Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who here reads the walking dead?

United States
    just got the first hardcover in the mail today. will begin reading tonight. very impressed with what i saw just flipping through the pages.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorChaos View Post
    just got the first hardcover in the mail today. will begin reading tonight. very impressed with what i saw just flipping through the pages.
    Mwuhahahahaha! I'm happy for you, man. Now when you say hardcover, is it one of the anthologies (not so hard, but harder than a floppy-covered monthly comic book), or one of those huge, honkin' collected editions (over an inch thick easily, in case you're not sure)?

Either way, I'll be interested in your opinion.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    no, it's the big hardcover book.

and it is fucking sweet. only made it through the first chapter, the part which concludes with rick's son learing about the difference between killing living people and dead people. i've already decided i'm going to order the other 3 hardcovers. i was fucking insta-hooked, dude. what a great story.

along with wwz, probably the best zombie-related original story to hit in the last decade. i really can't speak enough to how great the story has been so far....better than any recent zombie movie, that's for sure. where the fuck have i been since this came out? thanks to all who recommended this!
    Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 29-Apr-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    ive been a reader since issue one, got first printings of them all but lately ive kind of been bored by it, i think there sort of losing a direction for the characters, and they hinted a year or so back that "even if rick and the guys die" theres other peoples stories going on" or something like that, honestly i can see a new group bieng writeten about soon discovered ricks group, now part of a zombie herd after an attack they finally couldnt defend.
    Maybe its just how everyone seems to hate everything now, back in earlier issues like the town they reach in winter thats been used to trap zombies, or the whole first volume it felt like a real survival story, where people where against the elements, and even the ombies were a force of nature, then the travelling arc was great too, some real character development you dont usually get. the prison arc though was where i got bored with it, the later portion involving rick and a phone was actually powerful stuff compared to the other events going on but right now it feels like resisdent evil extinction, there the only ones left in a barren world and we'll see this and nothing else for a long time.

-Though in hindsight ive recently got into preacher adn transmepolitan so maybe im just in the mood for a different type of comic lately.

United States
    why is it so hard to find a copy of the 2nd hardcover book? every website i visit is out of stock...just got books 3 and 4 in the mail today, but they're just gonna have to sit there till i can find a copy of book 2 at a semi-reasonable price...

there appears to be two different editions (2 different ISBN's) listed on amazon at the moment, anyone have any idea what's missing in the edition with less pages?

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-B...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-B...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

was thinking of ordering the cheaper one, but sometimes amazon vendors will fuck you in situations like these (see NOTLD 30th anniversary edition threads for details)

Super Moderator

United States
    why is it so hard to find a copy of the 2nd hardcover book? every website i visit is out of stock...just got books 3 and 4 in the mail today, but they're just gonna have to sit there till i can find a copy of book 2 at a semi-reasonable price...

there appears to be two different editions (2 different ISBN's) listed on amazon at the moment, anyone have any idea what's missing in the edition with less pages?

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-B...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-B...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

was thinking of ordering the cheaper one, but sometimes amazon vendors will fuck you in situations like these (see NOTLD 30th anniversary edition threads for details)
    Not sure why it's so hard to find, but I saw 6 of them sitting out on a shelf at Midtown Comics today. See if they will mail order one to you and if the price is okay. Note: You might want to call them, as I didn't see any copies listed on their website, but know I saw them shelved at their Manhattan location.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    their website has a limited signed edition listed at $50.99...which is a bit more than i'd care to pay.

i have an one on order from amazon, but it's backordered and they haven't even given an estimated shipping date...and books 3 and 4 sit idly on my bookshelf with shrinkwrap on them.

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post
    ive been a reader since issue one, got first printings of them all but lately ive kind of been bored by it, i think there sort of losing a direction for the characters, and they hinted a year or so back that "even if rick and the guys die" theres other peoples stories going on" or something like that, honestly i can see a new group bieng writeten about soon discovered ricks group, now part of a zombie herd after an attack they finally couldnt defend.
    Maybe its just how everyone seems to hate everything now, back in earlier issues like the town they reach in winter thats been used to trap zombies, or the whole first volume it felt like a real survival story, where people where against the elements, and even the ombies were a force of nature, then the travelling arc was great too, some real character development you dont usually get. the prison arc though was where i got bored with it, the later portion involving rick and a phone was actually powerful stuff compared to the other events going on but right now it feels like resisdent evil extinction, there the only ones left in a barren world and we'll see this and nothing else for a long time.

-Though in hindsight ive recently got into preacher adn transmepolitan so maybe im just in the mood for a different type of comic lately.
    SLIGHT SPOILER

I have been reading since about 6 or 7.... I think Kirkman lost his touch for a while there with the major blood...er I mean Governor. He was pretty 1 dimensional and predictable even returning from what should certainly killed him.

That aside I think Kirkman write a book that is honest and pretty realistic and keeps you guessing. When it stays on schedule it is something I look forward to every month.

Nice to finally see a thread here on TWD.
    Last edited by CooperWasRight; 14-May-2009 at 02:06 AM.
    Check out my 3 min zombie short for the diary contest.
    Among the Dead
    http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=29079528

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post

As a matter of interest, does anyone buy the monthly editions? If so, what number is that particular part of the series up to?
    I have been buying since issue 1 and have first edition printings of them all (including the super rare issue 2, only a couple thousand were first print). The good news is that since Kirkman became a partner at Image the issues have finally been coming out on a regular monthly basis instead of sporadically like they used to be.

They are currently on issue 61, which came out today and that issue was amazing. My jaw hit the floor more than once, Kirkman has done it once again and shocked me more than I thought a comic could.

Ben killing Billy, his twin brother, was crazy, his reply even more insane "Don't worry mommy, he'll come back, I didn't hurt the brain." Then Carl sneaking into the van to kill Ben was even more shocking. Then this whole new preacher finding them and the people hiding in the woods at the end... I can't wait a month for the next issue!
    Check out my dvd collection @ http://jonas190.dvdaf.com/owned

My Gamertag is reculse189

Join me on Kongregate, its a cool game site
    http://www.kongregate.com?referrer=Jonas190

United States
    well, i finally got a copy of the 2nd hardcover sit down with all four books and read the entire story from issues 1-48. and holy fuck, what an awesome read. if you're a fan of Romero's films and haven't got around to checking this out, the hype is definitely legit, trust me.

so, anyone have any idea when the fifth hardcover book is due out? since the hardcover books contain 12 issues and jonas says he just got issue 61, it should be arriving shortly, right?

the 4th hardcover ends with the massacre between the governor's cronies and rick's group, tons of main character deaths (including rick's wife and the baby), and the prison being overrun and rick and his son fleeing on foot with a backpack of supplies. that was a fucking crazy ending, and one hell of a cliff-hanger.....i can't wait to find out what happens next!

Zombie Flesh Eater

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadJonas190 View Post
    I have been buying since issue 1 and have first edition printings of them all (including the super rare issue 2, only a couple thousand were first print). The good news is that since Kirkman became a partner at Image the issues have finally been coming out on a regular monthly basis instead of sporadically like they used to be.

They are currently on issue 61, which came out today and that issue was amazing. My jaw hit the floor more than once, Kirkman has done it once again and shocked me more than I thought a comic could.

Ben killing Billy, his twin brother, was crazy, his reply even more insane "Don't worry mommy, he'll come back, I didn't hurt the brain." Then Carl sneaking into the van to kill Ben was even more shocking. Then this whole new preacher finding them and the people hiding in the woods at the end... I can't wait a month for the next issue!

i know right?, fucked up as shit, though i hope the preacher is more of a voice of reason in this, making him another "preacher whos gona crazy" would be bullshit, hell when i was 12 i wrote something very similar, and when i was 12 i couldnt write for shit.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    well, i finally got a copy of the 2nd hardcover sit down with all four books and read the entire story from issues 1-48. and holy fuck, what an awesome read. if you're a fan of Romero's films and haven't got around to checking this out, the hype is definitely legit, trust me.
    the hype sure is legit. i've only read up to issue 48 so far and keep meaning to get the rest.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by hellsing View Post

i know right?, fucked up as shit, though i hope the preacher is more of a voice of reason in this, making him another "preacher whos gona crazy" would be bullshit, hell when i was 12 i wrote something very similar, and when i was 12 i couldnt write for shit.
    Well, do you think he might be....

A plant from the group that will seemingly be hunting Rick & co. in upcoming issues? Or would that be too obvious and this dude is just a head fake in that direction? I'm thinking he'll have another twist to him we're not supposed to see coming and he will be using Rick's group to get back to his own 'settlement' or make it to his own destination of choice. while possibly screening them in the interim to see how trustworthy/dangerous they are.

*Shrug* Who knows.

United States
    God bless it someone here reccomended the series to me about a year or two ago and got me hooked. Then I got a few people I know hooked. I'm not a big comic book kinda fan but its like watching storyboards for a movie. I love that the books are unpredictable and no one is safe. Breaks my heart when a treasured character dies but its so good because there's no book rating system that prohibits any kind of behavior, language, or scene. Its much more no-holds-barred. Good times
    You smell that? That's the smell of spring, and I love it. You know what I love to do in spring? I love to come out into the woods, to walk amongst the budding trees, to smell and taste the hint of renewal that hovers in the air like a heady perfume, and to listen to the song of the birds who have returned from their long sojourn south. And bury the people I killed during the winter...

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/84...d_1882969.html

United States
    the fifth hardcover book is available for pre-order on amazon now. release date is late january next year...

oh yeah, and this makes 1,500 posts