Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dying Girl's Last Wish - A Wedding

Sunny Gulfland, Within sight of the Beautiful Manatee River
    United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Bit sad/confusing that a 'wedding' is seen as such an important event!?
    Not really, it's still the high point of many women's lives. like having children is for some. Remember, this is a little girl, and a wedding is when the bride is the center of attention.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Not really, it's still the high point of many women's lives. like having children is for some. Remember, this is a little girl, and a wedding is when the bride is the center of attention.

M_
    My point still stands... Nature or nurture? Seems a daft thing to fixate on!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    My point still stands... Nature or nurture? Seems a daft thing to fixate on!
    Good Question that we may never answer. Where do your wishes come from? I'm sure I don't know where mine come from. I do know that I don't see her desire as that unusual. I think it's been brought up that she's not thinking of romance or sex, she's thinking of her special day that she may never grow up tp have in reality, so she has this to remember.

As far as it's being daft, the few stories I've seen of people who came near death and told the tale describe thinking of the strangest things like "Did I leave the oven on?" or somesuch. Death is a big concept, we can't really comprehend it, no matter our belief system.

M_
    "I would like to take you seriously, but to do so would affront your intelligence." William F. Buckley, Jr.

Administrator

England
    Good Question that we may never answer. Where do your wishes come from? I'm sure I don't know where mine come from. I do know that I don't see her desire as that unusual. I think it's been brought up that she's not thinking of romance or sex, she's thinking of her special day that she may never grow up tp have in reality, so she has this to remember.

As far as it's being daft, the few stories I've seen of people who came near death and told the tale describe thinking of the strangest things like "Did I leave the oven on?" or somesuch. Death is a big concept, we can't really comprehend it, no matter our belief system.

M_
    I guess my point is 'The Wedding Day' is clearly instilled by society in some girls minds as the most important day in their lives, which to me seems a little odd/worrying. I can't fathom the idea it's the most important day of your life?

Surely there's better things to fixate on?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United Kingdom
    I guess my point is 'The Wedding Day' is clearly instilled by society in some girls minds as the most important day in their lives, which to me seems a little odd/worrying. I can't fathom the idea it's the most important day of your life?

Surely there's better things to fixate on?
    Yes... there are. But the idea of having a day that is all about YOU being beautiful and loved and the centre of attention is way too much for many women to keep in perspective, especially when it is reinforced by TV and celebrity weddings etc, and leads to the often worrying situation where fiancees devote all their time and resources planning a wedding and not a marriage.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Chic Freak View Post
    Yes... there are. But the idea of having a day that is all about YOU being beautiful and loved and the centre of attention is way too much for many women to keep in perspective, especially when it is reinforced by TV and celebrity weddings etc, and leads to the often worrying situation where fiancees devote all their time and resources planning a wedding and not a marriage.
    Most prople don't plan marrages, much to their loss I'm afraid. MOST people think everything works out because you LUVVVVVV each other. From the divorce rates I'd say they were mistaken.

But this wasn't about marrage as we've said, this is about the Bride's special day. And yes, it sounds silly, and maybe if we were REALLY liberated it would be different. But we haven't QUITE reached that particular stage in our evolution. In my opinion it'll be a sadder world when we do.

M_

United States
    Most prople don't plan marrages, much to their loss I'm afraid. MOST people think everything works out because you LUVVVVVV each other. From the divorce rates I'd say they were mistaken.

But this wasn't about marrage as we've said, this is about the Bride's special day. And yes, it sounds silly, and maybe if we were REALLY liberated it would be different. But we haven't QUITE reached that particular stage in our evolution. In my opinion it'll be a sadder world when we do.

M_
    Amen. If it was this little girl's dream, if it made her happy even for only that one day, then so be it.

It's selfish, I know, but I hope I never ... NEVER ... have to face saying goodbye to one of my kids before their time.

-stray-

United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post
    It's selfish, I know, but I hope I never ... NEVER ... have to face saying goodbye to one of my kids before their time.
    Sounds fair enough to me hon.

Oh, and I'd just like to make it 100% clear that I wasn't criticising the kids for not "planning a marriage" in my last post! I was talking about actual adult marriages. I think it's great that the little girl got the special day she wanted.
    La freak, c'est chic!

.:Twitter:.:Facebook:.:Blogspot:.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by strayrider View Post

-stray-
    That's not selfish at all, strayrider. That's human.

I think everyone dreads that, deep down. It's one thing that scares us even more than our own death.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 11-Mar-2009 at 12:29 AM.