Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tools of the trade

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland

tools of the trade

lets discuss tools of the trade shall we? what do you all think is a better weapon class for destroying the romero zombie and human threats? melee blade? melee blunt? pistol any caliber? rifle any caliber? shotgun? pick your class or classes, explain use, and why this class works better for you or anyone. if there is any classes i missed let me know. throw in homemade weapons and explosives if need be. or just feel free to dump in your current setup or your favorite setup. i feel we dont have enough of these type of threads so i made this up. lets hear it kids.

i have an odd type of weapon that im sure someone would only use on cars... a two foot or 24" breaker bar. feels good in the hands and hurts like crap when you get hit by one. would be good choice for secondary weapon only down fall would be shiny chrome body unless matte black. also good use for blown tires on side of road.
    IM HERE TO INFECT TRUTH. I HAVE MY WAYS BUT NONE AGAINST YOUR WILL. BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ITS TIME FOR CHANGE. WWW.MYSPACE.COM/UNDEADMATTHEW.

INFECT THE TRUTH!

Dying

Undisclosed
    The lightsaber. A graceful weapon from a more civilised age. Not as random or clumsy as a blaster.

Actually your breaker bar idea has a lot of merit for everyday use. It's not a prepared weapon, as it is legitimately used for automotive purposes "See officer, it's the proper sized socket for lug nuts!. I just haven't put it away since changing that flat..." so it's not like you're off looking for trouble.
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?
    Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: What?
    Colonel "Bat" Guano: You're gonna have to answer to the Coca-Cola company.

Undisclosed
    gotta be the good old flamethrower for me, no need for any skill just point and squirt

Undisclosed
    My most valuable tool in any survival situation is a good knife. With it I can fabricate a spear, staff, club, dress animals, etc..... If I had a choice of firearms its a .22 rifle. With it and a knife, I am pretty much fine.

United States
    Taking fire out of the equation I will go with melee edged weapons such as an axe or a halberd. I am a fan of hammers as well, not household hammers but more like a war hammer. Long shaft, spiked end... offering the best of both words.

United States
    Vorpal Blade?

United States
    +5 Throw and Return Meat Cleaver

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

United States
    My answer to this question would be "as wide a variety as possible", depending on means. Assuming I had a fortified location that I was using as a base, all foraging missions would include looking for more weapons, unless I was literally out of storage space for such items. Even then, I would look for better weapons and replace as neccesary. TO quote the Matrix..."Guns. Lots of guns". I would want as many firearms that I could get, as long as I could also find ample ammo for that particular gun. I would also want melee weapons. Although the thought of using a flame thrower seems cool, it would be heavy and not convenient to carry to a new location, would require refilling of the fuel source, and the fire itself could become dangerous to me, either accidentally shooting my base, or a zed on fire advancing and catching me or my base on fire.

Guns would be my first preference. Less effort to use than melee weapons. If ammo ran out, then I would resort to melee. Blunt weapons would be good too...blades need to be sharpened and cleaned. A baseball bat for example wouldnt. If I had to abondon the base for whatever reason, I would look to take as many firearms/ammo as I could, and the handiest non-firearm weapons. If I was on foot, obviously I could only carry so much, and the more I carry, the more energy I expend in carrying it. I would try to take whatever weapons I had the most success with in my previous zed fighting experience.

It could be possible that at any minute, my base could be beseiged and overrun, and I might have only a few moments to grab some stuff and run. With this in mind, I would try to carry on my person as much as I could all the time, lightweight small items. Definately a knife (or two, or three), at least two pistols on a gunbelt with ammo, possible other smaller pistols in a leg holster or something. Whatever was not too cumbersome to perform everyday tasks. So I would already have some stuff on my person. I would also try to leave compatiable stuff laying together near varying possible exits from the base, so I could grab a rifle and appropriate ammo without having to search for what goes with what. During a zombie apocalypse, with no job, etc. demanding my time, there would be plenty of time for proper preparation for things like this.

Super Moderator

United States
    As always, my answer remains the same: lead pipe.

Sure, I'd want a gun, but you better believe I'd have a blunt weapon handy. One that doesn't break.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Canada
    A High Constitution, and a very high Fortitude save.

Just been bitten Shadowofthedead's Avatar

Aaland
    myself personally i love guns and knives. i think the best type of gun all around would be any type of shot gun. lots of uses but ammo is cumbersome to pack in heavy loads. where i live im not even supposed to think gun let alone have one so i collect knives. ive got a variety of knives but i want something in the 11-12 inch blade range for maximum effectiveness and also my personal taste. but nothing beats the random shit you pick up on the street. i love nails in wood planks so much fun!!!
    IM HERE TO INFECT TRUTH. I HAVE MY WAYS BUT NONE AGAINST YOUR WILL. BROTHERS AND SISTERS OF THESE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA ITS TIME FOR CHANGE. WWW.MYSPACE.COM/UNDEADMATTHEW.

INFECT THE TRUTH!

Just been bitten zombieparanoia's Avatar

Undisclosed
    Probably something like the HK MP-7, a pistol sized weapon with better range and magazine capacity than a pistol which can also be used in burst fire as ti may be needed to be used against people too.

http://world.guns.ru/smg/smg49-e.htm

for in close a good solid machete, maybe something like a long kukhri.
    http://www.coldsteel.com/allterrain1.html
    Last edited by zombieparanoia; 12-Feb-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by mista_mo View Post
    A High Constitution, and a very high Fortitude save.
    that zombie roles for initiative your still f-ed up.

seriously though, this topic seems to be more for the weapon fetishist than me. talking about preferred ways to make things die aint my bag. even in a fantasy capacity is slightly creepy to me.

-but if push comes to shove....

monster truck with chainsaw wheels.

Undisclosed
    For humans intent on doing me harm? Electrically initiated IEDs from a concealed position, then mop up with either a scoped deer rifle or a belt fed machine gun.

For zombies, scoped deer rifle or a lightweight carbine such as the M-4 with a reflex red dot sight like the Aimpoint M68 CCO. Distance is always going to be your friend when extra ammo, medical care, and help are limited or just not there. Distance lets you choose when, or even if you'll fight, and it gives you the space to run if you choose to do that too.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Spackle bucket as a form 1/2 filled with cement
    100 feet of rope with one end set in the cement.
    Gloves,....high obs. point drop,...rinse,repeat as necessary.