Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Thread: Elm Street remake - the new Freddy?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    Isn't that the truth.

I'll be honest, I think the makeup is "ok" but that's as far as it goes. When I saw the first full-on headshot of it, I thought "Why the hell does Freddy look chinese?!" There's something about the eyes that looks wrong to me. I can't really put my finger on it.

Not only that, when he talks in the few shots we see it, it looks like the only thing moving is his lips and everything else on his face is stationary. In the original, it looks like the prosthetics they put on Englund allowed his mouth/face area to move better (if that makes sense) making the effects more "real" and more a part of him - at least to me. It wasn't just lips moving under a mask of stone, so-to-speak.

Personally, I liked the original makeup better, but I'm still kinda stoked to see what they do with this flick. I don't think it should've been done, but I think their approach might be a winner here (I stress "might"). They're staying respectful to the original (which most remakes do not do), while changing it up a bit and bringing it up to date.

I'm still on the fence with this one though.

I just hope they they don't go with the "comedian" Freddy aspect like they did in all the movies after the first one. Freddy, in part 1, was scary - in the sequels that followed, he was nothing more than a burn victim comedian, and that's not scary nor funny.

Imo, the best films incorporate a bit of everything. A little comedy, drama , action etc.

The thing is to find the right formula.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post
    I just hope they they don't go with the "comedian" Freddy aspect like they did in all the movies after the first one. Freddy, in part 1, was scary - in the sequels that followed, he was nothing more than a burn victim comedian, and that's not scary nor funny.
    They're definitely not doing a funny Freddy. I've seen interviews where everyone involved says they're making Freddy scary again. Not some fruity ER patient running around with a whoopie cushion.

I'm thinking this flick is going to surprise people. Not that it will be anything revolutionary, but I think anyone willing to see it with an open mind will be entertained. Most of this will be because of Haley. The guy is a phenomenal actor and I think people will be impressed with the final product.

It reminds me of when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker. "Jack Nicholson is the ONLY Joker!" "GREAT...Brokeback joker!" "He played a fag so he can't be the Joker!" We all know how that turned out...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    They're definitely not doing a funny Freddy. I've seen interviews where everyone involved says they're making Freddy scary again. Not some fruity ER patient running around with a whoopie cushion.

I'm thinking this flick is going to surprise people. Not that it will be anything revolutionary, but I think anyone willing to see it with an open mind will be entertained. Most of this will be because of Haley. The guy is a phenomenal actor and I think people will be impressed with the final product.

It reminds me of when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker. "Jack Nicholson is the ONLY Joker!" "GREAT...Brokeback joker!" "He played a fag so he can't be the Joker!" We all know how that turned out...

I know it was too much but let's not just dismiss the original character's "quirkiness."

They shouldn't make him a bland character in order to make it scary. Sue him, but freddy has personality, something that his other contemporary superhuman murderers lack.

Freddy could carry a film precisely because of that. Jason and Myers just show up for the kill and disappear again, rinse, repeat. Kinda boring and monotonous as lead characters truthfully.

It is the people they are trying to murder that MUST carry the day because the "stars" of the movie are incapable of doing so.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I'm not saying he shouldn't have a personality, but he definitely shouldn't have the outlandish, off the wall personality that he had in the sequels. The first film nailed it. He was scary, but at the same time he also had that black comedy sort of "I'm having fun with this!" attitude.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    Imo, the best films incorporate a bit of everything. A little comedy, drama , action etc.

The thing is to find the right formula.

This is true, and I think they had the right combo for the first one, but the sequels that followed made freddy a burned stand-up comedian and not like the child killer he was supposed to be. Then again, maybe I have the wrong impression of child killers? Perhaps they're all funny. Who knows.

Being a huge fan of the original, I'm cautiously optimistic about this flick. Of course, I said that before about Halloween and look where that got me.

We shall see.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 15-Apr-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Undisclosed
    I plan on purchasing tickets Friday morning. I have a feeling it will sell out like the Friday the 13th remake did last year.
    Last edited by slickwilly13; 28-Apr-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Undisclosed
    Word of advice... AVOID THIS MOVIE BY ALL MEANS! This is the first movie I've ever walked out of half way through. It is seriously mind-numbingly dull. The characters are dull. There is basically no plot. It is awful. Maybe worse than the Friday the 13th remake. And thats saying something.

Undisclosed
    I thought the Friday the 13th remake was not bad.... This was soulless and the script was extremely un even and structured totally wrong. FIX IT...I mean skip it.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

Super Moderator

UK
    The IGN guys have said that it copies too much from the original movie - I was saying it looked that way from the trailers, perhaps I'm right on that front.

I'll see it at some time, but yeah, what's the point in remaking a movie mostly with the same content, but with flashier techniques?

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    oooooo goodie, another remake for Lou and I to rip apart.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

Super Moderator

UK
    Just seen more review snippets ... there's not a lot of love for this flick.

Haley seems to be recognised as the best thing about the movie, but even then some are saying he doesn't get used enough. Smells like a rental to me, boys.

United States
    hard to love, that's what i'd call it. i saw it last nite, it was a mixed bag of feelings... C+.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    oooooo goodie, another remake for Lou and I to rip apart.
    I have not seen it yet, however.... from all the reviews I've been reading, this seems to be the case, Deej.

Scotland
    i dont like the idea of robert englund being replaced. he made the entire series and he was there since the start. to take out the main star in a horror film is a bad move in my opinion. :/.

United States
    I finally saw this wretched piece of shit, and just from that statement alone you can tell what I thought of it.

A complete waste of time and money. Just what I was afraid of.

Once again, Hollywood fucked up another remake. Nice job, guys.