Thread: tools of the trade

United States
    I would like this package:

M-1 .30 cal Carbine M-1_Carbine.jpg

Raging Thirty Raging Thirty.jpg

Or this one:
    Marlin .357/.38 Lever ActionMarlin 357.jpg

Ruger Speed Six 357 ruger_gs32n.jpg

And regardless of whatever package I would always want to have this strapped to my hip:

Vietnam/Special Forces type Tomahawk Tomahawk.jpg
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Undisclosed

Well.......

Forget knives, fire, I would want two weapons

1: 10A4C Wincherster Carabine with plenty ammo

2: Smith and Wesson 9mm pistol ( for close encouters )

Machine Gun would be better not sure if I could get it online

Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I would like this package:

M-1 .30 cal Carbine M-1_Carbine.jpg

Raging Thirty Raging Thirty.jpg

Or this one:
    Marlin .357/.38 Lever ActionMarlin 357.jpg

Ruger Speed Six 357 ruger_gs32n.jpg

And regardless of whatever package I would always want to have this strapped to my hip:

Vietnam/Special Forces type Tomahawk Tomahawk.jpg
    WOW...... I like the way you pack, in case of an uprising I know who I am hanging out with
    Last edited by lullubelle; 28-Feb-2009 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by lullubelle View Post

WOW...... I like the way you pack, in case of an uprising I know who I am hanging out with
    Thanks Lulu. BTW: Excellent choice with the Armalite AR-10 A4 .308 Winchester (I think that's the one you are referring to.) In the event of the dead coming back and walking around you are more than welcome to come and hang with me and my wife!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 01-Mar-2009 at 05:37 PM.
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Zombies: Ruger 10/22

Humans: Ruger 10/22 (then whatever they happened to be carrying)

-stray-

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    Zombies: Ruger 10/22

Humans: Ruger 10/22 (then whatever they happened to be carrying)

-stray-
    Yeah, I have always toyed with the idea of outfitting with a .22 as a primary, since you can find .22 rimfire ammo practically everywhere and can haul thousands of rounds on your person at a lighter weight than if you are humping .308 or 12 gauge 00 buck, but I've always been concerned with the stopping power of a .22. I wonder if it would be sufficient able to put down a crazed meth head swinging a machete while he is running at me and cursing. I mean, if I put ten rounds of .22 into some fool's chest who is coming at me I am certain that he will die eventually, but worried that he will live long enough to make it to my position with his machete. This has always been the reason why I have gone .30 cal and above.

I guess it is moot, however, since if some dude is crazy and determined enough he might be able to do you harm even if you blow out his lungs with a .45 semi-jacketed hollow-point. So in that regard, maybe you've got the right idea going with the Ruger 10/22 which is a fine and accurate piece (I got two at home!)

Dying

Undisclosed
    And the .22LR is easily suppressed on that platform. A practical consideration if the dead walk.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

United States
    I guess it is moot, however, since if some dude is crazy and determined enough he might be able to do you harm even if you blow out his lungs with a .45 semi-jacketed hollow-point. So in that regard, maybe you've got the right idea going with the Ruger 10/22 which is a fine and accurate piece (I got two at home!)
    You hit someone with a .45 they are going DOWN (crazed, or not). The .45 is a big, slow-moving round. It doesn't have the penetrating power of smaller, higher velocity bullets so it doesn't "punch through" a person's body. It hits, penetrates to a certain depth, then stops. All of that left over kinetic energy is then transferred to the body resulting in an immediate effect. It's called "knockdown", or "stopping power".

So, I guess I'll add a holstered 1911 to my list of "tools".

-stray-

United States
    You hit someone with a .45 they are going DOWN (crazed, or not). The .45 is a big, slow-moving round. It doesn't have the penetrating power of smaller, higher velocity bullets so it doesn't "punch through" a person's body. It hits, penetrates to a certain depth, then stops. All of that left over kinetic energy is then transferred to the body resulting in an immediate effect. It's called "knockdown", or "stopping power".

So, I guess I'll add a holstered 1911 to my list of "tools".

-stray-
    Well stated.

I guess advantages as well as disadvantages can be found with whatever weapon one chooses, but I think that I would err to the side that has better stopping power when the dead start to walk. Like always, I am more worried about the other survivors than I am the hurricane, or the ghouls. Maybe a .45 long arm and sidearm is a nice way to go? Any recommendations for a long arm .45, Stray?
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 09-Mar-2009 at 04:35 AM.

United States
    Any recommendations for a long arm .45, Stray?
    Specifically for .45 ACP, there are a few. But, keep in mind that this round was originally developed for pistols (hence ACP, Automatic Colt Pistol). Because of this, its accuracy suffers at longer ranges. From what I've read, you get decent results out to about 100-yards.

Here are a couple of examples: http://www.gundirectory.com/body.asp...c+Colt+Pistole

I personally wouldn't go with a .45 ACP long gun but, heck, if there was one laying on the ground I sure wouldn't leave it lay either.

-stray-

Undisclosed
    The .45 might be the best defensive/offensive pistol caliber ever invented for stopping power balanced with controllability for followup shots; its a great package and not called the "flying ashtray" for nothing.

I've always believed if I could only have one firearm it would be a .22 rifle. The Ruger 10/22 is probably the best one out there for many reasons as Stray chose. In an armageddon situation, I wouldn't be unhappy with a break open single shot .22 rifle. Very few working parts to break or wear out, no magazines to break/wear out, good accuracy and extremely easy cleanability. Sure you could eventually scavange up some solvent and oil or replacements which semi-autos must have but lets say you can't. In that situation, a break top single shot is going to go bang for a long time dirty and dry. Granted, you can't get caught in a situation of needing a high rate of fire but with any short distance at all you could walk around popping zombies all day long with a single shot. Against humans, you don't need to kill them unless they are right up on you. You wound one with a .22 and they are in a world of trouble in a zom world. Blowing out someones knee might be crueler than just dropping them in this type of world.

A good knife would be the no 1 tool though as so much of your survival depends on it.

Back in the old days I brought up the idea of using electricity as an offensive/defensive mechanism with varying views of agreement and disagreement so I'll mention it again. For instance.....

In Dawn in the mall when the bikers were coming to raid and intrusion was inevitable, why not open up the fire hose valves on the ground floor to start flooding it, then from the 2nd floor drop off extension cord with exposed wire end to electrify the water. Sooner or later, the bikers would make some kind of contact and get a little surprise. You would only have to be careful of electrical transferance up to metal items on the 2nd floor.

In a rural situation use a similar method. There is always barbed wire on a farm or ranch, so just loosely unstring it and encircle the house. Run your 110 extension cord out to the barbed wire to make it live. Be a hell of a surprise for anyone sneaking up on your place.

Downsides are if no electricity. Also, after something big enough hitting it you will probably blow breakers sooner or later but it would work pretty good at least once. Some will say zoms aren't effected by electricity but I think they would since they are "brain" oriented so there must be some type of electrical stimulation going on and electricity will disrupt that.

Anyway, its just one more thing to try vs wading into them with a baseball bat or trying to be Sgt York and burning through all your ammo.
    Last edited by Crappingbear; 11-Mar-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    Here's the variety of 10/22 rifles that are available.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...Yes&type=Rifle

I think I'd go with any of the 20" barrel models. I believe you'd get very good accuracy out to about 300-yards and still have the velocity to penetrate a skull with the .22LR round.

There's even a pink stocked model for the ladies (or, I suppose, for the sissy boys). Still, in a TEOTWAWKI scenario, I sure wouldn't leave it laying on the ground (I'd just spray paint it black, or rub it down with mud, or something ... either that, or I'd have to dress up in some Osh Kosh short-short overalls and do my hair up in a Richard Simmons pixie afro cut, then prance my way across the barren landscape shooting zombies ... or scratching their eyes out ... )

-stray-

Christmas Island
    How would the gun folks deal with rust on blued weapons and limited solvents such as naval jelly? Even without firing them, rust can be a pain in the ass on blued guns. Would everyone go stainless steel?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    How would the gun folks deal with rust on blued weapons and limited solvents such as naval jelly? Even without firing them, rust can be a pain in the ass on blued guns. Would everyone go stainless steel?
    Rust would only be a problem if one failed to keep the weapon clean. And then only rust inside the barrel and on certain moving parts would cause problems. A firearm won't last forever. It'll eventually wear out, but, by keeping it clean it should last for years and 10s of thousands of rounds fired.

Any type of oil can be used to lubricate the weapon, as long as it is used sparingly and often. A single bottle of motor oil would last for years.

-stray-

United States
    Rust would only be a problem if one failed to keep the weapon clean. And then only rust inside the barrel and on certain moving parts would cause problems. A firearm won't last forever. It'll eventually wear out, but, by keeping it clean it should last for years and 10s of thousands of rounds fired.

Any type of oil can be used to lubricate the weapon, as long as it is used sparingly and often. A single bottle of motor oil would last for years.

-stray-

Agreed. Vaseline would work in a pinch to protect weapons for long term storage. Olive oil, motor oil, even canola oil would do for lubrication and cleaning.

Super Moderator

United States
    Agreed. Vaseline would work in a pinch to protect weapons for long term storage. Olive oil, motor oil, even canola oil would do for lubrication and cleaning.
    Excellent. All stuff I have on hand in spades!

I mean...all stuff I should be able to...salvage...easily once needed.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany