Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: NOLD 90 Movie Mistake

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    From what I've seen, much better than Ridley Scotts. I've seen 7 of GARs films, and I liked them all.
    And you don't think your love of his filmaking style has made you just a wee bit partisan?

In any case GAr's ghouls have had a way bigger impact on pop culture than anything scott's produced, imo.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And you don't think your love of his filmaking style has made you just a wee bit partisan?
    No, I just think I steered clear of all the crappy ones... There are a few out there which I haven't seen, and the only one I want to see is Martin!

In any case GAr's ghouls have had a way bigger impact on pop culture than anything scott's produced, imo.
    That can be debated, but yes it can be argued that it is so. Then again, most sci-fi films off today trace their roots to Ridley Scotts vision of the future (Alien, Ridley Scott), where the future was suddenly no longer "clean" but rather dirty and ugly.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 07-Jul-2009 at 06:12 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    No, I just think I steered clear of all the crappy ones... There are a few out there which I haven't seen, and the only one I want to see is Martin!

That can be debated, but yes it can be argued that it is so. Then again, most sci-fi films off today trace their roots to Ridley Scotts vision of the future (Alien, Ridley Scott), where the future was suddenly no longer "clean" but rather dirty and ugly.

Well, star wars didn't seem to clean to me either so the origins of the "dirtieness" of the future can be debated as well.

But having a vision of the way something already established should be and creating a completely new genre are two different things.

GAr pwns scott. Write down, pass it on, love it, live it.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    But having a vision of the way something already established should be and creating a completely new genre are two different things.
    I guess it can be argued that it was Richard Matheson who created the genre, and not GAR. But then again, Ridley Scott didn't write the script/books to his films. Anyway, I think you're giving GAR a bit too much credit...

Because let's face it, if we're gonna go by the rule of who popularized things, then Michael Jackson, and not GAR, is what got the zombies into popular culture.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-Jul-2009 at 04:16 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Because let's face it, if we're gonna go by the rule of who popularized things, then Michael Jackson, and not GAR, is what the zombies into popular culture.

Finally, something we can agree on!!

I'll do you one better. The dude who made ROTLD had a Huge impact on how zombies are viewed as well. Everyone in the media you hear speak on the subject insist that zombies are hungry for BRAINS!!!!!!!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'll do you one better. The dude who made ROTLD had a Huge impact on how zombies are viewed as well. Everyone in the media you hear speak on the subject insist that zombies are hungry for BRAINS!!!!!!!
    Ugh....unfortunately you're right. Why is it that the hacks always get the credit? Usually if I mention "Dawn of the Dead" to someone, they think i'm talking about the remake.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah. But whenever I mention Return of the Living Dead, people always go Huh?. Then I just have to say "The one zombie film where the zombies actually say Brains." and then everyone gets it.

Also, I fail to see how Dan O'Bannon is a "hack" just because he made a film you didn't like, Bassman. Infact, O'Bannon is a very talented writer. Don't tell me you didn't like Alien...
    Last edited by EvilNed; 08-Jul-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Also, I fail to see how Dan O'Bannon is a "hack" just because he made a film you didn't like, Bassman. Infact, O'Bannon is a very talented writer. Don't tell me you didn't like Alien...
    I shouldn't have used the word hack. I was actually calling Snyder a hack, but it does look like I was calling O'bannon the same. He get's some points for Alien, but I think his cheese slid off his cracker for Return.

Here's a strange one....anyone ever had someone tell them that Night is a Universal Monster movie? I once had this lady try to convince me that Night was a universal movie released around the same time as Frankenstein, Dracula, etc.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I think I've heard that one. Can't pinpoint a specific moment tho, but it does ring a bell. But truth be told, not alot of people HAVE actually seen Night of the Living Dead. I'd imagine we are amongst the priviledged few here.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    But truth be told, not alot of people HAVE actually seen Night of the Living Dead. I'd imagine we are amongst the priviledged few here.
    I'll have to respectfully disagree there, ned. I think everyone has seen at least bits of Night. Whether they know it or not.

When I first became a fan of Romero's films, I saw Day first. Then when I went looking to see if this guy had done anything else I stumbled across Night and realized that I had seen that film hundreds of times growing up. I can't remember a Halloween night when it WASN'T on the air.

Being that it's Public Domain, I think it gets many more views than we think. Like I said, I find it on several different channels just about every halloween....
    Last edited by bassman; 08-Jul-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I'll have to respectfully disagree there, ned. I think everyone has seen at least bits of Night. Whether they know it or not.
    Yeah, but there's a difference between seeing bits and pieces and actually seeing the film. Not many people have actually done that.

Heck, I've seen pieces of both Grease and Pretty Woman, but I haven't seen the films. And probably never will..

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah, but there's a difference between seeing bits and pieces and actually seeing the film. Not many people have actually done that.

Heck, I've seen pieces of both Grease and Pretty Woman, but I haven't seen the films. And probably never will..

Agreed. That's like saying "well, I've read bits and pieces of the constitution". and thinking that makes you familiar with the document.

In this country we normally just call those people republicans.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I said AT LEAST bits and pieces. Clean ya glasses, ya bunch of yo-yo's!

I would think that most people have seen the entire film. That's how it's seemed to me, anyway...

United States
    The whole ROTLD thing and "Brainsssss" just slays me. I had to go through anger counseling over it. Those are not GAR zombies!!

I saw Night first of them all. Didn't see it when it first came out, but close. Then Dawn, then Day... In proper order.

I have no frame of reference for anyone who did not see them in order. I cannot even conceive of that. No offense to Night - I love that movie - but progressing from Dawn to Night would be like getting out of a tank and going for a spin in a bumper car.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I said AT LEAST bits and pieces. Clean ya glasses, ya bunch of yo-yo's!

Or in other words: Less than the entire film.

Which would not give such a person credibility to comment on it.

Love the harry Cooper reference by the way. He's actually the only one I've ever heard use that phrase. Until now that is.