Thread: 'The Tripods' news...

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    is there anything that isn't being remade, rebooted or re-envisioned? the BBC Tripods show was pretty entertaining, at least i thought so when i was younger. i wonder how the show has held up?
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    I watched The Tripods series 1 & 2 on DVD a few years ago. It was great but the second series ended on a cliffhanger and no more shows were ever made, which was absolutely infuriating - a little bit like the end of Phantasm IV.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I watched The Tripods series 1 & 2 on DVD a few years ago. It was great but the second series ended on a cliffhanger and no more shows were ever made, which was absolutely infuriating - a little bit like the end of Phantasm IV.
    Me too! Utter shame that 3rd series didn't get made, especially with the cliffhanger ending of the 2nd series
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    i haven't seen tripods since i was a kid. how do you think it's held up over the years? i wonder if the near 40 me would enjoy it as much now as i did when i was 14 or 15.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i haven't seen tripods since i was a kid. how do you think it's held up over the years? i wonder if the near 40 me would enjoy it as much now as i did when i was 14 or 15.
    It held up not too badly. The acting was a bit hammy in places but in all honesty it's no worse than you'd expect.

I didn't see it during its original TV release (I was three months old when it first aired), so I can't really compare its effectiveness now vs. then, but I can say the special effects and everything were technically a lot better than other similar shows during the same period (e.g. Colin Baker-era Doctor Who, Blakes 7, Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy, etc.). That said however, there weren't too many special effects shows at all in the first series - the threat of the Tripods was used more as a background to the human drama, you'd only see them maybe one or twice in most episodes - so instead of spending the lowish budget on lots of cheap effects, they seem to have wisely traded screen time for quality, and on the few occasions the Tripods do appear, they are really impressive.

You can see in the second series they had a bit more money so you see a lot more of the aliens and their technology - including a huge futuristic Tripod city that looks like something out of Blade Runner.

Kazakhstan
    Ok true story

I got hammered in Brighton last year with an old schoomate. About 2am everywhere started shutting, so we went on a mission to find somewhere to drink.

We found this Nordic bar that didn't serve anything we'd heard of apart from Tuborg, and this dude at the bar guided us through what all the obscure booze was.

Anyway we got wrecked, but something wasn't quite right, I recognised him from somewhere...

IT WAS FRITZ FROM THE TRIPODS (series 2)

I said "you're fritz from the tripods!" and he was like "oh bloody hell"

Anyway we had a chat about tripods & stuff, he remembers it all quite fondly

but yeah...er... there you go trivia fans, fritz is alive & well & can hold his drink
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by _liam_ View Post
    Ok true story

I got hammered in Brighton last year with an old schoomate. About 2am everywhere started shutting, so we went on a mission to find somewhere to drink.

We found this Nordic bar that didn't serve anything we'd heard of apart from Tuborg, and this dude at the bar guided us through what all the obscure booze was.

Anyway we got wrecked, but something wasn't quite right, I recognised him from somewhere...

IT WAS FRITZ FROM THE TRIPODS (series 2)

I said "you're fritz from the tripods!" and he was like "oh bloody hell"

Anyway we had a chat about tripods & stuff, he remembers it all quite fondly

but yeah...er... there you go trivia fans, fritz is alive & well & can hold his drink
    Guy with the orange top?
    -Carl Sagan

capncnut
    Bloody hell, looks like he's wrecked in that photo as well.

Kazakhstan
    Yeah that's the dude. He's safe
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war, but they can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.
    Tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and endangering the country.
    it works the same in every country."

-Herman Goering, Hitler's Reichsmarschall, at the Nuremberg trials.

THE LEISURE HIVE