Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey america, watch me pull a rabbit outta my...

Undisclosed

Talking Hey america, watch me pull a rabbit outta my...

Obama Plans to Slash the Federal Deficit in Half

I really want to know how the man who spent nearly a trillion dollars we don’t have earlier in the week thinks he can cut the deficit in half along with “plans to broaden health care coverage to eventually insure everyone. Moving the country toward greener energy sources. Expanding education opportunities. Overhauling financial industry regulation“.

I want to know how a man who a few short months ago said deficits don’t matter can now say “We can’t generate sustained growth without getting our deficits under control,” with a straight face.

It will all be just a lot of hot air, I’m sure since the plan rests “on the assumption that the economy recovers from the current slump” and does not consider “additional spending on economic stimulus or bailouts of the financial or other sectors“.

Where will the money come from? “Winding down the war” in Iraq, eliminating Bush’s tax cuts on families earning more than $250,000 a year (raising their tax rate from 35% to 39.6%), increasing the capital gains tax by 5%, closing corporate tax “loopholes” and taxing the earnings of hedge fund managers as normal income rather than as capital gains.

Not mentioned, of course, is that while “winding down” in Iraq, Obama is “winding up” in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Obama authorized 17,500 additional troops to Afghanistan just a few days ago and The Raw Story reported yesterday that Obama is expanding military operations in Pakistan.

There is also no mention of how businesses - especially small businesses - might be able to create jobs when suddenly faced with a much higher tax bill. Common sense says higher taxes will lead to more layoffs and more businesses closing down completely.

Obamanomics. It will make you laugh till you cry.
    Last edited by Usumgal; 26-Feb-2009 at 08:36 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I try to avoid politics because all they ever create is arguments and childish bickering....but I would like to point out that I find it hilarious when people blame everything on the president as if he's the one and only person calling the shots. Not so.

And Usumgal....AWESOME avatar.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Usumgal View Post
    Obama Plans to Slash the Federal Deficit in Half

I really want to know how the man who spent nearly a trillion dollars we don’t have earlier in the week thinks he can cut the deficit in half along with “plans to broaden health care coverage to eventually insure everyone. Moving the country toward greener energy sources. Expanding education opportunities. Overhauling financial industry regulation“.

I want to know how a man who a few short months ago said deficits don’t matter can now say “We can’t generate sustained growth without getting our deficits under control,” with a straight face.

It will all be just a lot of hot air, I’m sure since the plan rests “on the assumption that the economy recovers from the current slump” and does not consider “additional spending on economic stimulus or bailouts of the financial or other sectors“.

Where will the money come from? “Winding down the war” in Iraq, eliminating Bush’s tax cuts on families earning more than $250,000 a year (raising their tax rate from 35% to 39.6%), increasing the capital gains tax by 5%, closing corporate tax “loopholes” and taxing the earnings of hedge fund managers as normal income rather than as capital gains.

Not mentioned, of course, is that while “winding down” in Iraq, Obama is “winding up” in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Obama authorized 17,500 additional troops to Afghanistan just a few days ago and The Raw Story reported yesterday that Obama is expanding military operations in Pakistan.

There is also no mention of how businesses - especially small businesses - might be able to create jobs when suddenly faced with a much higher tax bill. Common sense says higher taxes will lead to more layoffs and more businesses closing down completely.

Obamanomics. It will make you laugh till you cry.
    I honestly believe the guy doesn't know what he is doing. And he has a staff of cronies with no real experience in anything they are doing. So they're all winging it and destroying the machinery at the same time.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I try to avoid politics because all they ever create is arguments and childish bickering....but I would like to point out that I find it hilarious when people blame everything on the president as if he's the one and only person calling the shots. Not so.
    i'm going to steal the pic you put up a bit ago because it fits and because obama's election has left some people on the brink of insanity.

it's a madhouse! A MADHOUSE!
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Remember when the Bush administration ruined the possibility of actually having a surplus after the Clinton administration? Good times.

The Iraq War is the biggest contributor to the current deficit that we have.

United States
    The "surplus" people talk about has nothing to do with the national debt. It's just money spent below the executive budget. The national debt is enormous, and it has always (for all intents and purposes) been there, and won't be paid in our lifetimes. The only time there was no debt was when Andrew Jackson was President. Since then, it has just been deeper and deeper into the red.

It takes awhile to dig yourself out of a 180-year-old hole.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    You sir are a sage. Anyway, give the kid a break. He's only been in the game a few years, and... I don't know, maybe politics should be done away with completely. Anarchy for all!

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    , and... I don't know, maybe politics should be done away with completely. Anarchy for all!
    I have to agree. In some ways, it might be for the best. The stupid would die, the smart thrive. The way of nature.

England
    Sounds like you've got yourselves a "Tony Blair" government chaps, that feckin' eejit blasted similar hot air for years & now the UK is in a real mess, made even worse by the fact we now have Gordon Brown as PM, with the dark lord mandelson pulling all the strings!
    On the plus side the "obamania" seems to have subsided very quickly over here now,theres barely a mention of him in the UK barring the usual world news events

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    17,500 more than Bush's lame duck increase
    of 20,000 each soldier costs $800,000 a year
    according to last years DOD outlays do the math.

Banned
    Banned User

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Sounds like you've got yourselves a "Tony Blair" government chaps, that feckin' eejit blasted similar hot air for years & now the UK is in a real mess, made even worse by the fact we now have Gordon Brown as PM, with the dark lord mandelson pulling all the strings!
    On the plus side the "obamania" seems to have subsided very quickly over here now,theres barely a mention of him in the UK barring the usual world news events
    Well he managed to take our and your economy from the pan to the fire. The Dems will be out with good reason in 2010, if the Pubs get their veto-proof majority expect impeachment charges to start. Obama clearly doesn't know what he is doing and if he does then he is a criminal.

United States
    I love it when people say that he has no idea what he is doing. Who are you comparing his performance to? I hate to keep backtracking, but just look at George Bush and his record. There is a reason that he will be referred to as one of if not the worst president in our history. And your mention of impeachment is laughable. If Bush/Cheney did not get impeached over their many ACTUAL CRIMES (Torture, Wire tapping, Constitution-burning, etc.) then there is no way Obama is going anywhere. Honestly, I highly doubt the Republicans will get a majority in the house for quite some time. The country is moving blue, and it shows. But if you have the desire to live in a theocracy, then I am sure there are some places in this world that would love to take you in.
    Last edited by 3pidemiC; 27-Feb-2009 at 06:45 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by J0hnnyReb View Post
    Well he managed to take our and your economy from the pan to the fire. The Dems will be out with good reason in 2010, if the Pubs get their veto-proof majority expect impeachment charges to start. Obama clearly doesn't know what he is doing and if he does then he is a criminal.
    good luck with that there buddy.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Man these politics threads are going into hyperbole overload lately

It makes having an actual conversation impossible when people are chicken-littling, chest puffing and punditing to their partisan's content all the time.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 27-Feb-2009 at 10:16 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    chest puffing and punditing to their partisan's content .
    Alliteration!!!!
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."