Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK FOLK: Big Brother is watching you on t'internet...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyebiter View Post
    Put an INGSOC logo on it and it will be perfect.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Chasing Prey

Undisclosed
    don't forget this campaign was released as a response to a lot of crime on public transport - most notably a guy who got knifed to death because some idiot was throwing food at his gf....mind you I don't know how cameras would've helped that guy not get stabbed by a psycho, but there you go.
    Innocent victims of merciless crimes, fall prey to some madman's impulsive designs.

Step after step we try controlling our fate. When we finally start living, it's become too late.

England
    Quote Originally Posted by SymphonicX View Post
    don't forget this campaign was released as a response to a lot of crime on public transport - most notably a guy who got knifed to death because some idiot was throwing food at his gf....mind you I don't know how cameras would've helped that guy not get stabbed by a psycho, but there you go.
    Exactly,CCTV does very little to prevent crime,it just makes the resulting court case easier,at which ridiculously light sentences are usually handed out...
    More police on the beat would be far more effective,and none of these cardboard cut outs of policemen that they stick in shops that apparently prevent crime (yeah chuffin' right)

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Exactly,CCTV does very little to prevent crime,it just makes the resulting court case easier,at which ridiculously light sentences are usually handed out...
    More police on the beat would be far more effective,and none of these cardboard cut outs of policemen that they stick in shops that apparently prevent crime (yeah chuffin' right)
    Amen brother.

And the problem with CCTV too, is the amount of footage that isn't good enough too use (too dark, too grainy, not the right angle etc) - I don't know what percentage it is, but it's enough to be commented on at the Convention of Modern Liberty.

As I always say - I'd rather have a real copper on the street who can run to my aid, instead of a camera way up there videotaping my death at the hands of yet another thug.

But by copper - I mean a good one - not like that scumbag who pushed over that dude who wasn't even involved in the protests, who was simply walking, who then swiftly had a heart attack and died.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Exactly,CCTV does very little to prevent crime
    Can't agree with that I'm afraid... What's more likely to be burgled, a house with CCTV outside, or a house without CCTV outside?

It also does mean there is the possibility of at least someone seeing going on, rather than no one. The new manned CCTV's with speakers are a good idea, as if the individual watching see's something he can literally shout out of the microphone, possibly instantly ending the situation...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Can't agree with that I'm afraid... What's more likely to be burgled, a house with CCTV outside, or a house without CCTV outside?

It also does mean there is the possibility of at least someone seeing going on, rather than no one. The new manned CCTV's with speakers are a good idea, as if the individual watching see's something he can literally shout out of the microphone, possibly instantly ending the situation...

Companies have been selling those fake CCTV cameras for years that people stick on their houses so thieves dont take them seriously anyway as they are more than likely to be dummies!plus theres these human rights loopholes in the law where people can claim they were filmed without permission therefore its not valid evidence...
    And with those manned CCTV cameras its all very well,but by the time the person on the camera has raised the alarm & the police have got to where the crime is going on its likely to be all over & the criminal has long since scarpered!

Super Moderator

United States
    I hate this proliferation of security cameras...everywhere. As though this is the sort of thing that doesn't lend itself to abuses of the direst persuasion.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Super Moderator

UK
    What's more likely to be burgled, a house with CCTV outside, or a house without CCTV outside?
    *ahem*

More like a house with open windows, dodgy locks, a weak door, curtains left open displaying valuables while the occupants are clearly away on holiday, situated in a shitty neighbourhood.

You can do something magical to avoid being identified on CCTV - cover your face with a mask - burglars are so brazen they'll most likely not give a bollocks about CCTV being on a residence, as there's most likely only one camera, and very very very few private houses have them - the ones that do are more likely to be in good neighbourhoods, behind high walls and gates, with solid window locks and solid doors already ... ... or the odd house in the shittiest of poopy neighbourhoods like you see on those ITV programmes that make you wanna kill yourself because the world is such a horrible place after all.

And a camera that can talk ... gee, wow - now I can be murdered by a gang of thugs as a camera records it, while a copper doesn't come to the rescue because he's indoors filling out paperwork to do with how politically correct he's been today, and all the while there's some ninny going "shoo, go away!" over a silly microphone.

And don't even get me started on lamp-posts with listening devices in them (seriously) ... I mean, wtf?!