Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you stay home or go to the designated shelter?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    I'm of the belief that staying mobile is the safest way to go!
    I am not sure what I believe is the safest way to go. There are pros and cons to both staying put and in moving around. If I had to chose, I think staying put has the slight edge. Having said that, you would still have to have a plan of escape in case where you were staying put was outrun, so I guess a plan of "staying put with a contingency of moving" would be my preference. The main thing that puts me in this way of thinking is that if you were constantly on the move, then by definition you would constantly be going into new areas that you had no recon on, no idea the lay of the land, no idea about the nature of the zombie populace in the area, not to mention the living populace in the area.

United States
    I would get nervous staying put for too long. I would feel reasonably safe at the mall, but other than that, I have yet to see anyplace in the movies that I would have felt too safe. Strangely, driving around in the winebago and sticking to the back roads (ala Diary) felt the most "right" to me. Hell, it probably has to do with my desire to see whats happening in the rest of the world. Who knows? Maybe my being someplace would be important when something goes down.

I guess I would feel like I am doing something, anything as opposed to sitting alone in a boarded up building somewhere. I think feelings of being trapped would become overbearing and that would lead to a sense of hopelessness. By "traveling", I could keep up hope that I could do something, even if its just helping/saving someone else. It would give me more of a sense of purpose I guess.

And no, I would NOT carry a camera and record everything.

United States
    I have given thought to the "winebago" strategy, but have rejected it. I am no mechanic....engine trouble, I'd be stuck whereever I was. Also, the problem of finding fuel (a problem they had with the chopper in Dawn). Also, as a noisy vehicle in theory it could attract zeds, as well as attract raiders who might desire the moving house. Again, there are pros to it...a base that you could fortify to some extent, and you could "take the base with you" so to speak, but to me the cons outway the pros. They also couldnt go across rough terrain, perhaps couldnt even get past debris in the road that other vehicles could.

Zombie Capital of the World Pittsburgh, PA!
    Undisclosed
    Rural area building(possibly barn and hang out in the loft?), and make as little noise as possible. Take necessary supplies to the top floor (including rope, or ladder) and take out the staircase!!! (which would be noisey)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    I have given thought to the "winebago" strategy, but have rejected it. I am no mechanic....engine trouble, I'd be stuck whereever I was. Also, the problem of finding fuel (a problem they had with the chopper in Dawn). Also, as a noisy vehicle in theory it could attract zeds, as well as attract raiders who might desire the moving house. Again, there are pros to it...a base that you could fortify to some extent, and you could "take the base with you" so to speak, but to me the cons outway the pros. They also couldnt go across rough terrain, perhaps couldnt even get past debris in the road that other vehicles could.
    I think it would be easier to find fuel for a vehicle than it would be for a helicopter. Also, if you stick to the backroads and avoid big cities, I don't think the roads would be bad to get by on. Where I live, the cities are packed, but the rural areas are virtually DEVOID of life (and therefore traffic).

I have the same problem as you, about not being a mechanic, but it would be a risk I would have to take. I still think I'd rather deal with that than be trapped in a building somewhere. Between the small mom and pop style gas stations in the boonies and siphoning gas from abandoned cars, I think fuel levels would be ok for a while.

Lots and lots of farmland where I have in mind. Plenty of apple and cherry trees and fields of corn stalks to provide some quick food. I guess I'm familiar enough with the area, the general layout and population centers, so I feel confidant I would be decently well off. I would like another person or two with me thou. A small, mobile group could work wonders I think.

United States
    If you are in metro Detroit, I doubt you would make it out of there!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i'd stay at home. i've never been one to do what i am told. second, i live in small town literally out in the middle of nowhere. third, i have about as much faith in the govt's. ability to handle something like this as i do in the sun coming up in the south tomorrow.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    I'd avoid crowds and shelters.

I'm fending for myself (and loved ones). I don't trust people, mobs, crowds ...
    CLICK >>>>>>>>>>>>> for CINEOBSCURE and CINEOBSCURE FORUMS!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rege View Post
    is made of brick-and most windows are 6ft. off of the ground-doors are solid steel
    Ummm... Are you in prison?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Ummm... Are you in prison?
    lol... I was kind of wondering about the steel doors. That is at least fairly unique I would think.

Has to be great for security though if the door casing is steel as well and mounted with security in mind.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    lol... I was kind of wondering about the steel doors. That is at least fairly unique I would think.

Has to be great for security though if the door casing is steel as well and mounted with security in mind.
    You know you've watched too many zombie movies when you look at a house and inspect the doors on the likelihood they would protect you from the undead.

Ok...maybe that's just me!

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I watched this TV show on this awesome wildlife resort type place. It was way out in the middle of nowhere and all of the cabins were actually TREE HOUSES! They were all roughly 20-30 feet off of the ground and connected by walkways. This would be an awesome place to seek refuge. Granted there's a chance you could starve to death if you let too many of them gather on the ground below and you have no chance of going for supplies... but that may be better than being eaten alive.

United States
    stay at home. shelters always fall.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly_SWAT View Post
    If you are in metro Detroit, I doubt you would make it out of there!
    Sure. I live in the suburbs, not in the city. I know the tri-county area well enough to get out safely enough. I would start by avoiding the freeways!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by sandrock74 View Post
    Sure. I live in the suburbs, not in the city. I know the tri-county area well enough to get out safely enough. I would start by avoiding the freeways!
    Would you consider going across the bridge into Windsor? Seems like everyone always wants to "go to Canada".