Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where you are at the start

United States

Where you are at the start

I think that has A LOT to do with how well any of us would survive in a zombie apocalypse. Even our best laid plans depend (at least in part) where we are and who we are around when the poop first hits the fan. Just think about it. Who is to say we would be in our "ideal" place?

Being caught with our pants down could doom just about anyone, regardless of whatever plans, supplies, etc we have.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yep, absolutely!

Home turf is always going to be the safest place to be at first contact, even if you don't have a well-stocked or easily defensible house, it's the place you are most familiar with, it is where all your possessions are and where you are at the best advantage physically and psychologically. I think anyone who has imagined or planned for a crisis scenario has tended to base all their assumptions around being at home when the shit hit. But what if it happened when you're shopping? At work? Walking on a city street or in the countryside? Hell, what if you're out camping at a rock festival!?

United States
    I would most likely be here at home and my worry would be for my family. Different ones have to travel an hour to their work place.But, if something like the dead were to arise I am sure we all would have ample time to take action.
    Deadheads like us would know what to do and we would be able to get what was needed and do what we had to to stay safe. Atleast for a time.
    For me I would get a "heads up" cause I know quite a few people that work at our local hospital. My phone would be ringing off the hook if the dead started rising in the morgue. Again depending how it would go down. So, I would have some early warnings and would be able to get my family and me to swing into action.

Undisclosed

Good point but.......

Think about it I believe even if you are in your home turf, it's all about the individual reaction, you could be in your "home turf" and die just just as easy if you panic, which I think with most of us it would be the first reaction, some people get over panic real quick and others dont, I for one would be "Oh my God, Oh my God" and then it would be like "Oh hell no you ain't getting me" and do everything I can to get to my children, but some people dont get past the " oh my God " phase, so I would say it is not where you are is who you are.
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

United States
    Yeah, I agree. If I'm at home when it all comes down, I will have access to gear and supplies. Living in Los Angeles, lots of folks have a "bug out pack" of some sort, what with the fires, earthquakes and riots, etc., which of course doesn't help you if you are away from home and do not have access to it. I have a truncated bug out pack in the trunk of my car, minus firearms, so if I have to abandon my vehicle on the road I at least have that. But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Yeah, I agree. If I'm at home when it all comes down, I will have access to gear and supplies. Living in Los Angeles, lots of folks have a "bug out pack" of some sort, what with the fires, earthquakes and riots, etc., which of course doesn't help you if you are away from home and do not have access to it. I have a truncated bug out pack in the trunk of my car, minus firearms, so if I have to abandon my vehicle on the road I at least have that. But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.
    Here's an interesting question - if you were at work, the dead started to walk and you found yourself faced with 20-or-so lurching zombies all wanting to tear you to shreds, would you immediately bug out and run home, or would you feel obliged to do your part for the fight against undead multiplication by eliminating them or sealing them off from the world in some way (e.g. barribcading them inside)?

Undisclosed

Whoa

But since I work at a mortuary, I think if the dead start to walk I will be pretty much screwed as I will be at the epicenter of some real heavy shit.
    That's wild. Not your everyday job, but its actually kind of cool in a way. But to be honest, if I were you, brother, I would get out of there as fast as humanly possible when the stuff starts happening. Even after a couple of reported incidents, I'd probably flee, actually.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Here's an interesting question - if you were at work, the dead started to walk and you found yourself faced with 20-or-so lurching zombies all wanting to tear you to shreds, would you immediately bug out and run home, or would you feel obliged to do your part for the fight against undead multiplication by eliminating them or sealing them off from the world in some way (e.g. barribcading them inside)?
    I like to think that I would do my best to barricade the ghouls inside of the building, but if that was going to expose me to too much risk, I would likely turn my thoughts to getting home as soon as possible to defend my family. I would, however, place a 911 call informing local PD of the numerous ghouls inside of the mortuary - though at that point I think their resources might be stretched too thin to worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sammylou View Post
    That's wild. Not your everyday job, but its actually kind of cool in a way. But to be honest, if I were you, brother, I would get out of there as fast as humanly possible when the stuff starts happening. Even after a couple of reported incidents, I'd probably flee, actually.
    Like I said in the other response, I like to think that I would have the balls to barricade the zombies inside, but I think that self-preservation would take over and I would have to jet.

It was mentioned once before that mortuary folks like me would probably be the first to go, since we would likely just stand there staring in awe at the ghouls as they got up off the gurneys. But being the romero head that I am, I think I would snap out of it quickly and likely would run away.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 02-Mar-2009 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    I work at a university with huge limestone buildings with six inch thick wooden doors. I would hole up and live off coke zero and skittles from the vending machines!

United States
    yojimbo think of it this way tho, you would be one of the first to know so, you would be able to get home and prepare.
    I wouldnt stick around that place when the zombies start walking around, who says they could get out of the doors?
    Me, I would just let my coworkers know, call 911 as you said and hightail it home.
    Warn as many people as you can along the way.
    In something like that something like that is gonna spread like wildfire.
    So, I say get your butt home with your family.

Super Moderator

United States
    Were I at home I'd probably be in trouble, but it might be correctable by getting out when early signs become apparent or if the outbreak is slow/controllable to some extent.

Were I at work and even a modest outbreak scenario 'hit the presses', I could be seriously, seriously screwed (I work in Manhattan ).

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I just got back from Orlando Florida on vacation with my Daughter. While I was down there walking around Disney it struck me that with all the thousands of people in such a small area it would be a nightmare if there was an outbreak. First of all getting out of some of those places is a nightmare.

Like Disney does a good job at getting you in, but waiting in queue for the ferry to take you to the other side is a nightmare and you have a massive rush for a narrow gangplank. Really poorly designed if you ask me, and seriously out dated.

Then the tram. Is it automatic or human controlled? I don't know.

So many people, no vehicles of note, packed spaces, no visible buildings you could fortify (the employees might have an idea, like somewhere in the tunnels beneath Disney). I really thought we were doomed if the dead walked.

So much ground to cover, no weapons, no transport, a crush of other people, far too few armed security forces.

It would make for an interesting story perhaps, with some great visuals, but I just am not sure how one would survive short of dumb luck and great charisma gathering a bunch of other park goers together and getting them to work together like a team.

Banned
    Banned User

United States
    Disney World? I been there. Agreed, undead deathtrap for sure. And by deathtrap, I mean the humans... live ones who would be doing the dying. And that's about all you could do in such an environment. I'm depressed now.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by blind2d View Post
    Disney World? I been there. Agreed, undead deathtrap for sure.
    And don't forget it's a cash trap too

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Yikes, I guess i would be lucky if it happens when I am at work, I work in a senior citizen recreational center, plenty of food, roll up gates, lots of rooms, security cameras in and out, come to think about I would head that way when it starts
    It's not what you say, it's how you say it.