Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Elm Street remake - the new Freddy?

Undisclosed
    Another Freddy pic from a side view.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/19737

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by LouCipherr View Post

Against my better judgement, I'll open this can of worms....

Now, here's what I really find interesting - and I'll put this thought out to all of you who are big RZ Halloween & GAR fans - why is it that Rob can change almost every bit of Halloween aside from character names and his mask and it's perfectly fine, however... Dawn04 was EXACTLY the same experience and yet most everyone rags on that film. Why? They brought it up to date, they changed the story around a bit but kept the "core" of the idea intact - just like what's being called for on NOES and exactly what RZ did with Halloween, but yet it's a bad thing for Dawn04??

Someone care to explain?

DO NOT use "running zombies" as the excuse - sorry, but they changed Michael Meyers and every other character in Hallowen up so much from the original, runners vs. shamblers is basically the same kind of change done in Dawn04. There has to be something else about it.
    Well, I personally despise most remakes. But, I really digged R.Z.'s re-imagining of "Halloween" and I really enjoyed the re-imagining of "Dawn of the Dead" as well, even if others here may attempt to give me a good flogging for saying it. But, to your point, I think you can sum it up like this...

To alot of people here, "Dawn of the Dead" is their most favorite horror film and, in some cases, most favorite film ever made. For anyone to take something that is their most favorite of anything and attempt to change it, there's really only going to be one reaction, and that's anger and frustration. At first I thought "How dare they!" as well, but after actually seeing the film and realizing that it was something completely different all together I actually enjoyed it for the adventure/action flick (with zombies) that it is, as opposed to Romero's original horror flick. In of itself, I think Dawn 04 is an enjoyable film to kick back and turn off your mind for a few hours for the fun of it (while trying to ignore the mostly, except Johnny Cash, awful soundtrack).

Advsersely, if they had attempted to make "Dawn 04" the same as the original masterpiece (the characters the same, the plot the exact same, only "modernizing" the story but everything remaining basically identical) then I would have never gone to see it or have any interest in seeing it. I've already seen "Dawn" and love it, what's the point in seeing an identical remake that is the same as the original except with people wearing contemporary clothes and living in a more contemporary mall? Pointless. The reason that I enjoyed "Dawn 04" was the same reason that so many others dislike it (and R.Z.'s "Halloween" I suppose) in that it doesn't attempt to be the same thing other than keeping a similar plot and some similar characters it branches out into some fresh territory/ideology within itself. It's a unique vision of the similar ideology.

Is it as good as the original? I don't think so, but I don't attempt to compare it because it's not the same thing. It's a completely different outlook on the same perspective.

However, the "Day" remake was absolute shit, and there's no arguing that.

j.p.
    "Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid." - Ronald Wilson Reagan

"A page of good prose remains invincible." - John Cheever

United States
    Now, here's what I really find interesting - and I'll put this thought out to all of you who are big RZ Halloween & GAR fans - why is it that Rob can change almost every bit of Halloween aside from character names and his mask and it's perfectly fine, however... Dawn04 was EXACTLY the same experience and yet most everyone rags on that film. Why? They brought it up to date, they changed the story around a bit but kept the "core" of the idea intact - just like what's being called for on NOES and exactly what RZ did with Halloween, but yet it's a bad thing for Dawn04??

Someone care to explain?

:
    Couldn't tell ya. . . .I like both movies. I thought they both were great examples of taking an original source material, keeping it familiar, and changing it enough to be interesting. The only real problem I had with H2 was the fact that Michael Myers was grunting and shouting when he was killing people. I much prefer the silence of the original MM.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

United States
    Understood, JP, and I agree for the most part. I think my thoughts on Halloween were spot on how you described most other people's thoughts on the original Dawn. The part I struggle with is, I think Snyder did a better job on his remake than Rob, but I don't know why that is. Again, it might be my Carpenterism kicking in (I'm a huge fan, mostly of his earlier work), but I can't really put my finger on it.

I still see this though: In Dawn04, it's the mall, zombies, and a survival flick. In RZ's Halloween, it's Michael, his mask, and his killing spree - other than those key elements in both films, everything else has been changed. They both parallel each other in that way. RZ's version of H1 (lets stick with that for now) differs just as much as Snyder's Dawn04 did to the original, yet, everyone (you are an exception, as I'm sure there will be a few others, but the overall majority will not) praises RZ's Halloween and bashes Dawn04. It just seems like a major contridction to me. They both approached the remake in the exact same manner, but one is considered fantastic, the other a pile of dog crap. *scratches head in confusion*

Y'know, I probably could've enjoyed RZ's Halloween.....

That is, if John Carpenter had never made the original.

Quote Originally Posted by clangee
    The only real problem I had with H2 was the fact that Michael Myers was grunting and shouting when he was killing people. I much prefer the silence of the original MM.
    That was only one of many issues I had with RZ's H2, but I have to agree - the silent stalker was much scarier than the grunting, Big Daddy-like version.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 09-Apr-2010 at 12:44 PM.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    My answer is simple. I don't like the original Halloween, so the remake improved on it. I like the original Dawn, and the remake did not improve on it.

I've warmed up to Dawn04 in recent years though. It doesn't deserve to be in the same category as the original, but it's a decent action film with zombies thrown in.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Anyone know what time it is?
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Time to do the Freddy?

Those aren't real problems, Sam.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    She has had her norks out before. Only twice so far, mind ... I think it was part of her "image change" period (which included TCM2003). She also got her norks out in some recent movie called Powder Blue where she played a stripper.
    ??????

??????
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    Someone care to explain?

DO NOT use "running zombies" as the excuse - sorry, but they changed Michael Meyers and every other character in Hallowen up so much from the original, runners vs. shamblers is basically the same kind of change done in Dawn04. There has to be something else about it.

Someone help me to understand, 'cause I'm lost.
    Go to my blog, search for 110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 sucks.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Go to my blog, search for 110 reasons in 110 minutes why Yawn04 sucks.
    So it was ok what they did to Halloween, but following the same exact formula, it's not ok for Dawn04. Believe me, I could come up with the exact same list for H1 as you did for Dawn04, so....... I'm still confused.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 09-Apr-2010 at 02:02 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    So it was ok what they did to Halloween, but following the same exact formula, it's not ok for Dawn04. Believe me, I could come up with the exact same list for H1 as you did for Dawn04, so....... I'm still confused.
    We all know the reason lou so I don't even know why you're pressing.

However, if you're just trying to get the hypocrisy on record, that i can respect.

C'mon, MZ say it !! Double Standard. Try it. It rolls right off the toungue.

And I can't believe this is going to turn into one of those threads.

Last edited by darth los; 09-Apr-2010 at 03:51 PM.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

UK
    Lou, Darth ... quit trying so hard.

I'm not saying RZ's H1 and H2 don't have flaws, indeed I listed many about H2 - yet, as I also said when blogging about it, it strangely compelled me and I ended up respecting it ... I'm just saying that I actually quite like them both.

Yawn04 can suck the shit out of a donkey's butt-chute for all I care ... motherfucker had that stupid bitch chasing after "Chips" in it for starters.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    We all know the reason lou so I don't even know why you're pressing.

However, if you're just trying to get the hypocrisy on record, that i can respect.

MZ - I'm not "trying too hard" - my point is valid: both H1 & Yawn04 (as you like to call it ) took the same approach, yet one is praised and one is damned. Whether you want to admit it or not, Snyder is a better filmmaker than RZ, even with Dawn04 included.

That brings us to NOES - so what if they repeat or include some of the original sequences? I can guarantee you, even if they do reuse many of them, they will be quite a distance from the original. Not to mention, I bet we're in for some surprises in the remake of NOES that were not in the original too.

We shall see.
    Last edited by LouCipherr; 09-Apr-2010 at 04:45 PM.

pissing in your Kool-Aid DjfunkmasterG's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    When William Forsythe character died, H1, RZ's version, began to suck major ass. It plodded along, dragged, and was a complete snooze fest.

Don't make LOU and I come up with 110 reasons why H1 (2007) Sucks MZ.

You know we will do it.
    ALWAYS BET ON DEAD!
    Official member of the "ZOMBIE MAN" Fan Club Est. 2007 *FOUNDING MEMBER*

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    You know we will do it.