Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Friday the 13th

United States

New Friday the 13th

Well, I just got back from seeing it at a midnight movie. All I can say is that I was EXTREMELY disappointed with it.

United States
    That bad? That's sucks. . I had hopes for it. The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

capncnut
    I didn't have to see the movie theatrically to know that it's a gigantic pile of dogs cock...

Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?
    I quite enjoyed TCM remake, was kinda fun.
    Last edited by capncnut; 13-Feb-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, I enjoyed the TCM remake ... not that it's a patch on the original of course, but it worked out quite nicely ... even if it had none of the allure or mystery or whatever of the original movie.

I saw a couple of clips for F13-2009 on BloodyDisgusting, and it just looks like TCM2003 all over again - all that "you ain't from round 'ere, folks round 'ere wanna be left alone, if they're gone missin' they're dead ya here?" country bumpkin bullshit that they've already done ... and they'd already done it in TCM where it made a bit more sense.

From what I've seen in clips and images and info, F13-2009 just seems like it desperately wants to be TCM2003 - and it's directed by the same guy and produced by the same company, so...

I'll see it eventually probably, and I'll no doubt come back bitchin' about it.

ViP

United States
    I'm seeing it tonight. Jason is back at camp again, if they fuck that up then to hell with em!

United States
    Any additional details? I heard it's the first 3 F13 movies all in one. Also, the new DVD "his name is jason" has a $10 coupon to see the new movie.

Undisclosed
    I will be taking it for what it is. A slasher movie. And I am watching it tonight.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    From what I've seen in clips and images and info, F13-2009 just seems like it desperately wants to be TCM2003 - and it's directed by the same guy and produced by the same company, so...
    Really? When I saw the promos I thought it looked like...a Friday the 13th movie. That is, if one from the 80's was made today...if that makes any sense...

Just out of curiosity Philly, how big a fan of the original series are you, or slasher movies in general. How does it compare to the originals? Details, man!

(Just went & checked a F13 site I lurk on. 3 people have seen it/voted on the poll so far. All 3 voted it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Most of the comments are pretty positive....)
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 13-Feb-2009 at 01:04 PM.

United States
    Ki ki ki, ma ma ma! Ki ki ki, ma ma ma!

United States
    Still ticks me off that remakes keep being made of movies with no new, fresh storylines coming out. The human mind is this computer capable of amazing things and writers can't come up with anything original???

With that said, I most likely will be seeing it, as my best friend Mike and I are horror movie buffs whose spouse aren't, and we've been going to movies together since college. I only hope no one ruins the ending for me before I get to see it....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnGirl27 View Post
    I only hope no one ruins the ending for me before I get to see it....

"Mother" was actually Norman all along

United States

^^^^^^

Very nice!

Super Moderator

UK
    I'll seek to avoid paying to see this movie, I'll see it out of curiosity (like I did with several other high profile remakes) - but the quality has been very mixed over the years, but with basically none of them at all whatsoever surpassing the original.

What they SHOULD be doing is digging out new talent with new ideas, as well as - if they simply must remake movies until their spunk-sacks and drained dry - taking old shitty movies like Drive-In Massacre, and making something way better based upon it.

Drive-In Massacre is absolute cack, yet the idea of that grindhouse fleapit open air cinema with a killer on the loose is the perfect vibe for a throw-back 70's-set horror slash-em-up like TCM2003, or what have you.

In fact, I'd gladly write a remake of Drive-In Massacre if some Hollywood type would stump up the cash - seriously - I think it could be remade well.

One of the main reasons - piss poor original film, so you've got bugger all to live up to - but also because the basic idea could work quite well if done right, especially with such a setting being a throw back to a past era that's gone by the way side, rather than at the time it was made it was fairly contemporary.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    That bad? That's sucks. . I had hopes for it. The Texas Chainsaw remake was quite good. What was so bad about it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Any additional details? I heard it's the first 3 F13 movies all in one. Also, the new DVD "his name is jason" has a $10 coupon to see the new movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    Really? When I saw the promos I thought it looked like...a Friday the 13th movie. That is, if one from the 80's was made today...if that makes any sense...

Just out of curiosity Philly, how big a fan of the original series are you, or slasher movies in general. How does it compare to the originals? Details, man!

(Just went & checked a F13 site I lurk on. 3 people have seen it/voted on the poll so far. All 3 voted it an 8 on a scale of 1-10. Most of the comments are pretty positive....)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Ki ki ki, ma ma ma! Ki ki ki, ma ma ma!
    To address all these comments at once, without giving away "spoilers" (if that is even possible, to spoil a pile of shit). The familar "ki ki ki, ma ma ma" is only heard TWICE in the movie ?!?!Either use it, or dont, but TWICE ?!!?

I am a big fan of the original series, and slasher films in general. I realize that none of them, Friday included, are masters of film. They are full of plot holes and rediculous actions from characters. But this film takes the cake. Due to legal entanglements between New Line and Paramount, they both had to 'agree' on this. In fact, both are presented in the beginning. I dont think I have ever seen that before, with both the New Line and Paramount logos in the beginning. To think that two studios BOTH agreed to put their names on this is funny. Considering the shit script they had to work with, I did not think that the acting was bad, it was OK. Some of the kill scenes were good as well. Quick, but good. But if you are going to hit the reset button on the series, how about make it LESS dumb than the other movies, not just as dumb if not MORE dumb? I thought from initial reports that it was going to provide some insight into the whole "how did Jason die, but then grow to full size and come back" question. Nope!! The entire series of events from the first movie are summarized in the first minute. Yes, MINUTE! Mind you, I am not suggesting it was quality material due an in-depth analysis, but there is NOTHING! Taking a page from Dawn04, lets have Jason RUN!!! Not walk so fast he can keep up, but RUN!!!! And Jason apparently off screen studied magic as a kid. He can MAGICALLY APPEAR!! Either that, or he has Star Trek type transporter capabilities there in the woods. There were SEVERAL instances where the character looks left, totally clear. Looks right for 2 seconds, turns back left, and JASON IS LITERALLY ONE FOOT AWAY FROM THEM, STANDING THERE!!!!! WTF?!?!?!

There is a 30 year jump cut. We see the first MINUTE (it says 1980 on screen), then it says PRESENT DAY. There is the obiligitory scene among the campers "hey did you hear what happened around here? Jason, mother, murders, etc". So apparently the story is well know. Yet, there are people LIVING BY THE LAKE who have not been killed, UNTIL NOW??!! Umm.....

And the ending? I wont spoil it for you, but it is as dumb an ending as they could come up with. Perhaps that was their goal.
    Last edited by Philly_SWAT; 13-Feb-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Undisclosed
    It's stupefying that there could even be a question as to whether or not this film would suck rotten eggs. This isn't even a remake, it's just a relaunch of the brand. I couldn't be bothered to waste the bandwidth "stealing" it.