Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Indeed, but he does what he does well - I am indeed a fan of his flicks.
    Oh, as do I, especially Clerks and Chasing Amy. But for me Smith's talents specifically lie in his dialogue - his direction is pretty much bog standard modern American Pie-esque style.

Don't agree whatsoever. Yawn04 is still pure rape, and the film itself still has 110 things wrong with it in 110 minutes. Regardless of being called Dawn of the Dead, it's fucking atrocious and it can tongue the droppings of a grizzly bear for all I care.
    Quite agreed, I got a better kick out of ABBBOOOTTT HAAAYYYEEESSS than any one single character in that dirty smelly arse bandit of a movie.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post

Quite agreed, I got a better kick out of ABBBOOOTTT HAAAYYYEEESSS than any one single character in that dirty smelly arse bandit of a movie.

Capn, don't make me have to lose all credability in you with a comment like that, seriously, even if you hate DAWN 04 it has many more re-deeming qualities than Children of the Living Dead... although COTLD did have that LOL scene where the truck plunges over the cliff.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

capncnut
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Capn, don't make me have to lose all credability in you with a comment like that, seriously, even if you hate DAWN 04 it has many more re-deeming qualities than Children of the Living Dead... although COTLD did have that LOL scene where the truck plunges over the cliff.
    I hate to disappoint you but the first ten minutes of COTLD (even with Savini Popeye-isms) SHATS on Corn 04.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Well SAVINI's 2 minute cameo in YAWN 04 shits all over that 10 mins of COTLD.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

United States
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Gary here. COTLD is a godawful piece of trash. There is no way that you could compare that crapfest favorably to Dawn '04. Come on.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    This reminds me of a time when I visited the HPotD forums before CotlD had been released and everyone was flipping out over those promo shots of Savini in zombie-killer mode and everyone thought it was going to kick ass..

...then the DVD came out and... uhh... yeah

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    This reminds me of a time when I visited the HPotD forums before CotlD had been released and everyone was flipping out over those promo shots of Savini in zombie-killer mode and everyone thought it was going to kick ass..

...then the DVD came out and... uhh... yeah
    Yeah...thing that sucks is that, from my understanding, if they had stuck to Russo's original script, it would have been pretty sweet. IIRC COTLD was his second attempt to translate his "Return of the Living Dead" novel (which was a straight sequel to NOTLD) to the screen (the FIRST attempt was ROTLD which was purchased just to secure the rights to the title)

The final version bears almost NO resemblance to the novel, except the concept of the bus crash kicking the plague off again.

Russo gets a lot of crap for this one, but (unlike NOTLD 30th) the blame can rest on Joseph Wolfe (producer), who gave his daughter Karen L. Wolfe free reign to rewrite the script (if you want to call the shit storm that resulted "written")

I remember in the credits the bold statement "Abbot Hayes created by Karen L. Wolfe)...honey, that's nothing to be proud of....

The wikipedia article had this to say:

"After the screening the Directors Cut of the film (Tor Ramsey), Karen L Wolf took the film away from Ramsey, hired a new editor and even looped many lines in order to restore her original script, which had been changed considerably for clarity.

The Director, Tor Ramsey once offered a written apology to those who "wasted 90 minutes of their life" watching the film."

Ah what might have been...a decent low budget, but honest, zed flick, insted turned into this...

He MIGHT have one last shot at redemption: he has a flick listed in pre-production "Escape of the Living Dead" that is supposed to star Tony Todd, Kane Hodder, Gunner Hanson, & Steve Railsback. I ain't holdin' my breath, nut we'll see. He's directing as well, so if it DOES suck, then he can take the FULL hit on that one.
    Last edited by MoonSylver; 03-Apr-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Yeah, I gotta agree with Gary here. COTLD is a godawful piece of trash. There is no way that you could compare that crapfest favorably to Dawn '04. Come on.

LMAO, Dude the Universal Logo opening DAWN 04 shits all over the entire running time of COTLD.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Super Moderator

UK
    I believe there's that article here on HPOTD where Tor Ramsey appologises for COTLD. Good on him for rinsing that turd festival.

I hope his new film goes well, because it certainly sounds like he got utterly shafted on COTLD by that moron Wolfe.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I remember reading that a long time ago. Sounds like that movie was one giant headache.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Administrator

England
    I believe there's that article here on HPOTD where Tor Ramsey appologises for COTLD. Good on him for rinsing that turd festival.
    http://www.homepageofthedead.com/baps/cotld_email.html
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    Yeah COTLD was bad...so bad....

dawn 04 was much better and more watchable - I got twenty mins into COTLD but managed to stay to the end of Yawn - so it says a lot.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

United States
    I'm not a big ol fan of Yawn '04. But I gotta say, if it's on I'll watch it. If I'm just flipping through the channels looking to mindlessly while away an hour it's premium entertainment. Especially near the opening when they're first getting the situation in hand.

Which is interesting because I would no more put in my Yawn '04 DVD than Barney the dinosaur. I never *want* to watch it, but I end up watching it a lot nonetheless.

The big question I have is why does Yawn '04 run 20 times a month when I have yet to see Bland of the Dead run once on TV? I might like Land more if it were on now and then and I got sucked into watching it during those mindless TV times.

Both movies have something in common - don't think too much and they're pretty good.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Land was on tv alot a few years back. On HBO or one of those movie channels. Lately i've seen it on TNT and TBS a few times.

I get a big laugh out of the fact that Dawn04 plays on Starz Black almost everyday....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Land runs a lot on Cinemax. Watched it on TBS or TNT one night, too funny with how much editing they did to it.

Return of the Living Dead 4 & 5 runs more of Sci-Fi than LAND or DAWN runs on other cable channels.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!