Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yeah...I meant Dogma was epic in size compared to the previous films.

As for Clerks 2 covering familiar ground....of course it's familiar. It's catching up with the characters 10 years on. I thought it was great. Perfect ending to bring the characters of Dante and Randall to a close(for awhile, anyway).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    You know what? I actually kinda found this site indirectly because of Dawn 04. There was that Universal run hype site for that movie, which then also ran the hype site for Land, which is where I got the link for this site. So there

And we thank our lucky starts every night for that (atleast I do)

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    i saw the dawn remake in theaters on opening day after a ten-mile hike that morning with my battalion. two of my buddies went and we had a blast. i wasn't expecting much, having seen links from HPOD before i even considered posting here, i knew it was gonna be totally different and would fail to live up to the original, so i just shut my mind off and sat down. and yeah, although it's name-rape and should totally be called something else, and running zombies are pretty silly, i think it's better than land, diary, 28days/weeks, or about any other zombie film released since night 1990 or the original romero trilogy (with exception to shaun of the dead, of course).

I've been making that case here for years. People want to shit all over land but outside of the Romero films they can't name me 5 consensus picks of films that are better. Until that happens their arguments ring pretty hollow.

I sometimes think that by diminishing Dawn 04' that they somehow make themselves feel better about the quality of land.

Think about this though. Even if we conceed that land is the better film (which we are not by the way) Dawn 04' is still better than 98% of the zombie films ever made. The only 2 non Romero films that could be viewed as better is Shaun (definitely0 and ROTLD (arguably), imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartma7546 View Post
    yeah, I too wished it was names something else but when compared to all the other remakes that are out there it is actually pretty good. I'm not going to lie when i read about the zombie running oh so long ago I nearly stuck my head in a running blender. I remember them saying...don't worry kids he directed Scooby Doo, and that when i switched the setting to puree. Then I saw it and it wasn't all that bad. It had a good cast of actors, ones that could actually act and help people take a zombie movie serious. I forgave Mr. Zach for the running zombies because the movie was entertaining and full of action and had a group of characters you cared about and it didn't have glowing blue penis in it...that i can't forgive

I thought the acting was pretty solid. At no point did I ever think, "wow that's bad". Were there some cringe inducing moments? Sure. I could have done without the baby myself, but the man tried something different, he went for it. Heaven's forbid right? I know, it would be much better if he just stayed with the same old stale ideas. Or if he just did a frame by frame remake of the original. Then we would have killed him for ripping GAR off outright.

And as we all know that's Russo and Rubenstein's job.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    And we thank our lucky starts every night for that (atleast I do)
    :
    Awwwww

Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I never really dug Dogma all that much. A great premise, but to me it was always something that hinted at its own possibilities with bits of coolness here and there but ultimately failed to deliver. In the end, it always seemed like Smith came up with a great idea he couldn't properly see through to completion, as it failed to be very entertaining throughout for me and was wiltingly simplistic where it seemed like he wanted it to be somehow thought provokingly funny. *Shrug* Again, just my opinion on it.
    My main problem with Dogma was with Linda Fiorentino. . . the woman can't act. Plain and simple. She is one of the worst actresses out there. Sure she's pretty and all. But when she "acts", she appears like she's acting like she's acting. Just bland, boring and flat, but with the little eye movements and hand gestures to indicate that she is now acting. . . . . . .I don't like her. She reminds me of Macaulay Culkin. I always joked that every line that kid delivered was in the same cadence. Ah-hun-ni-nah-hun-ni-nah-hun.
    Last edited by clanglee; 07-Apr-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Awwwww

My main problem with Dogma was with Linda Fiorentino. . . the woman can't act. Plain and simple. She is one of the worst actresses out there. Sure she's pretty and all. But when she "acts", she appears like she's acting like she's acting. Just bland, boring and flat, but with the little eye movements and hand gestures to indicate that she is now acting. . . . . . .I don't like her. She reminds me of Macaulay Culkin. I always joked that every line that kid delivered was in the same cadence. Ah-hun-ni-nah-hun-ni-nah-hun.

I thought she came off as reluctantly playing the role rivaled only by her character's reluctance to accept the boon that she was given. Kind of like she did it for a paycheck.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Awwwww

Watch it, Clang! You're talking about a (former) arch-femme fatale and a key player in that 80s cold war classic: Gotcha

Okay, maybe you have a point.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Watch it, Clang! You're talking about a (former) arch-femme fatale and a key player in that 80s cold war classic: Gotcha

Like I said. .she's hot. . . but an awful actress. What was that movie where she is screwing the ginger top from NYPD Blue? Caruso?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Just watched that classic last night. Gotcha is one of my favorite 80's flicks
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Just watched that classic last night. Gotcha is one of my favorite 80's flicks
    DJ, was it on cable or do you have it on DVD/Blu-ray? I watched that movie countless time when I was growing up and always enjoyed it. Now, I want to own it...damn...

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Anthony Edwards right?

The 80's movies that I haven't seen in a long long time that I would like to own are Cloak and Dagger and Wargames. Used to LOVE those movies.

Super Moderator

United States
    Anthony Edwards right?

The 80's movies that I haven't seen in a long long time that I would like to own are Cloak and Dagger and Wargames. Used to LOVE those movies.
    As a roleplayer from my early years, Cloak and Dagger was a instant classic with me, as a kid. I saw Wargames on basic cable recently, I was shocked to realize that one of the missile jockeys at the beginning (the one who pulls the gun on the guy who doesn't want to turn his missile) is none other than a young Michael Madsen. Anyway, it's been making the rounds on basic cable the last year on a semi-regular basis.

And yes, Anthony Edwards (with hair!!!), was the protag in Gotcha.

Like I said. .she's hot. . . but an awful actress. What was that movie where she is screwing the ginger top from NYPD Blue? Caruso?
    Jade, IIRC.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 07-Apr-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    DJ, was it on cable or do you have it on DVD/Blu-ray? I watched that movie countless time when I was growing up and always enjoyed it. Now, I want to own it...damn...
    TWAS on HDNET through FIOS

However, i think it is out on DVD, but I recorded it to myDVR, so now I have an HD version.

Love that movie, that and Miracle Mile are my two favorite Anthony Edwards 80's flicks.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Dawn '04 had an uphill battle trying to gain widespread popularity amongst the GAR fans.

You name anything "Dawn of the Dead" and it's name rape. The hardcore fans are predisposed to hate it. No matter how creative and talented you are you will always be cast in the role of usurping another's success for your own gain.

Likewise, you make a movie named something different that portrays people taking refuge in a mall from zombies and it's, "Oh, geez, this is a ripoff of Dawn."

My personal opinion is that naming it Dawn of the Dead is the only choice. It acknowledges that, yes, this is a movie influenced, drawn from, and spun from the classic. It looks the problem in the eye and takes the lumps for being name rape.

I did think the acting in Dawn '04 was good.

I cannot argue that Dawn '04, good or bad, was better than 99% of the non-GAR zombie movies.

Super Moderator

UK
    You name anything "Dawn of the Dead" and it's name rape.
    This rebuttal always irks me - while it is somewhat true - that's not the basis of the anti-Yawn hatred. For me at least, there's 110 reasons in 110 minutes why it sucks "teh ballz" like a fevered whore.

Regardless of name, it's a terrible movie in my opinion - same as that Day of the Dead 'remake' (often referred to as RIMO - Remake In Name Only) ... but again, a terrible movie of epic proportions. I listed my reasons for that being utter turd wash as well.

Zombi 2, Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2, Undead, Braindead (if you consider it a zombie-zombie movie), Living Dead At Manchester Morgue are but six zed-flicks which kick Yawn04's whore-ass up and down jump street.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This rebuttal always irks me - while it is somewhat true - that's not the basis of the anti-Yawn hatred. For me at least, there's 110 reasons in 110 minutes why it sucks "teh ballz" like a fevered whore.
    I'm no fan of the whole name-rape argument either. The man was making a remake. To name it something else would just cause fans to think he was trying to be original when he was not and that would've gotten the fans even more predisposed to hate it. The big problem for Dawn '04 is that Dawn '78 was one of the greatest horror movies of all time. Those are pretty big shoes to fill when all you bring to the table is special effects and a zombie baby.

My personal opinion is that ROTLD 1 & 2 (and 3, 4, 5) were all crap. I cannot stand to watch them.

Long story short - I'm no huge fan of Dawn '04. But I believe that weighed solely on its own merits it is watchable. Weighed against all the non-GAR zombie movies out there it does well. Weighed against its namesake it is a turd.
    Last edited by Trin; 08-Apr-2009 at 02:48 PM.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    This rebuttal always irks me - while it is somewhat true - that's not the basis of the anti-Yawn hatred.
    So does that make the 133,149,814,944 times (I did a forum search and counted ) you've used the term 'Name Rape' with regards to Dawn 04 superfluous?

Zombi 2, Return of the Living Dead 1 & 2, Undead, Braindead (if you consider it a zombie-zombie movie), Living Dead At Manchester Morgue are but six zed-flicks which kick Yawn04's whore-ass up and down jump street.

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post
    Long story short - I'm no huge fan of Dawn '04. But I believe that weighed solely on its own merits it is watchable. Weighed against all the non-GAR zombie movies out there it does well. Weighed against its namesake it is a turd.
    That sounds like a pretty fair statement, to me.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 08-Apr-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost