Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Kevin Smith a Fan of DAWN of the DEAD remake

On Evening with Kevin Smith 3, a member asked about remakes, mostly about Escape From Ny, in which Kevin felt didn't need a remake, he said its like DAWN of the DEAD, didn't need a remake, but Zack Snyder made a PIMP remake (Pimp meaning Good) so he is hoping if EFNY gets re-made, he hopes it is workable.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 31-Mar-2009 at 01:47 AM.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Interesting.

Awaits MZ's opinion about this.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Awaits MZ's opinion about this.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    Zack Snyder made a PIMP remake (Pimp meaning Good)
    Certain that wasn't sarcasm?

Does anyone seriously talk that way except for a 10-year old?

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    who cares if it's sarcasm - anyone who finds anything but entertainment value in that remake has completely missed the point of movies being made for artistic reasons, and obviously doesn't watch movies to get anything from them but shocks and jumps.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by DubiousComforts View Post
    Certain that wasn't sarcasm?

Does anyone seriously talk that way except for a 10-year old?
    Pseudo-cool, stoner-friendly (i.e. dumb) hack directors do, apparently.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    It wasn't sarcasm. He was talking about Superman returns and how boring it was, and the same guy asked about the remake of Escape From New York, which Smiths said why do we need a remake, he said although DAWN of the DEAD didn't need one either, but Zack Snyder made a Pimp Movie, and PIMP meaning good, so he hopes whoever directs Escape does the same, although he felt both that and DAWN didn't need remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by krakenslayer View Post
    Pseudo-cool, stoner-friendly (i.e. dumb) hack directors do, apparently.
    I don't consider Smith a hack. All of his films, except for Mallrats were very entertaining, which compared to a lot of the schlock released today, thats something.

John Russo = Hack
    Uwe Boll = Hack
    Kevin Smith = Far from a hack.

If you want to get technical, LAND would make me consider George to be a hack, but since I enjoy his other works I won't go there, but if "Of The Dead" turns out as shitty as that trailer floating around youtube.com for it, then I may sing a different tune.
    Last edited by DjfunkmasterG; 31-Mar-2009 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

Scotland
    I don't consider Smith a hack. All of his films, except for Mallrats were very entertaining, which compared to a lot of the schlock released today, thats something.

John Russo = Hack
    Uwe Boll = Hack
    Kevin Smith = Far from a hack.

If you want to get technical, LAND would make me consider George to be a hack, but since I enjoy his other works I won't go there, but if "Of The Dead" turns out as shitty as that trailer floating around youtube.com for it, then I may sing a different tune.
    Okay, hack is probably the wrong word, but I dislike Smith in the same way I dislike Rob Zombie, because their entire filmographies each follow a single stylistic formula to the point that their "trademarks" become tedious and predictable. For example, Smiths characters ALWAYS talk in this kinda hip, witty banter filled with tons of pop culture and Star Wars references - it's like his characters are all just projections of himself.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Funny you say that, because he said that is how he writes his characters.

You should watch an Evening With Kevin Smith, its funny, and explains a lot of why the way he does the things he does in his movies.

many non-smith fans have learned to appreciate him more after seeing that show.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Funny you say that, because he said that is how he writes his characters.

You should watch an Evening With Kevin Smith, its funny, and explains a lot of why the way he does the things he does in his movies.

Yeah, they're really informative. "Half, Half, WHOOOOLLLLEEE"

Scotland
    Usually authors who write characters consistently similar in personality to themselves (or an idealized version of themselves) are decried as lacking imagination, and I would be tempted to agree.

For example, it's a common complaint about later Stephen King novels that the central character is very often a writer or other creative talent with similar personality traits and issues to King himself. At least this allows King to explore introspective personal and psychological matters in his characters in a way that would be difficult with a character who was entirely invented. However, it does become very predictable after a while.

Another author who does this, in a different way, is Guy N. Smith. A notorious hack, all the central male characters in Smith's novels could almost be the same guy cut and pasted from one book to the next. Each one is supposed to be presented as a likeable and suave hero but they always come across unintentionally as somewhat bigoted, arrogant and extremely sexist, and are usually used as a mouthpiece for Smith's own opinions about stuff that is completely irrelevant to the plot at hand. The female characters in his books are even shallower, usually they are completely devoid of any depth of personality beyond simple surface emotions ("scared", "horny"), which to me suggests a complete inability of the author to empathise with anyone who is unlike himself. Here's an example: "I want a man. I'm desperate for a man...I...couldn't hold out any longer. I need...it. Badly!" (from Entombed) and "
    Gordon would you … take me away from here? Take me with you, where there aren’t such things as wolves, Black Dogs and people cutting their heads off with saws." (from Werewolf by Moonlight).
    Last edited by krakenslayer; 31-Mar-2009 at 01:25 PM.

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    OMG Guy N Smith is SUCH a T**T!!!!!

I read a couple of his books back in the days of consuming rubbish horror novels - one was about a girl kidnapped and experimented on (the protagonist fingerprints his gf's keyboard and uses the information to somehow tell where she has been taken - bearing in mind the character has nothing to do with fingerprinting or forensics as far as I remember...it's completely arbitrary!)- can't remember the name tho....the other was called Death Bell, about a town beset by people going mad because a loud bell rings every so often to control some mentally unstable guy...ridiculous...

Oh and I think I remember reading something about Cockroaches, which I'm not sure was him - but it was probably called Cockroaches or something spectacularly original...I don't remember... I just remember that in each of his books something f**ked up happens to the female characters - in the roach one, the main chick gets eaten by cockroaches from "down there", in Death Bell there is a necrophilia sub-story involving an innocent girl who gets murdered, and obv the one with the chick being experimented on simply has her kidnapped as a plot point...I don't remember one story with a strong female in them....

Yeah, he's rubbish.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

Super Moderator

United States

I agree that parts of an Evening with Kevin Smith (didn't he do a second one) are quite funny, but I dunno...Kevin Smith is someone who is likable enough sometimes and has some really fun stories he's told, but nowadays it just seems like he's a bit full of himself and self-important.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Ya know....after thinking about it for a minute, I just have to ask. So what?

DJ, are you still scratching for ways to make people enjoy this film and Smith liking it may somehow help that cause?

Kevin Smith also likes food......discuss!

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post

Kevin Smith also likes food......discuss!
    Oooooooh, he does? I wouldn't have guessed it, not by the svelt look of him.

I wonder if he likes pizza...I bet he does. I bet he does like pizza!

Now I want pizza too.

(Is that how it's supposed to work?)

To be fair, though, I've seen many similar posts about celebs giving love to Romero's works posted (of course) and this is the right forum for that sort of thing for Dawn 04.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 31-Mar-2009 at 04:04 PM.