Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DEADLANDS 2: TRAPPED 2009 UPDATE (Dist. and More)

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty much man. I am actually rendering out a cut right now to watch tonight. I think I pretty much have done all i can at this point to cut the movie to the best possible version available.

I am hoping the change in music score will help with some of the uneven moments. I am also glad I went through the film again as I found many poorly framed scenes, and I explain what i mean.

Deadlands 2 was shot open matte, meaning I used nothing to block the view in anyway shape or form. Doing this allowed the camera operators room to move around while shooting. In post production I made my mask (2.35:1) so the film has the cinema scope feel. When the Dp would frame a shot I always said remember to allow me room for masking, meaning don't go in too tight on the subject. If they go in to close You end up with weird framing, case in point a shot of Chris the theater manager trying to get Casey's attention. the shot was too tight, so in the re-cut I went with an alternate angle to take the extreme close-up out of the mix.

this type of shooting style is done with Super 35 quite a bit, DAWN 04, SHAUN, and LAND were shot Open Matte Super 35, and then framed in post production. To do it with a DVX100 you shoot in full frame mode, basically shoot with no letter boxing, and then just apply your mask (1.85:1 or 2.35:1) in post production. In fact all of the Pirates movies were done this way as well.

Now most people would say, well then you shot the film in 4:3 and it is not true widescreen, that is a yes and a no. Yes we shot 4:3 but allowed the room on set to allow a 16:9 anamorphic output in post production. Sony Vegas is one of the few editing programs that can let you mask your 4:3 footage and export it to 16:9, true anamorphic. You did get a hit in PQ, but, in the case of Deadlands I am making a $6,000.00 zombie flick with an action shooting style, set at night, shot on DV... Most of the quality is hit right from the get go, the loss to 16:9 output is minimal, and that can be saved by not having a huge amount of compression when rendering.

In all actuality you should only shoot 16:9 and export 16:9, but in this case it was something tested a while ago and it works well, and I am happy with the result.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Sony Vegas is one of the few editing programs that can let you mask your 4:3 footage and export it to 16:9, true anamorphic.
    One of the things I really like about Vegas. I was talking about that ability in Vegas to a dude I was working with last year, and he uses some other kind of software, but he couldn't get his head round editing in 4:3 (but filmed with widescreen cropping in mind), cropped to 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 and then rendering out a true 16x9 file.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    With a DVX100, it is best to shoot 4:3, or no letterboxing as this will give you the best resolution possible. Then when you apply the mask you won't lose a lot of resolution compared to shooting letterboxed and then masking the Letterbox footage.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    And one step closer we come...

Tonight (Saturday) Brian and I finished the last musical piece needed for the movie, now it is just a matter of getting into the film, making a few cuts and trims to sync it up all nice and pretty, then onto the final sound mix.

Brian and I watched the latest cut today and we both agree it fixed just about everything that needed fixing. The New score really helps push the movie along, and we don't run into downtime problems like the earlier cut.

I expect to make the few needed cuts and trims tomorrow to fit in the new song, a few more color correction spots to fix and then final sound mix and DEADLANDS 2 is done. I expect to be able to send out review screeners by April 15th 2009. Not much longer now, and I am glad you guys have been patient while we have pieced this puppy together. I think once you see it you will agree the wait was worth it, especially when you get to compare it to the original cut.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    Cool stuff dude.

Plus, it's better to take your time but produce quality, than to rush and it all not to be worth it, you know.

Kick ass.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    DONE DONE DONE.... Basically have to watch a version, again... LOL, but I think it is pretty much finished.

Goddamn, only took 18 months to produced, edit and finish.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Screened the movie tonight in prep for the April 18th screening. Two small audio issues to fix, but Goddamn if this newer edit doesn't kick all kinds of ass.

I mean even after spending months re-editing it I was amazed at how well the film turned out, especially for the money spent.

Once the screening on the 18th is over I will start prepping the self release versions so people can buy them up. I really feel Deadlands 2 is a winner of a film.

I remember the last time I prepped DEADLANDS 2 in its original cut form, went to the theater on night to watch with the projectionist and I fell asleep watching it, tonight stayed awake and loved every minute of it. I kept thinking... I actually directed this, and it turned out kick ass.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Good for you, DJ! You worked your butt off and I'm glad it turned out even better than you'd hoped.