View Poll Results: ANDYS ADDED POLL - is 28 days later a zombie movie?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No it isnt.

18 64.29%
  • Yes it is.

10 35.71%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Dear Growling, Running, Twitching Zombie...

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Officially done with this thread - the poll speaks for itself.

*dusts hands*

*wanders off in search of SModcast*
    Well the poll is now 13-5 in favour of its not a zombie movie, so whatever you guys think, we should now be able to agree its generally not accepted as such, which was my original point before this all blew up.

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Well the poll is now 13-5 in favour of its not a zombie movie, so whatever you guys think, we should now be able to agree its generally not accepted as such, which was my original point before this all blew up.
    Wrong lol.

Just because people on a homepage dedicated to GAR's zombies vote that 28 days later isn't a ''zombie movie'' (which lets face it, is no surprise). It's incredibly arrogant and foolish to think that your view = everyones. I GUARENTEE you most people outside of a few elitest GAR considers it a zombie movie.

The mainstream press often called it a zombie movie- and what do you think is more ''generally accepted'' MAINSTREAM media, or a fairly obscure amount of people on a message board who think their opinion is accepted opinion?

Here's another poll in which 28 Days Later beats Dawn of the Dead in a favourite ''zombie movie'' poll

http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/200...-zombie-movie/

and again, on a more mainstream poll, 28 Days Later gets the nod over Dawn:

http://www.flixster.com/poll/what-is...t-zombie-movie

And it has way more partcipants than this poll.

Before you declare your opinion be all-end all, think about the fact that what you call generally excepted is generally niche and a rather small fanbase's opinon.
    Last edited by JSPoole; 20-Apr-2009 at 10:02 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JSPoole View Post
    Wrong lol.

Just because people on a homepage dedicated to GAR's zombies vote that 28 days later isn't a ''zombie movie'' (which lets face it, is no surprise). It's incredibly arrogant and foolish to think that your view = everyones. I GUARENTEE you most people outside of a few elitest GAR considers it a zombie movie.

The mainstream press often called it a zombie movie- and what do you think is more ''generally accepted'' MAINSTREAM media, or a fairly obscure amount of people on a message board who think their opinion is accepted opinion?
    Actually if you look back a few pages, i was refering to the general opinion on this site specifically, you know being my forums an all, i was told i was wrong and i was merely pointing out that the poll shows im right.

I Dont care what the mainstream press call it, ive seen dracula called a zombie in the mainstream press, it dosnt make it true and of course you and ned are entitled to your opinions, this thread could go on for another 100 pages and we still wouldnt all agree becuase your not going to change your minds anymore than we are.

BUT i was pointing out that in my original point, that it was generally considered not to be a zombie movie on my forums, i was right and the proof is right there.

United States
    I hear ya Andy. . . I would really like to see who voted where though. Just to see where people lay in the polls. I know for a fact that the 28 movies have gotten a LOT of conversation time from a lot of us. On this zombie fan site. That, at the very least, shows that in most peoples minds here, the 28 movies have at least a whole lot in common with zombie movies. Otherwise it would never even come up at all.

Anyways. . whatever. It's one of those things where noone is going to be convinced either way. .you know? At least I know I'm right even though noone else seems to be. . . .
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    Actually if you look back a few pages, i was refering to the general opinion on this site specifically, you know being my forums an all, i was told i was wrong and i was merely pointing out that the poll shows im right.

I Dont care what the mainstream press call it, ive seen dracula called a zombie in the mainstream press, it dosnt make it true and of course you and ned are entitled to your opinions, this thread could go on for another 100 pages and we still wouldnt all agree becuase your not going to change your minds anymore than we are.

BUT i was pointing out that in my original point, that it was generally considered not to be a zombie movie on my forums, i was right and the proof is right there.
    Even GAR has said he didn't consider his original Night of the Living Dead a zombie movie (the ''zombies'' were based on the vampires in I am Legend).

In fact, GAR'S movies aren't technically zombie movies at all. Vodoo zombies were NOT dead, and did NOT eat flesh. 28 Days Later zombies are far closer to that than GAR'S ''zombies'', don't you think?

So if you wanna be a close minded snob about it, then the proof is there that GAR'S movies aren't technically zombie movies. If you don't consider 28 Days Later infected zombies, despite being closer to the actual definition of zombies, then you certainly can't consider GAR'S movies zombie movies, lest you be a hypocrite.
    Last edited by JSPoole; 20-Apr-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Administrator

England
    How am i being a close minded snob becuase my opinion is different to yours? i even said you and ned will not change your opinions more than i will, so im not even arguing about it, but the poll proves my original point. thats all i said.

If it wanted to be a closeminded snob i would continue to argue.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Also, as always with statistics, the numbers can be misleading depending on the question. For instance, if you were to ask a hundred people: "Do 28 Days Later and Night of the Living Dead belong in the same genre?" you'd probably a completely different result.

The Polls JSPoole brought up also clearly indicate that the greater public seem to regard it as a zombie movie. Infact, I've never come upon anyone who HASN'T regarded it as such except people on this board. Kinda strange, huh?

I KNOW some people on this board don't consider a zombie movie. Didn't need a poll to tell me that! I was hoping I could make a few people see that when it's down to defining genres, it's not down to splitting hairs but rather conventions and how the audience views it. Alas, I was wrong.

Ireland
    For instance, if you were to ask a hundred people: "Do 28 Days Later and Night of the Living Dead belong in the same genre?" you'd probably a completely different result.
    That's because it's a misleading question Ned. Of course 'Night of the Living Dead' and '28 Days Later' belong to the same genre. The "horror genre" and people would answer it as such.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    There's nothing zombie about it. It's an "angry mob" movie. Your average lynchmob is closer to the 28 people than any living dead.

So i guess that would make the 1970's cult classic "The Warriors" A zombie movie as well since it features an "angry mob" relentlessly pursuing the protagonists for the entire film. Right?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    So i guess that would make the 1970's cult classic "The Warriors" A zombie movie as well since it features an "angry mob" relentlessly pursuing the protagonists for the entire film. Right?

No. Just like how 28 isn't a zombie franchise, either. A bunch of people who are just angry and chasing people around doesn't make them the living dead. Not even close.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    i see the only way to settle this argument is going to be the old fashioned way: with weapons and a duel.

evilned pick your weapon, a second and which member you are going to challenge from the opposing side and let's settle this once and for all in a rational, civilized manner.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I pick clanglee as my second, and Andy as my opponent! I'll let Andy have the honor of picking the weapon...

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    A bunch of people who are just angry and chasing people around doesn't make them the living dead. Not even close.
    The only problem being that the word zombie doesn't have to refer to a dead or undead person.

You, yourself, are looking at the definition of zombie from a point of view that was borrowed and heavily influenced by the fandom of GAR's films and similar works. I understand that this is the definition you refer to whenever you refer to zombies and zombie movies and that it's a finer, tighter distinction than what some of us are talking about in this thread, but I do hope you understand that the definition to which you're referring is, itself, derived from older sources.

Andy, it’s not a competition (well, it’s not one for most of us). I understand that this is a site for fans of GAR, so most people will adhere to the idea that the general vision his fans ascribe to is the only ‘way to go’, but I don’t think there is a right or wrong distinction to what the definition of a zombie is (in the context of this conversation, anyway).

You have a very specific definition of what zombies are--more so than my definition--but the fact is that there are even tighter distinctions than the general GAR definition of what constitutes a zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I pick clanglee as my second, and Andy as my opponent! I'll let Andy have the honor of picking the weapon...
    Why is it this is the image I see after reading that:

Last edited by AcesandEights; 20-Apr-2009 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Administrator

England
    Im pulling out of this argument now as ive proved my original point, which was that 28 days is not generally considered a zombie movie on these specific forums, which evilned told me was untrue and has now admitted he was wrong on that single point.

Im not arguing your opinion of whether it is or it isnt, becuase frankly, its your opinion and your not going to change it no matter what i say, as much as im not going to change mine.. this is another "like or dislike land?" or "runners vs shamblers" topic, which everyone has their own opinion and answer to it and theirs is right, no-one is going to disprove it.

United States
    I think a lot of the opinions expressed in this thread have a lot to do with when you became a zombie movie fan. For me, I watched tons of zombie movies prior to becoming a GAR fan. NOTLD was just one movie back then, and wasn't my favorite. In terms of sheer scope it was fairly small. If you look at the movie without Dawn in the picture the threat started and ended in one night.

My point is that the "zombie movie" was well established before GAR got a hold of it. If GAR created a genre (and I think Matheson has grounds to disagree) it wasn't zombies movies.

I personally despise the use of "generally accepted" as an argument. On either side of the debate. Truth is not defined by large groups of people believing something.

Zombies are "generally accepted" to be creatures that wander around saying "Brraaaaaaaainnnnss..."