Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Blatant and thoughtless Racism is alive and well

Undisclosed
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...re&btnG=Search

Did anyone mention the intended Shakespeare angle yet?

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    That just means that most people are likely to judge the cartoon without having a clue what it's actually pointing at. In other words, it means most people are stupid.

Now, why is it up to the author to cater to the idiots? Why shouldn't it be the responsibility of the reader to have a brain, and know what he's reading?

When people no longer have to actually take responsibility for their own knowledge (or lack of it), that's just giving the green light to rampant stupidity. The "I don't need to actually know shit, someone else should know it for me" attitude.

?
    Nope, it really has no relation to the viewers intelligence. It has to do with perceptions, which all art is subjected to.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Nope, it really has no relation to the viewers intelligence. It has to do with perceptions, which all art is subjected to.
    Yes, it does.

"It's making fun of President Obama".

That's a fucking WRONG STATEMENT. That's not the cartoonist's fault; that's the fault of know-nothings that have no clue what they're bitching about, but love to run with any racism angle.

Every single person that thinks this cartoon has anything at all to do with "a racist portrayal of Obama as a chimp" should be forced - forced - to get "Barack Obama didn't write the fucking stimulus bill" tattooed across their foreheads, for all to see.

This is what I mean. People want to make the author responsible for THEM not knowing what they just read. And that's simply wrong; it should be their own responsibility to know what the cartoon says, before they go on their crusade against it.

United States
    Wether or not you or I see it personnally as racist however matters not one whit.
    I respectfully disagree. What you and I think about any issue does matter and our opinions are valid regardless of whether or not someone might be offended. Divergent opinions must never be silenced.

-stray-

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    I respectfully disagree. What you and I think about any issue does matter and our opinions are valid regardless of whether or not someone might be offended. Divergent opinions must never be silenced.

-stray-
    True true. And I am not a proponent for silencing the opposition. This is not a situation of censorship, but of self censorship. Courtesy and sensitivity if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    Yes, it does.

"It's making fun of President Obama".

That's a fucking WRONG STATEMENT. That's not the cartoonist's fault; that's the fault of know-nothings that have no clue what they're bitching about, but love to run with any racism angle.

Every single person that thinks this cartoon has anything at all to do with "a racist portrayal of Obama as a chimp" should be forced - forced - to get "Barack Obama didn't write the fucking stimulus bill" tattooed across their foreheads, for all to see.

This is what I mean. People want to make the author responsible for THEM not knowing what they just read. And that's simply wrong; it should be their own responsibility to know what the cartoon says, before they go on their crusade against it.
    The bill is refered to as "Obama's Stimulus Bill" The man is taking credit for it, so most people would assume he had a part in writing it as well.
    Last edited by clanglee; 26-Feb-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    True true. And I am not a proponent for silencing the opposition. This is not a situation of censorship, but of self censorship. Courtesy and sensitivity if you will.
    I'll agree up to the point of the "self-censorship" being completely voluntary and not based on fear of someone else's reaction. However, this issue could also be used to stifle free speech and, therein, lies the true danger.

The bill is refered to as "Obama's Stimulus Bill" The man is taking credit for it, so most people would assume he had a part in writing it as well.
    Isn't that the point SRP is making? Stupid people?

-stray-

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by triste realtà View Post
    Did anyone mention the intended Shakespeare angle yet?
    No, is that what was intended?

The Post should hire the guy that improved their cartoon:

BE MORE FUNNY!