Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHORT ZOMBIE MOVIE CHALLENGE - Possible Contest

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I believe it has to be a brand new short.
    What if it's never been shown publicly before and it meets all of the criteria listed?

United States
    I hope this contest doesn't start for a few more weeks because the weather in Chicago is still really crappy as it is in most places in the northern U.S..

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Probably around mid march is when it will kick off.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    I think Minion used to use a Hi-8 camera when he made the first I am Zombie Man.
    Close, but not quite.

"my NIGHTMARE" was shot with a Hi8 camera (ah, those were the days ) ... but IAZM was shot on my Canon MV700i 1-CCD miniDV camera (the last film to be shot on that camera, if memory serves, before I ponied up the cashola for my lush-as-fuck DVX100B )

I got by with that MV700i for a bit - I even had a couple of shorts made with it shown on television - but I quickly became limited by it (lack of options, inputs, visual quality etc) - but it was ideal for that stage in what I was up to.

Thus far the DVX100B is everything I could need - and I'll be shooting a black comedy with it this year with some local chaps (more news on that as-and-when ). Also shot an educational DVD with it last year too - currently on sale to the thus-far-recession-proof public sector. (But it's a damn useful film, even if I do say so myself, and it certainly went down well with the students we showed it to personally).

As for distributors, they're probably more fussed about it looking and sounding good - regardless of HD (it may be a bonus, but indeed, you won't get the full use out of it - and many don't at an indie level I'd say).

Good compositions, editing, production and colouring are all more likely to get a distributor wanting to pimp out your stuff. You can get a "film look" with SD and some good colouring (as well as a nice 2.35:1 ratio )

If 28 Days Later can be shot and released large scale from SD cameras, then so can anything else of quality I'd say.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    One thing with Video footage of any type, I have found that using 2.35:1 makes the projects feel more film like, something 1.85:1 just doesn't seem to capture.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, but just to add to DJ's comment on aspect ratio (although I'm sure he knows a lot more about this than me) - as a rule of thumb, choice of 1.85 or 2.35:1 depends on whether your movie is going to be using lots of deep panoramic shots or lots of close intimate character shots. It also depends on where you're shooting and the visuals of the location - for example, movies shot in LA are slightly more often shot on 2.35:1 to maximize the Southern California's more airy "hoizontal" look and feel, whereas movies shot in New York often use 1.85:1 to emphasise the claustaphobic, tall "vertical" style of the city. It depends what "look" you are trying to achieve - gritty and intimate, or sweeping and cinematic.

Although, as DJ said, a low budget movie can gain a lot from the added cinematic look that 2.35 gives.

Super Moderator

UK
    Indeed - hooray for 2.35:1 in indie filmmaking!

Now that 16x9 (a hair larger than 1.85:1, but essentially the same) is the default ratio for things these days - aka the "academy ratio" (which was once 4:3), I think it's gotta be 2.35:1 when making a film - like Deej said, it just has that "film look" about it - and it does indeed look far more impressive I think - something unlike the norm (which is now widescreen ... unless it's certain American television programming which is still, for some unfathomable reason, broadcast in 4:3).

I've done it myself on my own shorts - it looks alright in 16x9, but it looks a lot better in 2.35:1 - even in close ups, because it allows you to almost get closer than your camera's lens is capable of ... ... it feels more focussed, and basically just suggests "film" more than 16x9 does now because it's become the norm.

Slap some Magic Bullet on there, and you're golden.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    CONTEST UPDATE:

I have hammered out some details and mailed them off to the Neil, and the other judges. Once I get everyones buy in we can start very soon.

And don't worry member participation is one of the details i put in. So members will get to vote.

Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Interesting that I stumbled upon this. I will actually film my very own zombieshort come the end of the month. However, there are possibly two things that prevents me from joining this contest... :

The Movie will be a short film: No Longer than 5-10 minutes with credits.
    While it may be my goal to have it clock in around 10 minutes, if it goes into 11, or 12 minutes, I will not change it for this contests sake.

Your budget should not exceed $250.00 USD
    Our budget isn't calculated yet, but it may exceed 250 dollars by maybe 50 bucks or so. Which means it's disqualified, right?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Interesting that I stumbled upon this. I will actually film my very own zombieshort come the end of the month. However, there are possibly two things that prevents me from joining this contest... :

While it may be my goal to have it clock in around 10 minutes, if it goes into 11, or 12 minutes, I will not change it for this contests sake.

Our budget isn't calculated yet, but it may exceed 250 dollars by maybe 50 bucks or so. Which means it's disqualified, right?

I am not 100% on everything yet Ned, I maynot have a budget clause, because how can we prove what people spent?

However, the time limit is for us to keep the bandwitdh down in case the films are hosted on my site or Homepage, however, we maybe starting a You Tube Channel just for this... Gary
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    These days you can upload high def stuff on Youtube. My film will be shot either in HD or HDV, so maybe that works out.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    CONTEST UPDATE:

We now have a You Tube Channel. This is where the videos will be hosted.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZOMBIEFILMCONTEST

More Information coming this week.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Dj did you pick all your judges? I am not making a film and I have never made a film but I love the zombie films.
    But, if you need any help let me know.
    I don't know much about making films but I love watching them so, if you need help give me a pm.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Hi Debbie,

yes I did pick the judges, but you as a member still get to be a judge, HPOTD members will vote on the films as well.

Details to follow very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Yeah, but just to add to DJ's comment on aspect ratio (although I'm sure he knows a lot more about this than me) - as a rule of thumb, choice of 1.85 or 2.35:1 depends on whether your movie is going to be using lots of deep panoramic shots or lots of close intimate character shots. It also depends on where you're shooting and the visuals of the location - for example, movies shot in LA are slightly more often shot on 2.35:1 to maximize the Southern California's more airy "hoizontal" look and feel, whereas movies shot in New York often use 1.85:1 to emphasise the claustaphobic, tall "vertical" style of the city. It depends what "look" you are trying to achieve - gritty and intimate, or sweeping and cinematic.

Although, as DJ said, a low budget movie can gain a lot from the added cinematic look that 2.35 gives.
    I use 2.35:1 for everything. it is the only aspect ratio I enjoy and am comfortable with using. I tried to do 1.85:1, especially for Deadlands 2, but I just couldn't do it, I felt it needed to be 2.35:1. Well in this case 2.21:1, which is true cinemascope.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 03-Mar-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Cool Dj, this sounds like a very good competition everyone should take advantage of it.It will give people a chance to see the hard work you filmmakers go through making movies.
    I got the chance to watch another movie being made in our town "My Bloody Valentine" and wowww the work they were doing behind the scenes.
    I can only imagine the minute details that filmmakers have to go through just be on location. You should have seen all the trucks, lights, trailers, etc...
    I took pictures it was sooo cool, that gives me even more respect for anyone trying to do it
    I won't be contributing a film due the lack of resources, but, GOOD LUCK to all that enter the competition.
    I can't wait to see your films.
    Oh, and Dj if you need any kind of help just hollar.