Thread: Education Reform

United States

Education Reform

I have come up with an idea that could help with numerous issues.

In the United States, we have problems such as children growing up without knowing how to read, parents who raise criminals because they let a TV raise their kids (or because they are criminals or general pieces of shit themselves), single-parent homes causing financial stress, etc.

Well, allow me to offer an alternative to the current way of life.

What I propose is The Total Childhood Center:

What this means is, our state-run, state-financed facilities raise all children in the United States from the age of 3. At 3 years of age, each child is taken from his or her home, and the parents no longer have any responsibility to the child. All things are provided for the child for the duration of his or her stay at the facility.

Upon leaving their homes, all children are taken to the nearest Total Childhood Center.

At the Center, education begins; an intensive, 24-hour-a-day, 6-day-a-week system of learning. All new arrivals begin at the bottom (learning how to piss in a toilet, how to not swallow the fork when eating, etc.). Weekly testing will determine advancement to the next level of education.

Our curriculum ranges from the basic human skills of Group 1, all the way up to non-professional university level classes at the end.

All children are in class whenever they are awake. At the back of each main class hall, we have the children's sleeping tubes built into the walls.

Here they are:

After rising each day and bathing, exercising (see our full brochure for our multi-step physical training regimen), and eating, the children begin class. If any student tires and passes out during the day, he or she is tossed into his or her tube, to sleep it off until they rewake and rejoin the class.

For children who have advanced far enough to begin learning societal life skills, we have a fully-functional, fully-staffed town, which will prepare the children for life on their own, in the world at large.

Our facilities are 100% secure. Each compound comes equipped with steel-reinforced concrete walls, 15-foot razorwire fencing, patrolling K-9 units, and 8 sniper-manned towers. Any child who attempts escape will be shot, unless he or she can conveniently be taken alive. They will learn their lessons.

Every Sunday, parents and relatives are welcome to enter the compound and visit their children, in a well-guarded, sectioned-off portion of our instructional town.

There is no timetable for advancement, so there is no pressure on the child. Upon completion of the final levels of our curriculum, when the child demonstrates that he or she actually has a clue, he or she will be endowed with the title of "Adult", and be released into the world.

No child shall advance to the next level until all work is done and all tests passed for the child's current level. No child shall be granted Adult status until the entire system has been taken and passed. No time limit; if a child is able to learn and advance quickly, he or she will be allowed to do so.

On the other hand, if a child is willful or stupid, he or she will remain in his or her current level until they day he or she dies.

-------------------------------------------

...and that's about it.

United States
    SRP ..You have preteens or teenagers dont you??

Christmas Island
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Our facilities are 100% secure. Each compound comes equipped with steel-reinforced concrete walls, 15-foot razorwire fencing, patrolling K-9 units, and 8 sniper-manned towers. Any child who attempts escape will be shot, unless he or she can conveniently be taken alive. They will learn their lessons.
    I assume there's a cremation block somewhere. Gotta keep things tidy ya know.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusIncredulous View Post
    I assume there's a cremation block somewhere. Gotta keep things tidy ya know.
    No, burial. There is a cemetary in the instructional town. All the modern conveniences.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    this sounds like a mix of brave new world and spartan society. before i had kids, i would've said, hell yes to all of your proposals BUT, i have a 3 year old and when i look at him or think about him, my body chemistry changes and i am no longer a rational human being as far as his safety and welfare are concerned nor am i rational about being separated from him by the state. i would rather (and yes the dark side has a strong presence in me) throw a 90 year old woman down 4 flights of stairs for laughs than let anything come between my son and i. i would also gleefully and with a smile on my face step right in front of a bullet or face any sort of torture or death for him. i don't matter anymore. my DNA has been passed on, he is the one that matters now.

in fact, when i think about it, there is quite literally NOTHING that i wouldn't do or sanction on his behalf, if i thought that my actions would keep him safe. i mean this literally - the old question about torture; would you be ok with it if your kid's life were on the line. not only would i be ok with it, i'd gladly wield the cheese grater and box of salt myself. being a parent should change you big time, in ways that people who don't have kids, esp. little ones, can hardly understand. the fact that it doesn't change some people is not only sad but indicative of general failure...
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Feb-2009 at 02:52 AM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Don't worry, you'll still get to visit on Sundays.

The first generation of this would no doubt be hectic, with parents refusing to go along with it. But once the first generation goes through and then reproduces, it will get easier, because they will know that this is the way things are done. Within 3 or 4 generations, the old ways are gone and not even cared about.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Don't worry, you'll still get to visit on Sundays.
    . man, did that ever crack me the hell up.

Within 3 or 4 generations, the old ways are gone and not even cared about.
    i think you are most likely right here. after a few generations this would be the normal and accepted way of doing things; like spartan parents sending their kids to the barracks when they turned 7 to face the agoge.

no one in classical sparta even thought about it, it was just the way things were done.
    Last edited by Mike70; 17-Feb-2009 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I must admit, when I came up with this, I purposely went over-the-top in many aspects; it wasn't really serious.

But, a few minutes ago, I caught a glimpse of Star Trek on the tube. Kids on the ship, in space. Made me think about it a little:

When man does get off this planet, and begins trying to settle new worlds (and in fact reaching them first), this is almost exactly the type of education system that will be in place. Especially if we ever use multi-generational ships. A person could be born, grow up, die, living his entire life out in space somewhere. Everyone will have to have a specific use, and it's not like you can drop a person off at daycare. They will have to go through lifelong education, stuck in the confines of their ship.

Undisclosed
    One of the biggest problem with kids is their parents or lack there of. Idiots breeding idiots equal even dumber idiots for the future.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i would rather (and yes the dark side has a strong presence in me) throw a 90 year old woman down 4 flights of stairs for laughs
    You can tape it and post it on YouTube.

-stray-

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    You can tape it and post it on YouTube.

-stray-

i maybe foolish in some respects but even i know better than to videotape my criminal behavior - not that i've ever engaged in any- obviously.

United States
    I must admit, when I came up with this, I purposely went over-the-top in many aspects; it wasn't really serious.

But, a few minutes ago, I caught a glimpse of Star Trek on the tube. Kids on the ship, in space. Made me think about it a little:

When man does get off this planet, and begins trying to settle new worlds (and in fact reaching them first), this is almost exactly the type of education system that will be in place. Especially if we ever use multi-generational ships. A person could be born, grow up, die, living his entire life out in space somewhere. Everyone will have to have a specific use, and it's not like you can drop a person off at daycare. They will have to go through lifelong education, stuck in the confines of their ship.
    Any Star Trek episode I have ever watched the kids family lived on board the ship too. So, your idea of separating families wouldn't work. That is if you are thinking the terms of Star Trek.

Super Moderator

United States
    Fun read. Good joke

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany