Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: HPotD - Short Zombie Film Contest - OFFICIAL THREAD

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
    Well DJ, to be fair here, I think the biggest problem is that the overall prize wasn't enticing enough. If you're on this board then chances are highly likely that you already own the entire living dead series. And aside from having overall better quality and some little nooks and crannies, the BLU-RAY versions of Romero's movies are really no different then your standard editions. Not only that, but I think it's fair to assume that not everyone owns a Blu Ray player. Next time around, if you're up for it, you should post this idea on some of the other related horror and zombie forums you're apart of (perhaps you did this already, I'm not sure).

Frankly the draw of most online short films contests are the promise of money, distribution, being on a DVD, meeting a film maker etc.

Now, this is not a put down in any way of your original intentions. I appreciate (as I'm sure others do) your willingness to want to get other people to get off their ass and make a movie. But more than a few of us on this board already have a hefty amount of shorts and such kicking under our belts. Regardless it would have been neat to see what some people could have come up with.

However, kudos to you though, you prompted a couple of us to just go forward and make a feature. Of which I'm sure will grant you a "Special Thanks" in the credits. So this initial concept of yours did succeed in some form or fashion. Thank you for planting the seed and continuing your support of independent cinema.
    My intention was to get everyone who has talked about making a film to go out there and make one, finally. I wanted to get people excited and get them jumped into the process, but I don't know if I will be able to coordinate another one as I go into pre-production on Deadlands 3 this fall.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Shame, hopefully some people will turn in some shorts. I'm in prepro for a hopefully fall shoot so I didn't have time to crank out something.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I probably won't have it in on time, which blows. My video clips in Sony Vegas retain their audio, but the picture is just black. Plus my director walked out becuase he thought that someone who was bit by a zombie can just die if it's convinient, and when everyone told him that that didn't make sense he said he "felt that his creative control had be compromised" argh.... Directors... I'll try to get it together, but it probably won't happen. In hindsight, that was a terrible way to waste $80...
    Last edited by Captain_Amazing; 16-Jun-2009 at 05:01 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Amazing View Post
    I probably won't have it in on time, which blows. My video clips in Sony Vegas retain their audio, but the picture is just black. Plus my director walked out becuase he thought that someone who was bit by a zombie can just die if it's convinient, and when everyone told him that that didn't make sense he said he "felt that his creative control had be compromised" argh.... Directors... I'll try to get it together, but it probably won't happen. In hindsight, that was a terrible way to waste $80...
    Are you sure you don't accidentally have the video track set to a compositing mode, rather than "source alpha"?

It's one of the buttons on the left side of the screen which has some buttons and twiddly bits for each video track.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Unfortunately I do have it set to "Source Code Alpha". This is apparently a common problem on 64 bit computers running Vegas, and yet I can't seem to find help on using Google

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Amazing View Post
    Unfortunately I do have it set to "Source Code Alpha". This is apparently a common problem on 64 bit computers running Vegas, and yet I can't seem to find help on using Google
    64bit eh?

Which version are you using of Vegas? A newer Version would help perhaps - try Googling up info on "Sony Vegas 64bit version compatible" or something along those lines.

I recently got a new rig, but stuck to 32bit to avoid any potential problems with my most commonly used softwares (which aren't 64bit compatible, my versions at least, I'm too lazy and stubborn to upgrade ).

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I'm using Vegas Pro 8.0

I'm seriously considering downgrading to 32Bit... I've had a lot of problems with 64 bit... then again it could be my camera because this has happened when I was using XP. But that doesn't make much sense because I can still view the unedited clips fine... *sigh* I am using the Windows 7 beta so I'm not sure if this is a OS error, but I doubt it.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Vegas 8 has not been confirmed for Windows 7. I use Vegas 8 as well, and it is buggy for Windows 7 you should go back to XP and re-edit and render from there.

Just save your vegas save file so you can bring your files back up in the editor once you re-install.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Yeah I'm getting a laptop soon, so I'll just edit on there. I really like Windows 7, but it is a beta so I knew problems might come up.

Just been bitten

Undisclosed
    Hmm, I'm using the 64bit version of Vegas on Vista 64 and I've had no problems. It's much faster than the 32bit version when working with HD video.

Undisclosed
    Maybe we should have a contest for the features that came out of this contest... haha

Speaking of, a sneak peak at what's to come for the website for my feature that spawned from this contest is up, twitter is up, and the first 2 posters are ready. Please have a look and gimme some feedback please.

www.hellonearthmovie.com
    www.twitter.com/zombiemovie

Here's a poster and another one can be found under the promo section on the site:

Last edited by kchertu; 23-Jun-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I'd like to point out that I DID get my zombie short done, but it is longer than 10 minutes. It's 15, so it's therefore disqualified.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed

Film contest

I have a 30 minute short..www.youtube.com/user/fallendogfilms

its called "feeding harry"..if you would like to check it out.