando Barbra to try to indoctrinate them to zombie movies just because it might appeal to their short attention span. If they get halfway through Night '68 and have no desire to see the rest then screw em. They'll never really be GAR fans anyway.

Or maybe my love of the film is blinding me.
    Last edited by Trin; 09-Jun-2009 at 09:04 PM.

United States
    Well, isn't it?

Let me clarify before I get flamed.

I think people who don't love these films are immediatley turned off by the dated effects. Forget the fact that at the time the were state of the art and on a shoestring, independent budget no less.

Before I show Dawn to someone I mmediatley put out a disclaimer saying "in order to enjoy this film I need you to look past the special effects." Once that's out there the film immediately becomes more palatable to a general viewing audience.

That just goes to show you how unimaginative and, frankly, gullable, people are. Just because the special effects in a 2009 movie such as Star Trek or Terminator: Salvation does that make them anymore "real"? The bottom line is that you're suspending your disbelief in order to enjoy this fictional world.

So the zombies in the original dawn are obviously not as polished as in the remake but for some fucked up reason people let that get in the way of what could be an eye opening, life changing viewing experience.

I don't even think people are interested in films as an art form anymore. Nowdays it's more like a two hour time killer till' it's time to check their my space pages again.

Don't know, brother - and maybe I am a dinosaur but I am one of those who actually prefer my monsters to be stop motion, my spaceships to be models photographed against a hand painted backdrop on forced persepctive glass inserts than all the digital/CGI self-abuse that proliferates the genre now.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with Bassman. Night '68 does look dated. Okay, I disagree with cheesy. But I can see the argument.

I was actually talking about the original Dawn being dated and cheesy in most people's eyes. Night is almost timeless, imo. Kinda like the grainy black and white was put in on purpose for dramatic effect. That's how I see it, anyway.

So yeah....I was calling Dawn dated and cheesy. And I love it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Don't know, brother - and maybe I am a dinosaur but I am one of those who actually prefer my monsters to be stop motion, my spaceships to be models photographed against a hand painted backdrop on forced persepctive glass inserts than all the digital/CGI self-abuse that proliferates the genre now.
    I grew up watching the old, old, old Dr. Who movies. Back when special effects meant putting a guy in a cardboard box painted silver and pretending he's a robot. They pretty much had to make a wonderful storyline cause they had nothing for effects. So to me all the Dead movies had great effects.

In fact, I'd say the earlier ones had better effects. Why? No, they didn't look better. I'm not arguing that. But they made sense. For example, does it really work for Samuel to impale a zombie by sticking a blade through his own head? That's not a "great zombie kill." It's freakin ridiculous. You never saw anything that was just stupid like that in the originals.

I wouldn't say I prefer older style effects. But I will say I won't trade storyline for effects. And that's what movies do these days. They focus on making something really cool to look at and forget that it has to mesh with the story. They're shooting fireworks up onto the screen and laughing as the zombies in the seats sit motionless and watch.

I was actually talking about the original Dawn being dated and cheesy in most people's eyes. Night is almost timeless, imo. Kinda like the grainy black and white was put in on purpose for dramatic effect. That's how I see it, anyway.

So yeah....I was calling Dawn dated and cheesy. And I love it.
    In that case I totally agree.

Administrator

England
    And that's what movies do these days. They focus on making something really cool to look at and forget that it has to mesh with the story.
    Did someone say Michael Bay? Did someone say Roland Emmerich?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Ah, yes, Godzilla and Transformers. I almost mentioned both of these as examples of movies that forgot to have a storyline.

I mean, honestly, the Transformers cartoon had more plot than the movie. It's almost as if they figured they could dismiss storyline since anyone could just go watch the cartoon if they cared about what was going on. It was totally optional for the experience they were serving up. Maybe for Transformers 2 they could serve plot at the concession stand just in case you want a little meal with your dessert.

They took a cartoon and made a movie and ended up with less plot. Outstanding!!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ah, yes, Godzilla and Transformers. I almost mentioned both of these as examples of movies that forgot to have a storyline.

I mean, honestly, the Transformers cartoon had more plot than the movie. It's almost as if they figured they could dismiss storyline since anyone could just go watch the cartoon if they cared about what was going on. It was totally optional for the experience they were serving up. Maybe for Transformers 2 they could serve plot at the concession stand just in case you want a little meal with your dessert.

They took a cartoon and made a movie and ended up with less plot. Outstanding!!

You know I never put much thought into it but you're right. The tranformers cartoon is actually very deep and has an interesting canon attached to it.

But, let's not forget that it was still the 80's and audiences attention spans were not as short back then. And when you consider that their audience was mainly children that's as big an indictment about how unsophisticated Americans have become.

Yes the attention span of children in the 80's is greater than that of today's adults.

WHAT.
    THE.
    FUCK.

United States
    I'm sorry darth, I tried to read your post but only made a few sentences in then lost interest. Maybe if you put a few more emoticons in there or some sound files or a hot chick jpeg or something. Then maybe I could read the whole post. But I'm trying to be more in tune with today's youth and thus my current attention span really only lasts a.... what was I saying? Whatever.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Before I say this....let me just say that I agree with you guys on the short attention span thing.

But there is also a place for some more straight-forward action films. I love to think during movies, but I sometimes also enjoy an action flick where I can slow down the ol' noggin and enjoy the visuals. And these kinds of flicks aren't anything new if you think about it....

United States
    Before I say this....let me just say that I agree with you guys on the short attention span thing.

But there is also a place for some more straight-forward action films. I love to think during movies, but I sometimes also enjoy an action flick where I can slow down the ol' noggin and enjoy the visuals. And these kinds of flicks aren't anything new if you think about it....
    That's a good point. Godzilla probably falls into this category. Does it need to be more than a movie with a big lizard stomping through a city? Maybe not.