Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    i wonder if he said that he was a big fan of covering himself in camel shit and wallowing in sawdust with badgers would that make that activity cool?
    Dude!!!! You mean you AREN'T already doing that?!?!?!? It's the coolest!!! Extra coolpoints if you can get the badgers to rub you down with baby oil afterwards.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Dude!!!! You mean you AREN'T already doing that?!?!?!? It's the coolest!!! Extra coolpoints if you can get the badgers to rub you down with baby oil afterwards.
    sadly, i am always the last one into the coolsville station these days.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

capncnut
    YAY, Kevin Smith, the BEST director on the planet. Man, Clerks is so much better than 2001, Rosemarys Baby and Apocalypse Now.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by capncnut View Post
    YAY, Kevin Smith, the BEST director on the planet. Man, Clerks is so much better than 2001, Rosemarys Baby and Apocalypse Now.

Really putting in a stretch there aye Capn?

Comparing him to other comedy writers and directors, Smith is probably one of the better talents out there, but in the entire pool, I know, you know, and he knows he is a small fish in a very large pond.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Really putting in a stretch there aye Capn?

Comparing him to other comedy writers and directors, Smith is probably one of the better talents out there, but in the entire pool, I know, you know, and he knows he is a small fish in a very large pond.
    I dig Smith's work, he does what he does and he does it well - he's an entertaining dude, SModcast rocks, his Evening Withs rock - and I dig his flicks.

Anything bad you could say about Smith, it'd be pointless, because he's already said it himself...perhaps he's too self-deprecating, but I'd bet there's not many directors who'd be willing to put themselves down so much and so often - be it for a laugh, or in all seriousness.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Anything bad you could say about Smith, it'd be pointless, because he's already said it himself...perhaps he's too self-deprecating, but I'd bet there's not many directors who'd be willing to put themselves down so much and so often - be it for a laugh, or in all seriousness.
    Yeah...Smith will be the first to admit that he's just a nerd that got lucky. He's had hits and misses, but he seems to stay pretty humble about it all. He doesn't go around stroking his ego like Michael Bay.

Personally, I think Smith is only getting better. Yeah, Zack and Miri was just your average comedy, but he seems to have grown in many other areas. Jersey Girl and Clerks 2 really seem to be pushing into another place for Smith. Don't get me wrong, Clerks 2 is a comedy first and foremost but what he did with those characters was fantastic and heart warming. Same with Jersey Girl. There was a great deal of personality and "soul" to that film, imo.

Anyway....he's already a good comedy writer/director to lots of people, but I think he's got a gem in the works. Something that will surprise everyone.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Aside from Mallrats and Clerks 2, I dig Smith's work.

My favorite being Dogma. i think a lot of people slam him because either they don't get slacker/stoner comedy, or just don't like it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    i think a lot of people slam him because either they don't get slacker/stoner comedy, or just don't like it.
    well, i don't know what there is to "get" about stoner comedy, it being pretty much the lowest common denominator as comedy goes. i've been a "stoner" most of my adult life, so i certainly understand the slant. i just don't like smith's work. clerks and dogma have their moments but the rest of his stuff is total shit in my opinion.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I guess it is how one views them, or maybe what memories they stir up. I remember watching Clerks the first time and thinking, I feel their disdain for the general public as I too was once a register Jockey, while also being a DJ, so I could relate to that film.

Mallrats was just total pish

Chasing Amy, was just great and funny. Jason Lee made that film.

Dogma, OMG, this was hilarious to me because being raised a catholic I connected with Bethany's plight on religion, coupled with Alan Rickman wry humor in every scene he was in just made it worth the viewing time.

Jay and SIlent Bob Strike Back - Just plain old dumb fun, with a great ensemble cast that was 2 hours of pure stupidity from start to finish. Not too mention slamming everything that is fucked up in Hollywood.

Jersey Girl - Eh, not my bag of donuts

Clerks 2 - Never should have been made.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!