Thread: Harold Ramis Dishes on 'Ghostbusters 3'

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States

Harold Ramis Dishes on 'Ghostbusters 3'

Looks like the boys are once again, about to "show this pre-historic b***h how they do things downtown."

In a recent interview with MTV, Actor/Director, Harold Ramis discussed some details about the upcoming third Ghostbusters film. With the franchise getting revived after being dormant for 20 years, it left many wondering exactly how a comeback would be handled and whether or not all our favorite paranormal exterminators would return. According to Ramis...HELL YEAH! (Well, those weren't his exact words, but...)

That's right, in addition to Ramis himself (Egon Spengler), the new film will feature the original Ghostbusters Bill Murray (Peter Venkman), Dan Aykroyd (Ray Stantz), and Ernie Hudson (Winston Zeddmore.) However, there is no official word on the supposedly retired-from-acting Rick Moranis (Louis Tully) or Annie Potts (Janine Melnitz.)

Ramis, who is currently waiting on the first draft of the script, also provided some insight into the concept of the film.

"We're all going to be in it in different kinds of roles," Ramis said. "We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters."

I don't think it would take the clairvoyance of Nostradamus to predict that the original Ghostbusters are getting "up there" in age, and that a new Ghostbusters film featuring them would likely be a vehicle for passing the baton. When it comes down to it, this is the only concept that is feasible and it CAN work.

This, I suppose, would be the part where we start speculating on the casting of the "New Ghostbusters." Standard industry names will likely come up: Ben Stiller, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd, Russell Brand, Steve Carell (and basically anyone from The Office.)

Oh! Could we see some female Ghostbusters? It is 2009, after all. It's likely that they would scour the field of current and ex-Saturday Night Live cast members. Tina Fey? Amy Poehler? Kristen Wiig?

What's important is that they don't give into the temptation for the film to become some watered-down parody of the franchise. While it needs to retain its roots, it also has to be something that transitions smoothly into the atmosphere and sensibilities of the world of today (while not getting too caught up in that aspect, either.) It also needs to be funny, yet cannot be campy, relying on generic 80's nostalgia. It's a fine line to walk, and I'm sure that writing this script will be a long and difficult process.

If you ask me: It needs more Vigo The Carpathian.

Source

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/69...busters-3.html

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    In before Bassman!

"We're all going to be in it in different kinds of roles," Ramis said. "We're going to be the sage mentors. There are going to be young Ghostbusters."
    Man, you guys could have written this one! That takes the story half way to the part where they put on the proton packs at the end to help save the day.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pssshh....This is soooo 3 days ago.

Still the same stuff though. Nothing is official with the exception of the two guys writing the script. Doesn't necessarily mean it will happen.

This article seems to have butchered up the original article that it came from. Ramis said that Aykroyd, Reitman, and himself are "advising" the new writers(in other words giving them a thumbs up or thumbs down to their ideas) and that Bill said he would consider participating if the script is good enough.

Ramis then made a joke about Murray waiting for the dump truck full of cash to arrive in his driveway before he leaves his office.

As usual, I won't believe this until something OFFICIAL is announced. There have been thousands of false starts for GB3 over the years. But on the other hand, Ghostbusters seems to be building up hype with non-fans due to the game, blu rays, figures, etc....so who knows?

Honestly i'm thinking that a Ghostbusters 3 would be a bad idea and tarnish the magic of the originals. Unless the script is AMAZINGLY good, that is. The video game is Ghostbusters 3...let's stick with that instead of a newer group of comedians trying to fill the shoes.
    Last edited by bassman; 01-Apr-2009 at 03:40 PM.

Inverting The Cross MikePizzoff's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    Man, you guys could have written this one! That takes the story half way to the part where they put on the proton packs at the end to help save the day.
    Hey, man, we've been banking on what Ramis said as well as the ending you're talking about.

I think Hollywood owes HPotD some cashola.