Thread: Need your help picking out a new computer...

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Need your help picking out a new computer...

So my computer is starting to go on me (and I'm somewhat happy because it SUCKS). I am looking to buy an AFFORDABLE computer that can still handle editing using Adobe Premier Pro. By affordable I mean ideally under $400. I'll go a little over if it's really worth it. I'm a college student so money is rough...

So what would you guys recommend as the best computer for my buck???

EDIT: I also read in many reviews that a 64-bit operating system is a HUGE pain in the ass to work with... so something preferably without that.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 12-Mar-2009 at 02:49 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    try and get a decent student deal on a Mac, i got one for £1400, when it should have been a few hundreds the other side of 2 grand, and they should be cheaper now, its only been a year and ive seen some stores selling the same model as mine for £700.

*runs for cover*

-oh, and i got the whole cs3 mastersuite thingymabastard off adobe, sent them proof i was a student on got an insane discount on the whole deal, but yeah pro works like a dream on even my older mac from a generation or two back.

long as i dont connect it to a network like the uni ones, slow pieces of crap... *leaves the room grumbling about shitty networks*
    Last edited by Danny; 12-Mar-2009 at 03:53 AM.

United States
    Jesus Hellz. . . .you have too damn much money for someone that works for McDonalds. How many bags you sling a day?
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Jesus Hellz. . . .you have too damn much money for someone that works for McDonalds. How many bags you sling a day?
    funny thing, were in a recession right now, but the lunchtime take the other day was SIX FUCKING GRAND!, over one lunch period. the owner must be retarded with his money.

-but no, i spent my student loan last year on a mac and the mastersuit, figured id get something which would last me into the start of an actual filmmaking career yknow?, not like one guy who spent it all on booze and a ticket to australia and got turned around at the airport and came home to find he was expelled.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    try and get a decent student deal on a Mac, i got one for £1400, when it should have been a few hundreds the other side of 2 grand,
    Having a Mac is a dream of mine. But they are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY out of my price range, dude.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/04/14/psystar-mac/

googled $400 mac and found this.

Undisclosed
    You need an updated MS Office, too. Easier for me to correct your papers. Get the cheaper student edition, since you are a college student.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Fuck overpriced MS Office, download OpenOffice - it's a free, fully featured open source Office suite that is almost 100% compatible with MS Office (as long as you pay attention to what file format you're saving as).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/04/14/psystar-mac/

googled $400 mac and found this.
    Not too sure how much I trust them. This is the first time I've heard of that. Plus, I can't find any "official" website. Thanks, though, I'll continue researching that.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly13 View Post
    You need an updated MS Office, too. Easier for me to correct your papers. Get the cheaper student edition, since you are a college student.
    Thanks dude, but I am pretty sure your virtues may no longer be needed. Since the last time you helped me out, I've been getting good grades on my papers. You did teach me something and I thank you, sir!

Anyway... COME ON GUYS! I know some of you are big computer nerds and know exactly what I should get! I've been looking at this bad boy; I can't believe you can now get such a powerful computer for that price (well powerful compared to computers at that price even a mere 2 years ago): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218057725408

I was also looking at this one (comes with a 640GB HD ?!?!?!) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218044490195, but it's 64-bit OS and, like I said, reviews have warned me to stay away from a 64-bit OS.
    Last edited by MikePizzoff; 12-Mar-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by MikePizzoff View Post
    Anyway... COME ON GUYS! I know some of you are big computer nerds and know exactly what I should get! I've been looking at this bad boy; I can't believe you can now get such a powerful computer for that price (well powerful compared to computers at that price even a mere 2 years ago): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218057725408
    That's pretty decent for the price, and 3GB is a more than decent-sized helping of RAM. However, considering your purposes, there are two major considerations/drawbacks to that system:

1) The processor is not particularly powerful by today's standards, but is more than adequate for day-to-day tasks and even mid-level gaming. HOWEVER, video editing is one task that continues to challenge modern processors, and with new versions of video editing software the hardware requirements are still being pushed upwards, so you might want to consider looking for something with a little more power. It might be enough to be soldiering on with for now though, as long as you accept that you're gonna have to face the technical challenge of upgrading the processor somewhere down the line (it's really not that difficult).

2) On-board video chipsets (i.e. video cards built into the motherboard), particularly Intel ones, are notoriously lightweight and crap. If you are planning on dealing with lots of video at speeds that won't make you tear your hair out, you'll want to upgrade that to a decent standalone video card with plenty of video RAM. Some el cheapo rigs like that use super-crappy motherboards which lack the necessary slots for upgrading, thankfully the system you're looking at DOES have a free PCI-Express slot, so upgrading won't be a problem provided the PSU - the power supply box inside the case - is up to the task (depends on the model of video card and its power consumption).

If you were in the UK, I'd be able to quote you a rough price as to what all these extras would cost, but I have no idea of American pricing in terms of what's a good deal, so I'll let someone who knows what they're talking about cover that ground.

I was also looking at this one (comes with a 640GB HD ?!?!?!) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218044490195, but it's 64-bit OS and, like I said, reviews have warned me to stay away from a 64-bit OS.
    A note on 64-bit OSes: There are some compatibility issues with them and some programs, BUT here's a major reason you might want to consider getting one: 32-bit versions of Windows can only address a maximum of 4 GB of memory, including video memory and whatnot.

Here's what this means in practice: e.g. if you install 4 GB of RAM and a 512MB graphics card, the computer will only recognise and use the graphics memory and 3.5 GB of the regular RAM (= a TOTAL of 4GB). Even if you stuck 16GB of RAM into that mofo, it would still only recognise 3.5 GB of regular RAM.

On the other hand 64-bit Operating Systems have no such limitation, the only real limit is how much RAM your motherboard can handle (usually 16GB on low-to-mid level systems).

Now, video editing uses shitloads of RAM, so the more the better if you're looking for good performance. A couple of years down the line, when editing software has moved on and is eating more resources than ever, being stuck with 3.5 GB of RAM is going to become a real issue.

If I was you, I'd go with the 64-bit OS as an investment.

Just don't come blaming me if you have problems.

EDIT: Just noticed that one the first computer (and probably the second too), there's only a 220 watt power supply. That's bad. Real bad. And it's not a standard ATX power supply, it's a custom Acer one. Which means replacing it with a better one is gonna be a nightmare.
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 12-Mar-2009 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    For Adobe I'd get a Core2Duo processor instead of a Dual core.

Start watching the website http://www.slickdeals.net for a Dell Vostro 220 deal. Should be able to get a desktop Core 2 Duo processor, Windows Vista, with a flat screen monitor for around $400-450 delivered.

Make sure to order the mini tower form factor instead of the slimline case.

These ship with integrated Intel video, so budget an extra 50-100 bucks for a dedicated ATI or NVIDIA video card.

Beware the beast, man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.
    - 23rd Sacred Scroll, 6th verse

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I use Premier Pro 7, so it's not as demanding as what they have out today. Do you guys really think it wouldn't run that well on one of the computers I listed?

Scotland
    I use Premier Pro 7, so it's not as demanding as what they have out today. Do you guys really think it wouldn't run that well on one of the computers I listed?
    It would run, but you'd really be cutting it pretty close to acceptable limit. As I said though, the bigger issue with those machines is that they're put together with ultra cheap components with little room for upgrades which could, in time, make them a bit of a liability. If I was you, and if I had the time, I'd seriously consider looking into building my own PC from scratch - it can work out pretty cheap, you can shop around for different components, and you then will have the knowledge to do your own upgrades (if you already don't) which will save you cash in the long run.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    It would run, but you'd really be cutting it pretty close to acceptable limit. As I said though, the bigger issue with those machines is that they're put together with ultra cheap components with little room for upgrades which could, in time, make them a bit of a liability. If I was you, and if I had the time, I'd seriously consider looking into building my own PC from scratch - it can work out pretty cheap, you can shop around for different components, and you then will have the knowledge to do your own upgrades (if you already don't) which will save you cash in the long run.
    I did that once before and I immediately had my video card burn out on me, and I didn't have it under warranty. So I had to get a new card. Then something else went wrong. Then like 1.5 years later the MoBo died. So I was just like "fuck it" because it was a pain in the ass getting all the stuff/waiting for places to ship me the parts, etc, only to have it go to shit on me faster than any factory-built PC I've bought.

I'm either not cut out to build my own PC, or I just had really shitty luck.