View Poll Results: ANDYS ADDED POLL - is 28 days later a zombie movie?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • No it isnt.

18 64.29%
  • Yes it is.

10 35.71%
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Growling, Running, Twitching Zombie...

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    I see where you're going with this MZ and--for the record--I agree with you. There was no voodoo in Night of the Living Dead, was there? Glad to see we're on the same page.

Listen up, all, MZ and I would like to jointly declare that NOTLD is not, I repeat, NOT a zombie movie.

Glad we could agree on that, MZ.

Hi five dude !!

This is a hot thread today huh?

I like it !! We haven't had a discussion this lively and at the same time respectfull, albeit sarcastic, in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    To draw the line between genres the way you do is simply crazy, tho. 28 Days Later can pass for a zombiefilm every step of the way, except for the fact that the "zombies" are not "zombies" as you are used to them. I've yet to see a good, lasting argument for why these films aren't zombiefilms.

I got one for ya ned. Add Dawn 04' to your netflix q. Now, look at all the movies that pop up "that you might also like". I'll bet you dollars to donuts that 28 days/weeks later pops up.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm surprised none of you "28 Days/Weeks Later are zombie films" people have bitched about the Robert Carlisle character in 28WL ...
    Oh? How so? You mean those scenes where the kid was seeing his Dad? Did you think his Dad was actually there and the kid wasn't imagining him? Or do you mean the momentary bits of recognition Carlisle's character showed when attacking his family members? That's not really comparable to teaching another infected how to use a gun, though...is it?

Come on, MZ...clearly terms change and expand, just as the term 'zombie' had to change and expand to include the Dead franchise and all the imitators it spawned. The term zombie is now commonly held to refer to all sorts of people exhibiting mindless behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post

This is a hot thread today huh?
    It is fun to have an active back and forth about zombies and not pirates or Bush or Obama for a change. Even if the whole thing is predicated on us all disagreeing over semantics.

Good convo on all accounts.
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Cheers.

Also, with the recent discussion, here are my thoughts:

Rabid - rabies-like virus spread by a chick with a monster in her armpit, totally different to Shivers which has a weird slug thing that fancies going into open orifices to turn its victims into sex-crazed loons ... ... and that's different from The Crazies, where a biological man-made weapon turns ordinary folk into homicidal maniacs ... ... which is different from 28D/WL where humans get infected with a virus and become infected humans who are constantly mistaken as zombies by people who refuse to put the effort into establishing a difference () ... ...

*gasps*

Then Yawn04 has dead people, who ARE zombies ... but they fucking run ... ugh. Now - those zombies are actually the same as those in Dead Set...in both these two things they run and they roar up a storm like raptors ... ... but in Dead Set they don't fly, so...there's still a difference.
    Once again, very well said and well taken!!!

Though at the risk of opening up another can of worms so to speak, the orifice loving slug in SHIVERS (aka: They Came From Within) is also a man-made biological weapon of sorts, though made for a different purpose than the "Trixie" bio-weapon of "The Crazies"
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:27 PM.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Nice one, Aces.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Just had a thought....

"Slither"

Zombies or not?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Why is it so crazy? To me, zombies are DEAD PEOPLE. 28 Days/Weeks is about people that are ALIVE and infected with a virus. Soooo....I don't see it as a zombie film. Shouldn't be that hard to wrap your head around.
    The people in 28 Days Later act exactly like the zombies of Dawn 04. With the little distinction that they are not dead... They still bear no semblence of their former self, and their entire body has been turned into a survivor-killing machine. How can anyone in their right mind choose to define genres by this little miniscule detail, when they share ALL OTHER things? Infact, 28 Days Laters "monsters" have more incommon with Dawn 04s "Monsters", than Dawn 04s "Monsters" have with Night 68's. Yet you accept Dawn 04 and Night 68 in the same genre.

And yes, Darth Los, another point for the 28 Days is Zombie-case. Thanks.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo View Post
    I am in agreement too, since they were "Ghouls" - a term I prefer to "zombies"

We are really just arguing semantics here, arent we?
    That's funny because I prefer the term ghouls to zombies as well.

It was first "coined" by the t.v. newsman in night.

If my memory serves me correctly the term "zombies" is only used once, by Peter, in the entire trilogy.

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Just had a thought....

"Slither"

Zombies or not?
    Well, whatever they are they sure as hell ain't "Ghouls"

But along those lines, what of those weirdos in the boardwalk dancehall of "Carnival of Souls" - they sure look like "zombies" and they run too!

Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    That's funny because I prefer the term ghouls to zombies as well.

It was first "coined" by the t.v. newsman in night.

If my memory serves me correctly the term "zombies" is only used once, by Peter, in the entire trilogy.

Also by Kaufman in LAND, though not part of the holy trinity.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Yet you accept Dawn 04 and Night 68 in the same genre.
    I don't actually. Yawn is an action film. Not horror like Night.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I don't actually. Yawn is an action film. Not horror like Night.
    Well, common consensus has them placed in the same genre (along with 28 Days Later), and this is what defines genres to begin with. There's no "one person" who defines a genre.

Super Moderator

United States
    Just had a thought....

"Slither"

Zombies or not?
    Hrmmm...I can't add an opinion. Never saw Slither...it looked pretty bad. And I mean bad-bad, not good-bad

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    There's no "one person" who defines a genre.
    Of course not. That's why it's opinion.

Aces....I was the same about Slither, but it actually turned out to be a fun movie. It's more of a comedy than anything else. You should check it out.
    Last edited by bassman; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:46 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Of course not. That's why it's opinion.
    Right, well I'm not discussing opinions, I'm discussing why 28 Days Later is a zombiemovie (And thus, I am discussing genres).

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    "Are we gonna split hairs here, Donny?"

United States
    I'd agree that Dawn '04 and 28 Days/Weeks belong in the same genre. But the genre they share is not zombies. It's apocalyptic survival horror. Movies like Dawn '04, 28 Days/Weeks, I Am Legend, and Omega Man all appeal to a similar crowd. But it's not because the creature is the same. It's because the threat is. Are the vampire/infected in Legend zombies? No. Clearly not.

Running Zombies and Infected are not the same just because you treat them the same way when they run at you. That's just ridiculous. Is a virus the same as a bacteria just because I wash my hands to keep from getting them? No.

I maintain that the supernatural and religious implications of a dead body returning to life presents a HUGE psychological difference between the two. And that psychological difference governs heightens the fear of zombies in ways Infected cannot achieve. I'd also contend that Dawn '04 did zombies a disservice by handling them outside that psychological effect, essentially treating them as infected humans.
    Last edited by Trin; 15-Apr-2009 at 06:57 PM.