View Poll Results: ANDYS ADDED POLL - is 28 days later a zombie movie?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No it isnt.

18 64.29%
  • Yes it is.

10 35.71%
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Growling, Running, Twitching Zombie...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I once walked into a video store to find The Shawshank Redemption under the Romance section, but that doesn't make it a Romance.

28 Days Later is a viral outbreak film. NOT a zombie film. If viral outbreak films were considered zombie films, does that mean 12 Monkeys is a zombie film? What about The Crazies, Outbreak, or The Andromeda Strain?

The infected in 28 Days Later are not dead, so they are not zombies. Unfortunately most of the movie-going public think they are zomnbies because they're the same people that flock to Saw 279, The Grudge, and the like.

No, people think they're Zombies because THEY ACT THE SAME GOD DAMN WAY !!!!!

(Not at Bassman directly)

And yes, you are 100% correct it is a viral outbreak film, but that's not the point.

The point is not what type of film it is but the enemy that's in them and what type of characteristics they exhibit.

Oh, snap!! I just realized that We sound like a bunch of Star trek Nerds explaining the difference between Romulans and Vulcans. Think about it.....

Now that's one to grow on.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DjfunkmasterG View Post
    See, Darth gets it.

Maybe my debut album, but, the runner thing has been going on a lot longer. and YES Boyle did start it, if you look at 28 Days Later, and then go look at DAWN 04, DAWN 04 copied many of the shot styles. hence it is BOYLES fault.

Zombies or not, the press consider them zombies, pretty much the general public consider them zombies... so what looks like a duck and walks/runs like a duck must be a turkey

Hack Snyder did not start the phenomenon running "zombies" - and I am using the term for the sake of clarity and consistency with this particular argument though I am not sure that I actually consider them zombies per se - and I argue that Boyle is also guitly of ripping the running "zombies" bit as well.

RABID, the film starring Marilyn Chambers (may she rest in peace) by David Cronenberg, predated Boyles work by at least 20 years, and featured running and homicidally inclined "infected" members of society (not a bad film all things considered) And in some ways, if we are going to consider infected homicidal running dudes as zombies, then our beloved GAR started this even before Cronenberg in THE CRAZIES.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Apr-2009 at 05:05 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    But there is no difference between Romulans and vulcans!

So, since you discount 28 days later zombies, would you also discount the Hatian zombie films that came before Night of the living dead? Are these not zombie films because they don't fit into the narrow definition that Romero created?
    "if wishs were fishes we'd all cast nets" - Gurney Hallack

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

Oh, snap!! I just realized that We sound like a bunch of Star trek Nerds explaining the difference between Romulans and Vulcans. Think about it.....

Now that's one to grow on.

We are just as bad as those nerds, aren't we? Ok, I'm packing up my 12 sided dice and trading cards now, this is too much reality for me!
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Modern running zombies, however, in contrast to ROTLD and Cronenbergs stuff, also come with their handheld cameras, their twitching ticks, their raptor roars. So they are the MTV running zombies, and yes, I guess Danny Boyle is who really brought them along. But Zack Snyder still holds responsibility for "remaking" Dawn with shittier, faster, more annoying zombies.

EDIT: Also, I don't give a damn about the biological differences between the zombies of Dawn and 28. All I'm saying is that to rule-out the 28 films because the characters in the film call them "infected" rather than zombies/ghouls, when EVERYTHING ELSE, (read EXACTLY EVERYTHING) is directly influenced by zombiefilms... Not "viral outbreak whatever not even a genre" films...

"Hi, what kinda films do you like?"

"Oh, I like Viral Outbreak films."

Never, ever heard anyone say that, by the way.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 15-Apr-2009 at 05:11 PM.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    They're obviously not the same creature. In "28 Days Later", the infected humans die of starvation in a matter of weeks. The living dead don't do that. Also, at the beginning of "Dawn of the Dead (2004)", Anna's husband dies and resurects.

The give away is also in the title........."Dawn of the...ahem...Dead".

The infected can be brought down by shots (or other damage) anywhere. The zombies in "Dawn of the Dead" have to be shot in the head.

I don't see any similarity, except that the both can run the hundred yard dash.

I would also argue that Snyder's fast zombies are also "infected"- albeit with a different infection - since Snyder raped Romero's rules and defined that you would only go zombie after you die if and only if you had been bitten by a zombie. That motherfucker!
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Apr-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Canada
    I thought that Vulcans were 3 times stronger or so then a human but Romulans lost that strength through some stupid star trek bio-bable?

Also Star Wars is better then star trek, Katanas are higher quality then European swords, Americans have the best trained military in the world, Germans are all nazis, Insane Clown Posse are the best muscians in the world, The Resident Evil series was never scary, Halo is better then Half-life, Ps3 is better then the 360, WII is the best console ever, Obama is a tool, WOW is the best game ever, and starcraft is a rip off of Warhammer 40k.

Now, with the original topic included, a good majority of troll topics are covered, enjoy!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I would also argue that Snyder's fast zombies are also "infected"- albeit with a different infection - since Snyder raped Romero's rules and defined that you would only go zombie after you die if and only if you had been bitten by a zombie. That motherfucker!
    Very good point! If 28 Days Later counts as a "Viral outbreak" film, then so do ALL zombiefilms where the zombies are actually just infected by a disease that causes their corpse to walk... And eat. Which means that Dawn of the Dead 04 is not a zombiefilm, but a "Viral Outbreak" film. Yet, you'll never find anyone to argue that case. :P

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    But Zack Snyder still holds responsibility for "remaking" Dawn with shittier, faster, more annoying zombies.
    Reminds me of the Six Million Dollar Man intro. "We can remake the zombie - we have the technology to make him shittier than he was before."

Super Moderator

United States
    Well, to me, 28 Days Later & 28 Weeks later are zombie films because they fit thematically and the infected are "mindless zombies", though not of the undead variety.

Perhaps we should start referring to all these non-Voodoo/Vodou/Vodun undead shamblers as something other than zombies.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    Hack Snyder did not start the phenomenon running "zombies" - and I am using the term for the sake of clarity and consistency with this particular argument though I am not sure that I actually consider them zombies per se - and I argue that Boyle is also guitly of ripping the running "zombies" bit as well.

RABID, the film starring Marilyn Chambers (may she rest in peace) by David Cronenberg, predated Boyles work by at least 20 years, and featured running and homicidally inclined "infected" members of society (not a bad film all things considered) And in some ways, if we are going to consider infected homicidal running dudes as zombies, then our beloved GAR started this even before Cronenberg in THE CRAZIES.

My friend,

Me thinks this debate has gotten a little side tracked and confused.

No one is saying that the infected from 28 days/weeks later are zombies as so many in this thread have alleged. My point is that they exhibit virtually the same characteristics as the runners from DAwn 04'. That much is indisputable.

With that being said how can some one just love them in 28 days but hate them in dawn 04'? It make no sense. Oh wait a minute....it does. All things being the same it must have something to do with the title " Dawn of the Dead" or the director, because the monsters in the respective films are, for all intents and purposes, the same.

Again, this is not about the quality of the films but the monsters that are in them.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    ... because the monsters in the respective films are, for all intents and purposes, the same.
    Agreed. They are. Which is why it's silly to label one of the films as a "zombie" film, and the other one is not. When you'd recommend both films to a friend who inquired about good zombiefilms! (Good, bad, whatever)

Anyway, the difference between 28 Days Later and Dawn to me is... The script. And the direction. 28 Days Later has many moments of suspense in the script and manages to stick with the number one emotion that zombies evoke: Hopelessness.

Super Moderator

United States
    how can some one just love them in 28 days but hate them in dawn 04'? It make no sense. Oh wait a minute....it does. All things being the same it must have something to do with the title " Dawn of the Dead" or the director, because the monsters in the respective films are, for all intents and purposes, the same.
    QFMT*!

I liked your style Darth. Let's give something to the Dawn '04 haters, let's bring in allll the contentious old school v. new school zombie movie issues

*=quoted for mother fuckin' truth.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Very good point! If 28 Days Later counts as a "Viral outbreak" film, then so do ALL zombiefilms where the zombies are actually just infected by a disease that causes their corpse to walk... And eat. Which means that Dawn of the Dead 04 is not a zombiefilm, but a "Viral Outbreak" film. Yet, you'll never find anyone to argue that case. :P
    Exactly, and DOTD 68 <--- the good version - not a viral outbreak film, DAWN 04, only resembles DOTD in name, setting. The threatening element - so called zombies - are actually "infected" and not zombies at all.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    QFMT*!

I liked your style Darth. Let's give something to the Dawn '04 haters, let's bring in allll the contentious old school v. new school zombie movie issues

*=quoted for mother fuckin' truth.

Exactly !!

Let's finish this once and for all!! It ends here dammitt !!