Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Good Thing That Will Come From the Release of the new Terminator...

United States

One Good Thing That Will Come From the Release of the new Terminator...

One thing that may get people excited about the upcoming Terminator: Salvation film is not the actual film at all. It is inevitable that they are going to re-release the past two films on DVD/Blu-Ray. I realize that T2 has many good versions of it out there, but the original is definately lacking. I am hoping that T1 will be remastered, have the delete scenes added in, and go on Blu-Ray. Or maybe a nice 3 pack (ala Alien Quadrilogy?). Despite T3 being a pooper, it will have to go into any set that they release.

Super Moderator

UK
    If they do re-release T1 - I hope they release it with the proper audio in tact. Even if it's a mono track, I don't care - I want the sound effects I grew up with - as well as the original text on screen at the beginning, not that absolutely awful subtitle-type crap they blundered up on the screen on my DVD copy (the 20th anniversary one, or whatever).

Administrator

England
    T1 deleted scenes?

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I picked up T2 on blu ray for only 10 bucks. I also have the standard DVD ultimate edition, so I don't know if they can come up with anything new for the BR SE that makes it worth a purchase.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    T1 deleted scenes?
    Offhand, I remember seeing deleted scenes where Detective Vukovich (or the other one, I forget) begins to suspect while investigating the Sarah Connor killings that Reese's ravings have some grain of truth. Then after he meets the terminator himself and is shot (presumed dead in the final movie) he crawls out of a room in the burning police station and grabs Reece's leg - he hands him a pistol and says something along the lines of "You've got to protect her, she's too important".

I liked it, it sort of gave a purpose to the characters of the detectives.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Forget re-releases of Cameron's films. The absolute best thing to come out of the release of T4 is "The Terminators"!

Those people should be ashamed of themselves....

United States
    T1 Deleted Scenes:
    http://www.hopeofthefuture.net/delet...del_index.html

Oh and about the alternate sound? Is that why I thought it sounded different from how I remembered it? I always remembered the sound differently from when I was a kid.
    Last edited by 3pidemiC; 17-Feb-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    T1 Deleted Scenes:
    http://www.hopeofthefuture.net/delet...del_index.html

Oh and about the alternate sound? Is that why I thought it sounded different from how I remembered it? I always remembered the sound differently from when I was a kid.
    YES.

They fucked around all the sound effects - so the future war stuff doesn't sound anywhere near as tough, gritty or beefy, and all the gun sounds have been switched around - a shotgun now sounds like a pistol from the original audio of the movie, or vice versa (can't remember exactly).

So yeah, the audio is all kinds of different - they should have kept the original audio as an option for the purists - because the original audio was the best, the new version just sounds all kinds of wrong, as well as nowhere near tough and poundy/thumpy enough.

Plus that friggin' subtitle-text type crap replacing the original text on screen.

The sound here is also pretty nice. Well... that is, at least the new Dolby Digital 5.1 EX track is pretty nice. The one thing that sticks out as "wrong" with this track is, in the opening theme, there used to be the distinct sound of a sharp piece of metal being run down a blunt edge. It's there in the original mono track, but is distractingly absent in this new 5.1 track. Based on disc producer Van Ling's comments at the DVD Panel at the San Diego Comic-Con, Brad Fiedel came in and re-orchestrated some of the track for the new mix, so maybe he purposefully took that sound out of the theme. If he did, he took my favorite piece out and it hurt. If he didn't, somebody dropped the ball in the mixing room and assumed that sound should have been mixed down. Either way, it ain't there. But for the most part, the track itself is very dynamic. It's not as punchy as it could be, but there's some nice play in the surrounds and effects are spatial and scattered. It manages to mostly maintain the spirit of the original audio, while breathing new life into the track as well. On the other hand, the original mono track that's included on this new disc is very weak when held up against the original Image DVD released back in 1997. That mono track rocked with low frequency that made it much more vivid and aggressive sounding. If you have that disc, I'd say you should keep it because it represents the original sound of The Terminator much better than this new DVD does.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...minatorse.html

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I picked up T2 on blu ray for only 10 bucks. I also have the standard DVD ultimate edition, so I don't know if they can come up with anything new for the BR SE that makes it worth a purchase.
    The T2 Blu-Ray has awful PQ. be glad you nabbed for $10.00. imagine the suckers who paid the original $29.99 price.

Those of us that were into HD-DVD when it was around ordered the Frnech, English, or German imports because they did contain better transfers. Supposedly a T2 Blu-Ray remaster is in the works.

Another film said to have horrible PQ is the US release of American Psycho. So much word of mouth on the bad PQ led me to order mine from Australia because it is said that the BR edition from the land of Koala bears has better quality. The French/German release of American Psycho uses the wrong aspect ratio.

While imports cost a few bucks more, I would rather pay the extra money to get the HD picture I paid for than to be ripped off and end up with a crappy US release with ghosting.

AVS forums are a great place to find deals on Blu-Rays and they have so many discussions talking about PQ and AQ (Picture Quality/Audio Quality) Those guys will definitely steer you int he right directions so you HD purchases are money well spent, as opposed to mell just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    YES.

They fucked around all the sound effects - so the future war stuff doesn't sound anywhere near as tough, gritty or beefy, and all the gun sounds have been switched around - a shotgun now sounds like a pistol from the original audio of the movie, or vice versa (can't remember exactly).

So yeah, the audio is all kinds of different - they should have kept the original audio as an option for the purists - because the original audio was the best, the new version just sounds all kinds of wrong, as well as nowhere near tough and poundy/thumpy enough.

Plus that friggin' subtitle-text type crap replacing the original text on screen.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...minatorse.html

Yeah, but if James Cameron approved it, who are you to argue or complain?

Many directors have been able to go back and fix things within their films prior to re-releases. Walter Hill completely re-cut The Warriors. The HD version is a lot different, and is said to be his definitive vision. Maybe Cameron did the same with T1?
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 18-Feb-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    If they do re-release T1 - I hope they release it with the proper audio in tact. Even if it's a mono track, I don't care - I want the sound effects I grew up with - as well as the original text on screen at the beginning, not that absolutely awful subtitle-type crap they blundered up on the screen on my DVD copy (the 20th anniversary one, or whatever).
    right on snowball, right on.

plus it should get more people experiencing the epicness of terminator 2. the best action movie ever, even if the protagonist whent a bit wrong-

SAVIOUR OF HUMANITY!!!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    right on snowball, right on.

plus it should get more people experiencing the epicness of terminator 2. the best action movie ever, even if the protagonist whent a bit wrong-

SAVIOUR OF HUMANITY!!!!
    Definately a bad day...

He's still doing a lot of work, so I assume he's 'back in shape again'...

Super Moderator

UK
    A DVD site I find really good is www.dvdcompare.net - type in your title, and see how they all compare, and which is the winner - I used it frequently.

Yeah, but if James Cameron approved it, who are you to argue or complain?
    A loving fan of the original audio track.

I believe it happened because they didn't have the source elements or whatever for the sound effects, so when re-jigging it for surround or whatever, they had to create new sound effects ... but it's just lame when compared to the original audio effects, which kick ass.

Administrator

England
    I believe it happened because they didn't have the source elements or whatever for the sound effects, so when re-jigging it for surround or whatever, they had to create new sound effects ... but it's just lame when compared to the original audio effects, which kick ass.
    What sort of sound effects are we talking about?

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    What sort of sound effects are we talking about?

That's an example - in this one, many of the gunshots are all different sound effects - especially that famous shot in the dark office when a cop jumps up from behind a desk and fires and the Terminator fires back with the shotgun, which in the original audio mix had so much grunt and power behind it, it was just really memorable and intimidating - but it's also in other scenes, such as the HKs sounding different, as well as some explosions.

It's kind of hard to explain without having a sit down with you in person and playing scenes from both versions one after the other, but trust me, the audio is quite a bit different on the DVD version I've got, compared to the original audio the film was released with.

That's another example - the lazer fire sounds totally different, and the HK sounds different. Also, towards the end of this clip where the infiltation Terminator starts fire - again - totally different, replaced in the above YouTube clip with a far softer, wimpier sound - before it had some real grunt to it. Also during that infiltration scene, the lazer sounds are different, as well as the explosion.

(Embedding disabled on this clip, rather annoyingly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqRCCZT1Kow

That's an excellent example of the ORIGINAL AUDIO - during the car chase from the parking garage up to when the cops arrest them - and it's a particularly good example of how the shotguns in the film originally sounded - in the DVD I've got, they now actually sound like the pistol Arnie fires during the chase near the end when they go through the tunnel throwing pipe bombs.

(Embedding disabled on this clip, rather annoyingly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXwOUdAyJs

Now, here's the exact same scene - but with the NEW AUDIO - notice the different in the shotgun effect especially. But also note how many of the shotgun effects are almost inaudible, and often get completely trampled by the glass shattering effects towards the end of the sequence.

As you can hear, the original audio is far better than the re-mastered version - and it's like that throughout the entire movie. In fact, the re-mastered audio mix is downright awful at times, and a real spoiler for an otherwise decent DVD presentation. I was gutted when I first watched the DVD and heard the new mix ... ugh ... give me back my proper mono mix!

That's the final chase scene (part of it anyway), and you'll notice the machine gun is a different sound, as well as the really different sound of the bullets hitting the 4x4, and the pipe bombs exploding, and of course the pistol towards the end of that clip - totally different to what it was originally, plus the wing mirror breaking, and the bike getting smashed up ... and some other effects too I think.

As I said above, the pistol in that chase above originally sounded like the shotgun now sounds like in the re-mastered audio.

I hope this long-winded explanation, with samples, helps illustrate what I'm on about, and it's not just me that's noticed, many Terminator fans have noticed and even the ones that don't quite know what's different have said "it doesn't sound like I remember it".

I want my mono soundtrack I grew up with back! In fact, I dug out a VHS copy I taped off the TV, so I'll watch that for a trip down memory lane for my ears.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Feb-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    The T2 Blu-Ray has awful PQ. be glad you nabbed for $10.00. imagine the suckers who paid the original $29.99 price.

Those of us that were into HD-DVD when it was around ordered the Frnech, English, or German imports because they did contain better transfers. Supposedly a T2 Blu-Ray remaster is in the works.

Another film said to have horrible PQ is the US release of American Psycho. So much word of mouth on the bad PQ led me to order mine from Australia because it is said that the BR edition from the land of Koala bears has better quality. The French/German release of American Psycho uses the wrong aspect ratio.

While imports cost a few bucks more, I would rather pay the extra money to get the HD picture I paid for than to be ripped off and end up with a crappy US release with ghosting.

AVS forums are a great place to find deals on Blu-Rays and they have so many discussions talking about PQ and AQ (Picture Quality/Audio Quality) Those guys will definitely steer you int he right directions so you HD purchases are money well spent, as opposed to mell just wasted.

I don't know much about that techno mumbo jumbo stuff. I just know if it looks good or if it doesnt. It looks good, but it's obvious that it's not as good as some others. Let's say....The Dark Knight and The Matrix. Holy fook Those are probably the best looking BR's I have.

Then I have some older movies that look good, but not perfect like newer ones. Beetlejuice....it looks awesome, but not as good as the two mentioned above. I guess it's because it's older? I dunno....I'm just looking forward to the Ghostbusters BR's. Apparently they're going to be the first BR's to hold so much information or something like that. I've seen a few screens and they look INCREDIBLE.
    Last edited by bassman; 18-Feb-2009 at 08:10 PM.