Thread: The woods behind my house caught on fire today

United States

Exclamation The woods behind my house caught on fire today

I was out jogging on the main street in my neighborhood and saw smoke coming from the woods so I jogged over to the woods into a trail. Half a mile back the woods were completely engulfed in flames, I was kind of amazed at first because it looked like a bon fire from where I originally saw the smoke. I called 911 and jogged back to my house to get my camera to record that shat. Didn't have to go far to record it, it had already reached my back yard. My parents were at work so I turned on the sprinkler system to prevent anymore damage to the grass and got the hose that drains our pool and started draining it on the bushes that were already engulfed in flames. I took forever for the firemen to come. They all went to the other part of the neighborhood where people were being forced to evacuate because it was so bad.

Below is one of the many home movies I shot of this, you can see how close it got to my house. Unfortunately my camera died so I ran over to my friends house to get hers. I'll upload her stuff tomorrow and show you guys the damage.

Tampa Bay news link

United States
    god damn bra. i didn't know u were from florida. thats where i'm from originally. st. augustine. once when i was bout 15 or 16 i was a punk kid with my punk friends back in very similar looking marsh. they had built a country club nearby, and we were in the middle of a man made lake on a dune made by a crane. i was carrying a burning stick across dry grass when out of nowhere i heard a snap and the whole place was ablaze. being a kid i ran and so did my friends. i could do nothing because even by the time i got to civilization it was already reported, not that i was far. anyway, all that got burned was dry grass on the beach, but however that wasnt my only incident with fire in florida. those pine forests are nothing to joke about. they make gasoline look like water. lucky you though!

Undisclosed
    damn cody, sounds like a close call but im glad your house survivied

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Holy hell. Glad you and your family and home are alright.

I remember back in high school the woods across from my house were set on fire. Since I was the known "bad kid" (according to some idiots), the police were at my house in no time and were sure that I did it. They asked me to come with them and, being the young and naive kid I was, I went with them without my Mother knowing where I was. Thankfully when they brought me to the witness that saw the kid whom did it, she was positive it wasn't me. The cop that had me in his car then seemed to have a mixture of apologetic-embarrassment and some sort of anger that it wasn't me.

Super Moderator

United States
    Glad the house is okay, man.

Quote Originally Posted by trancelikestate View Post
    god damn bra.
    Hehe, that made me think of bra burning and I had to re-read Cody's post to see if there was a rumor of a hippie burning her bra, as a possible cause for the fire.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    you didn't by any chance hear gods voice commanding you or giving you new laws by any chance? Just one other thing...not sure if this in pertinent but couldn't the water from your pool ultimately kill any vegetation you spray it on?

That is some scary stuff!!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Fuckin' hell, if it's not a tidal wave from a broken levy it's a firestorm from the woods. You poor guys in the south-west US don't have much luck, eh?

Dying

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Fuckin' hell, if it's not a tidal wave from a broken levy it's a firestorm from the woods. You poor guys in the south-west US don't have much luck, eh?
    Dude, it was just a fire in his backyard.
    Last edited by major jay; 20-Feb-2009 at 09:56 PM.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by major jay View Post
    Dude, it was just a fire in his backyard.
    Yeah, I just like being dramatic.

Being Attacked

Undisclosed
    Being in the midwest is not much fun either when it comes to fires.

For about the past three months, it has been so dry that the county has been under a burn ban.

My brother almost burned down his home a month ago while burning trash in a barrel. He also took out about 20 acres of pasture.