Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So who here reads the walking dead?

Administrator

England

So who here reads the walking dead?

Ive used to read them but i only got up to issue 6, i bought 7, 8 and 9 and have read them through and i have to say i am actually genuinely suprised by the story, i cant wait for 10 to come out

Super Moderator

United States
    It's weird that you bring up the Walking Dead today, as it occurred to me on the way in to work that I need to hustle over to Midtown Comics soon so I don't miss one or more issues, the book is known for its somewhat uneven schedule with regards to its floppy book releases.

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

United States
    I am a rabid fan.

The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain is already out and available here, I have read it and was impressed. After 8, you did not know what to expect I mean that was kind of a major arc. 9 was good if not a bit more of a gentle ride.

Great art, great characters, and Romero rules. What's not to love right?

Administrator

England
    Volume 8 was so intense, i could not put it down, literally could not.

United States
    I've got all of the large books, but now I'm just waiting for the next volume to come out. Great series!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Volume 8 was so intense, i could not put it down, literally could not.
    I totally agree, I was right there with you I read it in one sitting. Had to re-read it since to do a body count. What an amazing story though!

Super Moderator

United States
    Yeah, the whole no-one is safe arc was a nail-biter all the way through!

"Men choose as their prophets those who tell them that their hopes are true." --Lord Dunsany

capncnut
    I have the anthology book and have read about half of it. It's pretty decent.

Super Moderator

United States
    So I took a lunch today, went out and picked up the new Walking Dead (#60). It was a solid story, too short in the original format, as always, but very well done.

Good news is that there was a huuuuge 5 page(!) teaser spread for an upcoming story arc and it looked badass!

No spoiler info from me, of course.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by AcesandEights View Post
    So I took a lunch today, went out and picked up the new Walking Dead (#60). It was a solid story, too short in the original format, as always, but very well done.

Good news is that there was a huuuuge 5 page(!) teaser spread for an upcoming story arc and it looked badass!

No spoiler info from me, of course.

Okay I am getting anxious now!

Administrator

England
    Im actually confused by the numbering of the walking dead books, according to amazon volume 10 is the newest and not out yet, yet some people refer to issues and go up to 60?!

There's also the hardback, paperback and anthology walking dead's too.. what are those?

All i know for sure is i have volumes 1 to 9.

Super Moderator

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Im actually confused by the numbering of the walking dead books, according to amazon volume 10 is the newest and not out yet, yet some people refer to issues and go up to 60?!

The Walking Dead comes out as a traditional-style, monthly comic book (I referred to it as a 'floppy book' in above posts, because the pages & cover are soft and they...well...flop). Then there is the anthology and hardbacks, which are just collected issues of the book that vary by their size (i.e. number of collected issues per volume).

Buying the collected issues in the anthologies is the way to go from a cost perspective and gratifying to be able to read a decent length of the story in one go. The monthly comics are good to sate the immediate need for the story and also have a lively...usually quite long...letter section more often than not answered by Kirkman (the writer of the series).
    Last edited by AcesandEights; 21-Apr-2009 at 06:53 PM.

United States
    I only have the first 3, but am looking forward to getting caught up. My brother got me the first 2 and I have to agree they are very well done. Keep you wanting more...and more...and more.... And from what the rest of you have said, I need to get my butt in gear and get after the others!

United States
    i've been hearing lots about this, and was already planning on checking into the anthologies sometime soon. after reading so many positive reviews for the series, i'm pretty sure it'll be worth the time/money.

United States
    Got the 1st two graphic novels/trade paper backs a couple years ago (I'd say that's what you have Andy. They compile (3? 6?) issues to the TPB). Damn good stuff. Romero style zombies & a focus on the CHARACTERS & STORYTELLING. Only thing that has kept me from getting the rest is financial considerations...