View Poll Results: ANDYS ADDED POLL - is 28 days later a zombie movie?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No it isnt.

18 64.29%
  • Yes it is.

10 35.71%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Dear Growling, Running, Twitching Zombie...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    This thread is starting to make Rodney King cry...

Wise words, and I think I contributed on some level to the appearance of discord, so my apologies. It is sure easy to get worked up over our differences in opinion over issues such as these when what we should always remember how much we actually do have in common.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Wise words, and I think I contributed on some level to the appearance of discord, so my apologies. It is sure easy to get worked up over our differences in opinion over issues such as these when what we should always remember how much we actually do have in common.
    No worries dude...we've all been there. I have to remind myself, we're such fanboys that if we step back & take a look we're basically arguing who would win in a fight, Superman or Mighty Mouse (*geez* everybody knows Superman would win 'cuz he's a real guy!... )

United States
    No worries dude...we've all been there. I have to remind myself, we're such fanboys that if we step back & take a look we're basically arguing who would win in a fight, Superman or Mighty Mouse (*geez* everybody knows Superman would win 'cuz he's a real guy!... )
    Mighty Mouse is pretty powerful too in his own right, but your point is well taken!

Thanks for your understanding, brother!
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Mighty Mouse is pretty powerful too in his own right, but your point is well taken!

Thanks for your understanding, brother!
    I almost use Kirk vs Picard as my geek metaphor, but that one just popped into my head from somewhere...

Fresh Meat

Undisclosed
    I just want to say too Rosarche is an amazing character

Whether it is hilarious and silly aside -I find it to be a little rude to dismiss someone's post. If you find the subject matter to be so hilarious and silly, why do you bother posting on this particular thread instead of simply ignoring the thread altogether.

In the case of The Crazies, I don't really think that these folks were operating in the confines of reality, so whether or not this makes them aware is a matter of opinion - my argument would be that they were not. In the case of RABID, I would definetly say that these folks were not aware and their actions were closer to those of the rage infected of the 28 days/weeks. BTW: Do check out Rabid, I think you will dig it!

I kind of understand where you are coming from about The Crazies, BTW. While I do enjoy that film, it is certainly not one of Romero's best works.
    The discussion of what makes a movie a ''zombie'' movie is valid- I wasn't dimissing that point- I just think if someone gets as angry and worked up about it as the topic starter, they probably need anger management.

I mean come on, I have disagreed with some here, but it really doesn't upset me what anyone else considers a zombie movie - it does get a bit annoying when people are hypocritical about it, but never angry.
    Last edited by JSPoole; 21-Apr-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

United States
    I think what's obvious is that a Dawn '04 zombie is what rises when a Rage Infected human dies after being bitten by a NOTLD ghoul.

And whether or not they're anything like vampires is just silly because everyone knows vampires aren't real.

And the poll clearly shows that either (1) 28 Days/Weeks is obviously NOT a zombie movie or (2) the poll was not worded correctly because it obviously IS a zombie movie.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

And the poll clearly shows that either (1) 28 Days/Weeks is obviously NOT a zombie movie or (2) the poll was not worded correctly because it obviously IS a zombie movie.

So, wait a second...the poll shows (currently) that just over a third of responders think that 28 Days Later is a zombie movie. Now, setting aside the fact that this is a tiny population to poll, one third is a sizable chunk of responders for something you allude to being a cut and dry matter...especially considering this is a GAR fansite.

Personally, I expected the responses to be more skewed away from 28 Days Later being a zombie film and assume it will skew that way further over the next few weeks as people amble onto the topic, vote and necro it.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    ... we're basically arguing who would win in a fight, Superman or Mighty Mouse (*geez* everybody knows Superman would win 'cuz he's a real guy!... )
    well let me ask you this: who'd win in a fight between superman and thor? thor is a god afterall. he probably crush superman's balls with mjollnir, causing superman to have to run off the fortress of solitude to put ice on them.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    well let me ask you this: who'd win in a fight between superman and thor? thor is a god afterall. he probably crush superman's balls with mjollnir, causing superman to have to run off the fortress of solitude to put ice on them.
    Ooooohhhh no...I'm not goin' THERE!!!

(Ok....I am...Supe's invulnerability doesn't extend to magic. Thor's hammer is made of mystical Uru metal, plus has all kinds of enchantments laid on top of it, so yeah...kinda have to agree. Unless of course Superman relies on his super speed, in which case Thor might not be able to land a hit on him....)

HpotD Curry Champion krakenslayer's Avatar

Scotland
    Yeah, but considering Superman can push planets out of orbit, can fly so fast he travels back in time, that his powers basically seem to be adjusted to whatever situation he is in (i.e. sometimes struggles to lift a heavy bus, yet sometimes lifts a continent off the face of the earth with only a little more exertion), and that he is more or less immortal, I'd say Superman is - for all intents and purposes - just as much a god as Thor is.

After all, what is a god if not simply a being that's more powerful than we could ever hope to be?

Can't believe I'm having this conversation.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So, wait a second...the poll shows (currently) that just over a third of responders think that 28 Days Later is a zombie movie. Now, setting aside the fact that this is a tiny population to poll, one third is a sizable chunk of responders for something you allude to being a cut and dry matter...especially considering this is a GAR fansite.
    Lol - I was pure tongue-in-cheek my friend. Poking fun at the tendency of HPOTD polls to leave people in the majority or in the group that claims the poll's wording was bad. And I'm guilty of being in both categories - sometimes in the same poll!!!

Thor vs. Superman. What a stupid conversation. This could never happen. Thor is Marvel and Superman is DC. Geesh...

And Superman would win. He's got higher marketability.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Ooooohhhh no...I'm not goin' THERE!!!

(Ok....I am...Supe's invulnerability doesn't extend to magic. Thor's hammer is made of mystical Uru metal, plus has all kinds of enchantments laid on top of it, so yeah...kinda have to agree. Unless of course Superman relies on his super speed, in which case Thor might not be able to land a hit on him....)

dudes, dudes, dudes - this was a total joke in response to the mighty mouse/superman throwdown. i wasn't seriously intending to start a discussion about it.

our collective nerdiness still amazes me.

this is it a zombie movie or not is starting to sound like the "tastes great!", "less filling!" beer commercials.
    Last edited by Mike70; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:14 PM.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    dudes, dudes, dudes - this was a total joke in response to the mighty mouse/superman throwdown. i wasn't seriously intending to start a discussion about it.
    Too late

Quote Originally Posted by Trin View Post

Thor vs. Superman. What a stupid conversation. This could never happen. Thor is Marvel and Superman is DC. Geesh...
    Ahh, but there have already been crossovers between the companies to allow the characters to meet and fight (Supes beat Thor...that time ).

And Superman would win. He's got higher marketability.
    Boooooo! I like Thor

Here's an interesting breakdown of a possible fight between the two and their different edges:

The Mighty Thor and Superman are the heavy-hitters of Marvel and DC respectively, each of them arguably the most powerful hero in their respective universes. So its natural that this is the most discussed versus debate amongst comic book fans. No other versus battle comes close to being talked about as much than this one. Some of you may remember our “Top 10 Most Powerful Superheroes” list that we released a while back, where we made the controversial claim that Thor was the most powerful superhero of all time (Superman coming in at number three on that list). Months later we are still receiving emails either agreeing with us, or flaming us for that decision. Many fans cite Superman’s speed as the deciding factor in any fight between the two behemoths. Other emails claiming that Thor’s magical powers would be enough to stop the man of steel in his tracks. So, the natural question is, do we still stand by our claim that Thor is more powerful than Superman? The answer is still “yes.” In this article we’ll break down the seven most common arguments and give you our take on them.

1. Super Strength

The claim has often been made that Superman is stronger than Thor. Many times on versus forums threads this claim is accepted as a given by both sides of the debate. We don’t concede that the Man of Steel is physically stronger than the god of thunder though. Thor has performed feats such as lifting the World Serpent, and once hurled the Odinsword, an enormous mystical blade, through a Celestial. A Celestial! Thor has also single-handedly matched the strength of the Hulk on numerous occasions (the Marvel Universe’s strongest character). Not only that but Thor is capable of entering into a state known as the “Warrior’s Madness”, which will temporarily increase his strength tenfold. Some of these feats have no true equivalent in the DC universe. We think at the very least, the two character’s physical strength is equal.

2 . Super Speed

This is Superman’s one true advantage in this fight. Superman is fast. We’re talking warp speed fast. We’re talking once around the entire planet and back before you can blink fast. You could easily make the argument that Thor would be lucky if he even saw Superman before he got pounded. But is Thor as slow as everyone seems to think? Unknown to many DC fanboys Thor can throw his hammer at the speed of light (See Thor#140, Thor#274). He can also swing it at TWICE the speed of light (Journey Into Mystery#102). In Thor -#393- it’s established that the speed of Thor’s hammer TRANSCENDS both TIME & SPACE. In addition Thor can appear anywhere across the Universe or other dimensions in just seconds (see- FF#339, and Thor#166). And, most importantly, Thor could, visually, detect objects that move at fantastic speeds (this happened when Thor was the target of artillery fire- see Invaders#33- and Avengers-#281- when he saw the speedy Hermes. And yes, I do need a life). It’s true that he doesn’t use these abilities often, but how many times have you seen Superman not use his super speed when he should have?

3. Stanima

Who can take more punishment, Thor or Superman? This is a difficult question. Thor has withstood a blast from Asgardian Destroyer. Superman has withstood a direct hit from a nuclear bomb. Thor has taken everything the Hulk could dish out. Thor also once took a glancing hit by a Doomsday Bomb that was capable of destroying an entire planet, and soon after that explosion he fell from space (leaving a crater miles wide) to a planet called Pangoria-see Thor#387. Both characters have come back from the dead a couple of times. In my mind this one is a draw. Both characters have approximately the same stanima. The difference is Superman has weaknesses (i.e. Kryptonite and Magic) whereas Thor pretty much doesn’t.

4. Magic

Even the most diehard Superman fan would concede that Thor’s magical abilities would be an advantage for Thor. First, I would like to note that just because an opponent can wield magic, it in no way guarantees a win over the last son of Krypton. Superman has defeated countless magic users in the past, and so I have no illusions that just because Thor has magic powers and a magic hammer that he would automatically own Superman. That being said magic is just as lethal against supes as kryptonite. Superman has no defense against it, and it can affect him greatly. Superman getting pounded by Mjolnir is the same as you and me getting pounded by a normal hammer. And consider the guy who’s swinging it. It’s Thor. The god of thunder. Not only that, but Thor’s lightning is magical too. Remember that just a single lightning bolt is equivalent to 15,000,000 volts of electricity and could travel over 224,000 miles an hour. The clear advantage here goes to Thor.

5. Super Powers

Before Thor inherited the Odinforce, the super powers of these two heroes were a little more even. Now there is absolutely no contest. Thor has a clear edge over Superman here. His magical hammer gives Thor the ability to control the weather, the ability to fly; energy projection and absorption; dimensional apertures; matter manipulation, as well as the most powerful of his offensives: the God Blast, and the Anti-Force. Superman is no push over in this department either, with the already mentioned super strength, super speed, as well as heat vision, x-ray vision, enhanced senses, and the ability to blow hurricane force winds from his mouth. But what is that compared to being able to summon an actual hurricane? Not only that but with the Odinforce Thor was then capable of feats such as reconstructing the Earth’s Moon, willing the Asgardian monster Mangog into nothingness, and by focusing his entire power into a hammer throw even decapitated a Desak-occupied Asgardian Destroyer. Having accepted his heritage as the son of the earth goddess Gaea, he has recently been shown to be capable of opening chasms in the earth itself, and who knows what other abilities he’ll be displaying now that he’s done that.

6. Superman beat Thor in the Avengers / DC Crossover

I don’t want to spend much time on this one. Most fans of comics know how much weight we should give to crossovers. I personally have no doubt that Superman would beat Galactus in a crossover. He’s DC’s flagship character after all. Enough said on that one.

7. Thor has Thousands of Years of Combat Experience

This is a common argument used by Thor fans to claim that Thor would take down Superman. It seems fairly obvious. If I somehow gained super powers and a Viking Warrior somehow gained the exact same or nearly equivalent powers, most people would put their money on the Viking if we fought each other. Now imagine the Viking warrior was thousands of years older than me, and had been using his powers for all those thousands of years to battle trolls, giants, demons, robots, aliens, and gods, and I have only been using my powers for 20-30 years. It seems clear to me that the Viking Warrior god has a clear cut advantage over me in a fight. Again advantage Thor.

It seems obvious to me that Thor has a clear advantage over Superman in a fight. I don’t think that Thor is so powerful that there is no way that Superman could ever defeat him. But I believe that the majority of the time Thor would beat Superman in a one on one fight, assuming its not a fight to the death. If it is a fight to the death, then I think Thor would almost invariably win. So there you have it, the definitive answer to one of the most talked about and controversial debates in comic book nerdom. Brought to you by your pals at Old-Wizard.com.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 22-Apr-2009 at 03:28 PM.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    ^^

I guess the direction this thread has taken is only natural. It had run it's course but people still want to debate along the lines of, "tastes great, less filling".

Imo, I like it. Why can't we nerd out on different things?

Man cannot live on zombies/infected alone.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Administrator

England
    I Cant beleive this topic is still going and is now soooooo far from the original point.. im putting this topic to sleep before it degenerates into flaming.