Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NOLD 90 Movie Mistake

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Before I say this....let me just say that I agree with you guys on the short attention span thing.

But there is also a place for some more straight-forward action films. I love to think during movies, but I sometimes also enjoy an action flick where I can slow down the ol' noggin and enjoy the visuals. And these kinds of flicks aren't anything new if you think about it....

There's a place for everything and everything in it's place.

But nowdays it seems like EVERY movie is the sort where people say, "Well if you just turn your brain off you'll enjoy it." Fuck That. I need more from my movies.

Great, Legendary directors Like Kubrick and Ridley Scott wouldn't last 5 minutes as directors today using the same style that made them legends. That's the sad part.

I guess GAr falls into that catagory as well.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

Great, Legendary directors Like Kubrick and Ridley Scott wouldn't last 5 minutes as directors today using the same style that made them legends. That's the sad part.

Well obviously Kubrick is dead, but Ridley Scott is still making good films and lasting just fine. There are plenty "thinking" directors out there, if you ask me. But unfortunately you're right....they do seem to make fewer films while McG, Ratner, Boll and the like are churning them out every month or so...
    Last edited by bassman; 11-Jun-2009 at 04:11 PM.

United States
    Technology has been an enabler of the plot-less wonderland. It's easy to make high-budget special effects blockbusters now. Moreso than ever. And with the returns on investment it's alluring too. Who wants to take a chance on a plot driven character movie that *might* resonate with viewers when a special-effects blockbuster will make a fortune even if it gets bad reviews?

I see both sides. Yes, action-oriented flicks have their place. No, that place is not dominating a large (and ever growing) percent of the market.

GAR is his own unique kind of problem. I believe that many moviegoers were hungry for a change back to plot and character driven storylines when Land came out and they looked to GAR and Land to show the movie industry what a master can do. I fully believe that GAR is capable of blending the storytelling of old with some touches of new technology to come up with something truly staggering. I think he just missed the mark with Land... errr... and Diary.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Technology has been an enabler of the plot-less wonderland. It's easy to make high-budget special effects blockbusters now. Moreso than ever. And with the returns on investment it's alluring too. Who wants to take a chance on a plot driven character movie that *might* resonate with viewers when a special-effects blockbuster will make a fortune even if it gets bad reviews?

I see both sides. Yes, action-oriented flicks have their place. No, that place is not dominating a large (and ever growing) percent of the market.

GAR is his own unique kind of problem. I believe that many moviegoers were hungry for a change back to plot and character driven storylines when Land came out and they looked to GAR and Land to show the movie industry what a master can do. I fully believe that GAR is capable of blending the storytelling of old with some touches of new technology to come up with something truly staggering. I think he just missed the mark with Land... errr... and Diary.

Well, it's been my experience in life that people will work only as hard as they have to. The saying "nescesity is the mother of invention" is probably the truest statement ever uttered.

So when a movie practically makes itself movie makers don't feel the need to think much and it shows in their product.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Ireland

Very true. Can you imagine 'Alien' being made today? Not a chance.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Very true. Can you imagine 'Alien' being made today? Not a chance.

That was my point earlier that I think Bassman took a little differently. I'm sure Scott is involved with plenty of projects but can ya name any? Me neither.

United States
    Well, it's been my experience in life that people will work only as hard as they have to.
    I think this is true for anyone looking to earn a paycheck. For someone looking to express themselves and take pride in their work I think people will work pretty darned hard. Those people may not have the same opportunities today as they did 40 years ago. And there may not be as many of those people around either since breaking into movie making is so hard now.

Movie making is an industry now, scaled for profit. You can't just make a movie and take a risk and hope people will like it. You have to make movies that have guaranteed return on investment. If you find a formula that works you crank them out in droves.

The harsh reality is that 10 movies of satisfactory enjoyment will net more money than 1 really outstanding movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I think this is true for anyone looking to earn a paycheck. For someone looking to express themselves and take pride in their work I think people will work pretty darned hard. Those people may not have the same opportunities today as they did 40 years ago. And there may not be as many of those people around either since breaking into movie making is so hard now.

Movie making is an industry now, scaled for profit. You can't just make a movie and take a risk and hope people will like it. You have to make movies that have guaranteed return on investment. If you find a formula that works you crank them out in droves.

The harsh reality is that 10 movies of satisfactory enjoyment will net more money than 1 really outstanding movie.

Well said friend. There's nothing much I can add to that.

Sadly though. It's too true.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Too true. But at least now with DVD being such a big market, sometimes the great films that didn't do too well in theater get good word of mouth and sale well on DVD....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Too true. But at least now with DVD being such a big market, sometimes the great films that didn't do too well in theater get good word of mouth and sale well on DVD....

So I guess there are pros and cons to everything. But it seems as if most straight to dvd offerings are far from classic. And the fact that they are low budget "labors of love" is not reflected in terms of the quality of these releases.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm back tracking a bit here, but you asked if anyone could name any good *new* Ridley Scott films. American Gangster was Great, imo.

Black Hawk Down and Gladiator weren't too shabby, either...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm back tracking a bit here, but you asked if anyone could name any good *new* Ridley Scott films. American Gangster was Great, imo.

Black Hawk Down and Gladiator weren't too shabby, either...

I didn't know about Black Hawk down but the other 2 are a couple of my favs.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I hated American Gangster, but loved Gladiator. But Ridley Scott IS kinda of a hit-and-miss guy. Sometimes he just makes bland, boring films. Sometimes he makes masterpieces.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I hated American Gangster, but loved Gladiator. But Ridley Scott IS kinda of a hit-and-miss guy. Sometimes he just makes bland, boring films. Sometimes he makes masterpieces.

I think the same can be said for every film maker. What is GAr's hit/miss ratio again?

Exactly.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I think the same can be said for every film maker. What is GAr's hit/miss ratio again?

Exactly.
    From what I've seen, much better than Ridley Scotts. I've seen 7 of GARs films, and I liked them all.