Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

United States
    was listening to the commentaries by matt stone and trey parker for south park's 11th season, and on the "night of the living homeless" episode's commentary, they discuss how much they liked dawn 04. so you can add them to the list, dj. like trin, trey parker said that anytime he's flipping channels and comes across it, no matter where it's at in the film, he just sits back and watches it. the same goes for me, too.

i saw the dawn remake in theaters on opening day after a ten-mile hike that morning with my battalion. two of my buddies went and we had a blast. i wasn't expecting much, having seen links from HPOD before i even considered posting here, i knew it was gonna be totally different and would fail to live up to the original, so i just shut my mind off and sat down. and yeah, although it's name-rape and should totally be called something else, and running zombies are pretty silly, i think it's better than land, diary, 28days/weeks, or about any other zombie film released since night 1990 or the original romero trilogy (with exception to shaun of the dead, of course).

wonder how army of the dead will turn out? probably better than romero's untitled project but not as good as world war z.
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 03-Apr-2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    You know what? I actually kinda found this site indirectly because of Dawn 04. There was that Universal run hype site for that movie, which then also ran the hype site for Land, which is where I got the link for this site. So there
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    yeah, I too wished it was names something else but when compared to all the other remakes that are out there it is actually pretty good. I'm not going to lie when i read about the zombie running oh so long ago I nearly stuck my head in a running blender. I remember them saying...don't worry kids he directed Scooby Doo, and that when i switched the setting to puree. Then I saw it and it wasn't all that bad. It had a good cast of actors, ones that could actually act and help people take a zombie movie serious. I forgave Mr. Zach for the running zombies because the movie was entertaining and full of action and had a group of characters you cared about and it didn't have glowing blue penis in it...that i can't forgive
    "Are you asking me if I think you're pretty or if I'll f*** you? Cause you don't have to be pretty for me to f*** you"

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Name rape or not, DAWN 04 is a good zombie film. I still like the original over the remake, but DAWN 04 rocks.

I like 28 Days Later a lot, 28 weeks not so much. 28 Days later reminded me a lot of DAWn & DAY.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartma7546 View Post
    yeah, I too wished it was named something else but when compared to all the other remakes that are out there it is actually pretty good.
    Definitely. There will be a lot of people around here who might take issue with what you say about the cast, but I think the overall effect was pretty solid. There were some big ol' plot holes in the film, but I thought the movie was good fun. Of course, I actually think Dawn '04 is better than Diary (which I didn't like) and Land(that I enjoyed, despite rolling my eyes and cringing a few times when I watch it) myself from an entertainment perspective.

and it didn't have glowing blue penis in it...that i can't forgive

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    And it's a shame because that movie pretty much killed Ramsey's career. In the nine years since he shot CotLD, he's directed one (1) homemade short film starring two of his friends. From what I hear, his movie Urban Mythology, shot the year before Children, was actually very good and the guy showed a lot of promise. It's a shame Karen Wolfe pissed all over his life.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Kevin Smith hasn't made a good film in over 9 years. And of course he'll like the remake, because it's ten times better than all the films he's released since 1999. (Not saying much, by the way)

Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, as well as Clerks 2, are two of the worst letdowns in cinematic history. I'm surprised there are people here who dare insult GAR over Land and Diary, yet praise this guy? Now THAT, my friends, is not right.

I don't give a shit what Kevin Smith thinks is "pimp". The only thing that's "pimp" about Kevin Smith is his beard... Which is nowadays dipped in poo.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Kevin Smith hasn't made a good film in over 9 years. .
    OPINION!!!!!!!!

I quite loved Zack and Miri. Funniest movie I've seen in ages. \

As a matter of fact. . the only Smith movie I can think of right now that I don't like very much is Jersey Girl. . and even that one I didn't hate. Hmmmmmm. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    OPINION!!!!!!!!

I quite loved Zack and Miri. Funniest movie I've seen in ages. \

As a matter of fact. . the only Smith movie I can think of right now that I don't like very much is Jersey Girl. . and even that one I didn't hate. Hmmmmmm. . . .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    OPINION!!!!!!!!
    Amen, it is an opinion. As it is with anyone who hates Uwe Bolls film.

Administrator

England
    Escape From New York was such a film of its time - Cold war, end of the world any minute, dark horrible times... Would be quite something to make a remake bleak and believable enough without dumming it down for the MTV kids....
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I wasn't a fan of Jersey Girl at first, but now I think it's quite good. In fact, I just recently caught it on IFC and I loved it. I don't know if becoming a father had anything to do with the change of heart, but I thought it was touching this time around.

As for his other films.....Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Clerks 2 are all great, imo. Mallrats and J&SBSB are just stupid. But in a tolerable and sometimes mindless entertaining way...if that makes sense.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I wasn't a fan of Jersey Girl at first, but now I think it's quite good. In fact, I just recently caught it on IFC and I loved it. I don't know if becoming a father had anything to do with the change of heart, but I thought it was touching this time around.
    This is the first thing I thought when I read your second sentence. "Well, Bassman is a dad now and that changes perspectives for people."

As for his other films.....Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma, and Clerks 2 are all great, imo. Mallrats and J&SBSB are just stupid. But in a tolerable and sometimes mindless entertaining way...if that makes sense.
    I pretty much agree that Clerks and Chasing Amy are strong, but I still really enjoy Clerks 2, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Mallrats, though it always seemed clear to me that KS stopped progressing in any meaningful manner as a film maker after Chasing Amy, IMHO.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    though it always seemed clear to me that KS stopped progressing in any meaningful manner as a film maker after Chasing Amy, IMHO.

I don't know if you could say he didn't progress. He went on to make Dogma which was epic compared to what he had previously done. He also started giving his films more heart while still maintaining the comedy.(Jersey, Clerks 2, Zack &...). So I think he's grown a bit. Even if just a little.
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Apr-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    I never really dug Dogma all that much. A great premise, but to me it was always something that hinted at its own possibilities with bits of coolness here and there but ultimately failed to deliver. In the end, it always seemed like Smith came up with a great idea he couldn't properly see through to completion, as it failed to be very entertaining throughout for me and was wiltingly simplistic where it seemed like he wanted it to be somehow thought provokingly funny. *Shrug* Again, just my opinion on it.

When you say epic, do you mean in terms of subject matter or production or something else entirely? I can see how Smith was probably forced to up his game with some more complex shots, more sets, larger scenes and--I think--a pretty damned huge cast, so that would be a fair point I'd agree on.

And, perhaps unfairly, I keep discounting Zack & Miri..., because I keep forgetting about it and have yet to see it. With regards to Clerks 2, again, I'll say I really liked it, but it just seemed ground he'd already covered.