Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Games of All Time - Your Picks...

United States

The Greatest Games of All Time - Your Picks...

Every so often, a "Great Games of All Time" gets released or updated by various sources that generally will cause outrage among the vast community of gamers out there. You can't please everyone, you know? Well, let's concentrate our "Best Of..." list to this small community here. So which video games would you consider to be the Greatest of All Time?

I'll just add one at the moment and post some others later.

Doom I & II

Although not the first games in the First Person Shooter genre, these two games clearly defined it to what it is today. Just about every FPS game has been influenced in some way. Normally I wouldn't post two games, but they are so similar that they are good enough to be posted together.

Canada
    Starcraft and WoW

sorry, even I can't lie that badly.

Hard to say..I have my own favourite games, but i doubt they'd be the best...

United States

Persona 4 - Probably PS2's last great game, I think it's one of the greatest of all time because it basically perfects the JRPG formula. The game plays out on a day-to-day basis, keeping things fresh by balancing enjoyable dungeon crawling with absorbing character building. If you have even the slightest interest in turn-based RPGs, you can't miss it.

Fallout 3 - This one came out of left field. I'd never played the two prequels, but I knew that once the series ended up in Bethesda's hands, good things would follow. I'm 50 hours in with a LOT of ground still to cover. To everyone here who owns this game, you know why it's amazing; the vast world to explore, haunting music, awesome quests, and VATS (which is one of the coolest gameplay innovations in a while) all add up to something very, very special.

Shenmue I & II - This one is more of a personal choice, and it's really easy for people to hate this game, which I understand. The clunky control, goofy voice acting and shoddy camera are easy to point out, but the fact is that Shenmue remains one of the few games that made me say "Wow" while playing. It's the atmosphere, music, fighting engine and world depth that make it one of the greatest ever, and few games since then have matched it in every catagory.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I definetley agree on the Doom 1 & 2 choice, and Fallout 3 isn't far behind. Haven't played the other two games mentioned so far, but JRPGs have always been something I've considered sub-par for their simple formula and clichés. So I doubt I'd enjoy them.

I'd also like to mention Homeworld, tho. One of the greatest, if not the greatest, RTS games ever produced.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    my personal games of the year for the last 19 (started early on a NES) would be"

90': final fantasy - no idea what i was doign, i was 2 at the time going on 3, but i loved the music, probably never made it out the first area but it was a hoot for me and a franchise ive loved for almost 20 years since.
    91': the legend of zelda - a link to the past - VERY cheesy name in retrospect but its a great game still and again started a longtime love of a franchise. -again the music is what i remember most.
    92': Kirby's dream land for the gameboy - fuck you guys, i was a toddler and loved the fuck out of this handheld platformer!
    93': The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening - the first on the list i remember with crystal clarity i loved going back to zelda again, granted it was black and white but it was on my bigass white brick of a "hand"-held and i could play it in the car. at the time this blew my mind.
    94': Final Fantasy 6, or 3 as it was then known, got it on import from my grandparents for christmas and loved it, i prefer it to 7, sorry, but its out there.
    95': Chrono Trigger - seriously, i was a jrpg nut when i was younger.
    96': Resident evil - though i would play this till later this wasnt a big year for me, i lost all my games and played nothing, in retrospect thsi was my game of the year.
    97': castlevania symphony of the night - again not till later, my mom was scared by the media that games would destroy my brain so i spent a few years without them.
    98': pokemon red - first game in years, tetris got me back in ,this was the lock on the escape route door.( though in retrospect ocarina and resi 2 are both close calls but resi 2 wins it overall, this is a personal list)
    99': final fantasy 8/silent hill/metal gear solid - these 3 were all i played for months, an unshakable three way tie.
    2000: grandia/ tony hawks pro skater 2 - lots of stuff about the dreamcast i could mention though.
    2001: golden sun, final fantasy X, silent hill 2, ico, devil may cry, sonic adventure 2, max payne, metal gear solid 2, pikmin, smash bros, halo - this was the year i really went from playing games out of boredom to being a full on videogames enthusiast.
    2002: warcraft 3, mario sunshine, luigis mansion, morrowind, kindgom hearts (again, fuck you), vice city, metroid prime, wind waker, jet set radio.
    2003: panzer dragoon, max payne 2, tony hawks underground, viewtiful joe - quiet year this one.
    2004: fable, silent hill 4, katamari damacy, tony hawks underground 2, halo 2, half life 2, vampire the masquerade: bloodlines, world of warcraft
    2005: resident evil 4, obscure, f.e.a.r., kameo, condemned....yep, not much to see here folks...
    2006: elder scrolls 4 oblivion, kingdom hearts 2, dead rising, okami, final fantasy 12, twilight princess
    2007: lost planet, hotel dusk, pheonix wright, wario ware, burning crusade, crackdown, stalker, super paper mario, persona 3, bioshock, eternal sonata, halo 3, folklore, the orange box, rock band, guitar hero 2 and 3
    2008: smash bros brawl, devil may cry 4, obscure 2, valkyria chronicles (GAME OF THE YEAR), mass effect, penny arcade, mgs4, trauma center, disgea, persona 4, siren blood curse, dead space, fable 2, mirrors edge, fallout 3, littlebig planet ,wrath of the lich king, prince of persia.
    2009: skate 2 so far.

im missing loads, crazy taxi, jet grind radio, seaman and such but there mostly fan ones whereas these are ones pretty much everyone, with a healthy love fo rpgs will enjoy on the whole.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    A lot of games that once knocked me flat now look a little lame in the cold light of titles like Crysis and Fallout 3.

A personal milestone that I will never forget, though, was Unreal. Yes, that game came about rather late in the day to be considered a true innovator, but let me tell you... after years of running around muddy brown tunnels in the dark finding keys and shooting monsters over and over again in dozens of barely-different permutations, the moment I stepped out of that crashed starship, under the wide-open sky of that strange alien world teeming with life and gorgeous environmental detail, I was almost literally knocked flat on my back.

Just to remind you how many hours of our lives we wasted in places like this...

And suddenly THIS happened...

It's hard to conceive now the effect it had when it came out, but for me in 1998 the part at 1:48 felt like being born.

United States
    AD&D Gold Box Titles (pool of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds, etc etc)

Wizardry I & II

Might and Magic 4-7

Baldur's Gate I and expecially II

WOW(no kidding, I love it)

Now THESE are role playing games.

Admittedly I did love a lot of the Final Fantasy Games as well.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Ff3/6

United States
    i always liked river city ransom on the NES, along with the orignal legend of zelda. the original castlevania games were fun as hell.

resident evil 1 & 2, twisted metal, and castlevania:SotN on psx were all bad-ass.

and gta3, vice city, and san andreas from the ps2 also must be mentioned.

current-gen games that i see myself enjoying years down the road include dead rising, fallout3, and gta4.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 06-Feb-2009 at 12:07 AM.

England
    Cannon fodder
    Syndicate
    Monkey island 2:Le Chucks revenge (amiga version)
    Road Rash 2
    Super mario world
    Mario Kart (original)
    Donkey Kong Country
    Doom 1 & 2
    Resident Evil
    Medal of honor (looks cack now,but it kickstarted the entire world war 2 FPS genre)
    Command & Conquer (the original,i havent cared much for any sequels)
    Final Fantasy 7 (no words needed,just a beautiful game)
    Operation Flashpoint cold war crisis
    GTA3
    Call of Duty 1 & 2
    Far Cry (first FPS i could describe as "gorgeous")
    Medieval 2:Total War
    Crysis
    Company of heroes

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by CoinReturn View Post

Shenmue I & II - This one is more of a personal choice, and it's really easy for people to hate this game, which I understand. The clunky control, goofy voice acting and shoddy camera are easy to point out, but the fact is that Shenmue remains one of the few games that made me say "Wow" while playing. It's the atmosphere, music, fighting engine and world depth that make it one of the greatest ever, and few games since then have matched it in every catagory.
    Word.

Shenmue is one of the most engrossing and atmospheric games ever crafted. I can just stand somewhere in Yamanose or Dobuita (or anywhere in that game) and not even play the damn thing. I just soak it up. A gentle giant of the game that reaps great rewards - the sequel was great too.

Other than that...

...are firm favourites.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Monkey island 2:Le Chucks revenge (amiga version)
    Totally forgot about that game!!! Wonderful game that. . wonderful series.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ^right on cap, and river city ransom is, and always will be a superior level of "the shit" than most things which are in fact, the shit.

wouldnt wanna live there tough-

"he's probably gonna go on to be an honor student or something!"

United States
    yeah, i've seen that vid, hellsing, at that is pretty funny shit.

BARF! wish they'd bring it to xbl.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    yeah, i've seen that vid, hellsing, at that is pretty funny shit.

BARF! wish they'd bring it to xbl.
    same here, more people need to experience its retarded plot.